Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

T-Mobile Consumer Global Plus (High Speed Global LTE Plan)

T-Mobile Consumer Global Plus (High Speed Global LTE Plan)

Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
5 GB of tethering is not enough.

What are you going to do, use 10 GB of data on your phone in a billing period watching videos?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
I regularly use 10+GB while on the go, lots of mobile document review, google maps, and not trusting hotel wifi unless I have to - rare is the month im under 15gb total usage domestic + intl. This plan also saves me a fortune in calls, from .20/min to 0 catches up quick
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:11 pm

I find it amazing that you seem to be capped to 5gb on device data for Canada and Mexico, but 15gbs elsewhere.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I find it amazing that you seem to be capped to 5gb on device data for Canada and Mexico, but 15gbs elsewhere.
It seems lots of Canadians took advantage of T-mobile. Since they have no decent unlmited plans in Canada, they were just signing up for US plan... which they used 100% in Canada. Hence the limit.

Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
I regularly use 10+GB while on the go, lots of mobile document review, google maps, and not trusting hotel wifi unless I have to - rare is the month im under 15gb total usage domestic + intl. This plan also saves me a fortune in calls, from .20/min to 0 catches up quick
I can't imagine how many documents you are reviewing that take 10gb of data. Documents and google maps will not get you anywhere near 10gb. You MUST be doing some kind of media over the connection be it youtube, netflix, hulu etc...

Re hotel wifi, I'd suggest investing in a VPN service.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I wonder if there is an option for data only (no calling) when overseas? I am overseas 95% of the year, but only use data.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by wco81
5 GB of tethering is not enough.

What are you going to do, use 10 GB of data on your phone in a billing period watching videos?
I suspect that it's really a ploy to limit it to 5GB and a bit more. But, it's not as if there's no practical way to use more. One way would be to rent HD movies on the iTunes Music Store. A feature-length HD movie can easily be 2.5GB or more. Connect your phone to a TV using HDMI and you see the movie in full resolution with 5.1 sound and the whole bit.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:37 pm
Suspended

I just came back from 3 weeks in New Zealand.

Got 30 GB of data, used 22 GB for about $45.

tethered to laptop and iPhone off iPad.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:49 am

I have the Global Plus 15GB plan and something weird is that on https://my.t-mobile.com/usage it shows my data allowance out of 15GB. I've had different reps tell me different information.

One TForce rep told me that Global Plus 15GB limits all data to 15GB internationally, and I should add it when I need it only.
Another TForce rep told me that Global Plus 15GB data usage is as the documentation says and on top of TMobile One.

I'm going to see if I start getting slower speeds in the USA after 15GB or not. I have yet to find a place to find out the breakdown of usage so I can see how much of my international 15GB is counted?

The bigs perks (if they work as expected):
  • Unlimited hotspot
  • Stateside calling
  • Free Simple Global calls in Simple Global countries
  • Gogo inflight
  • 15GB of data and some spare data for tethering
I used to have the One Plus International when I used to be with Tmobile, so the way I see it is that I'm paying $25 more for the data abroad and calling from abroad which more than enough pays for the cost of a sim. I'd have to pay $26 to get 20GB on Giffgaff in the UK without the free calling back to the USA, I normally use Whatsapp but calling direct has such higher quality and I very rarely lag internationally.

Last edited by Sintaku; Jan 31, 2019 at 3:57 am
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:08 pm
Suspended

$50 for 15 GB isn’t great.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:28 pm

$50 for 15 GB isnít great.
~$3.34 per gig is actually not that bad on the retail market... Especially to not have to deal with other SIMs and keep your own number...
Steve M and MaxBuck like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by squawk1200
~$3.34 per gig is actually not that bad on the retail market... Especially to not have to deal with other SIMs and keep your own number...
Well it is $50 for 15GB plus unlimited calling. Even if you factor in the cost of calling the foreign country using a cheap VoIP service like Google Voice it can work out better in some cases. Two cases below (one where you come out better and the second where you don't):

Japan
  • Can only buy a data sim and not a voice sim as a non-resident
  • 9c/minute to call a mobile in Japan
  • Say you spend 2 weeks there and call back to the USA 30 minutes a day and call Japan 30 minutes a day (potential value of $37.80 calling Japan using Google Voice as the USA free on GV)
  • Say you also use 1GB per day of data (potential value of $60 using Project Fi capped at 6GB for charges on a single line)
  • Total $97.8 of value for $50
UK
  • Can buy a local voice SIM as anyone, for example GiffGaff so we will compare those
  • GiffGaff gives unlimited calling and 20GB of data for $26.42 (converted from 20 GBP) and you can use Google Voice to call home to the USA for free
  • Total $26.42 of value for $50
For me I also use the additional benefits such as unlimited tethering in the USA, and some countries are more expensive (Trinidad) than the USA and not having to get a local SIM (India) is awesome.

Last edited by Sintaku; Feb 7, 2019 at 3:25 am
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:47 pm
Suspended

I don't think it's unlimited tethering.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:25 am

I don't think it's unlimited tethering.
Good catch, I meant to say in the USA. I've updated it.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:18 pm

All about convenience. Sure a local sim is cheaper, but I’ve been in India, UK, US, Costa Rica, Germany this month alone. Never needed to bother with a local sim, and had full speed data everywhere instantly, while keeping my normal number and being able to make unlimited non-voip calls. Worth it for me.

EDIT: After using Global Plus EXACTLY as it is intended, they have sent me warning messages threatening to disconnect my line. There is no ability to talk to any human to contest this. Even if you use as little as 10mb abroad... so long as that is 50% higher than your domestic use, they will boot you off. See my post below for more details.
Steve M and LAXlocal like this.

Last edited by LordHamster; Apr 11, 2019 at 6:05 am
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:02 am

Leaving T-Mobile over stupid Warning message of too much roaming usage on Global Plus

Well,

I'm SUPER annoyed at T-Mobile after getting a "Warning" message on my Global Plus Unlimited line saying: "The Majority of the recent T-Mobile usage on line xxxxxxxxx has been roaming internationally. Per our terms and conditions roaming benefits are not intended for extensive use abroad."

I used 4.3GB of data the whole month which includes domestic and use abroad.

Last november (I think) I heard about the Global Plus Unlimited plan where for $50 on top of my One Plan per month per line, I could get unlimited Global high speed data/calls/text. As a frequent international traveler, I jumped on this immediately.

My work (Management Consulting) takes me to many international destinations, on average 2 times a month - no more than 10 days abroad. I'm generally in each place a few days to a week at most. I spend at least 20 days per month in the USA. Since signing up for Global Plus, I had been used it in the UK, Canada, Germany, India, Costa Rica, China, Qatar and a handful of other countries I may have transited. The service has worked as designed and been great.

Although I travel often, when I'm not traveling I get to work from home... which is where I spend the bulk of my time per month. My home is provisioned with gigabit ethernet and a fantastic ubiquiti networks wifi network, so I'm always on wifi when not traveling. Which seems to be the problem.

Based on my research, it seems that T-Mobile doesn't look at the amount of time you spend abroad but rather the on-network data usage. They simply look at the ratio of use aborad vs domestic use. Even if you spend 28 days in the US at home, you can still get dinged if your usage abroad is more than 50% of your monthly usage!! This IMO violates the spirit of the anti-abuse intentions.

The solution it seems is to turn off wifi at home (in the USA) and just download stuff or stream stuff relentlessly even if I COULD be on wifi. This would then adjust the ratio and keep me clear of warnings.

T-Mo doesn't want people who LIVE aboard using their roaming feature (which I get!).... but if the $50/month Global Plus plan isn't intended for people like me who just travel internationally... then WHO is it intended for? I can't imagine anyone who doesn't travel internationally at least once a month ever signing up for this service.

Personally, I don't feel like having to play games like artificially inflating my domestic usage in order to avoid getting booted off the network. Anyway, because of this insanity I'm leaving T-Mo and returning to Project FI.... where I never had these kinds of issues.
estnet likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.