Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Noise Cancelling--Bluetooth turned off?

Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Is it possible to use the noise canceling device in new headphones if the bluetooth is turned off? Planning to use the Apple MacBook Pro to connect with head phones. Can I just use noise canceling without the computer?

Thank you,
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by alpenrose
Is it possible to use the noise canceling device in new headphones if the bluetooth is turned off? Planning to use the Apple MacBook Pro to connect with head phones. Can I just use noise canceling without the computer?

Thank you,
My Bose QC 35ii's have a button to control noise cancellation. It works whether or not they're paired to a device.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: *G
For almost all existing products yes. Even if something didn't, you could feed through something at 1% volume.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:06 pm

Thank you,
Depends on the headset.

The Bose QC35 series are the best in this regard, as you can just sit there for hours listening to silence, with NC turned on, even without any bluetooth or corded connection. Be aware that some people will eventually feel a 'pressure' effect on their ears after sitting there for hours, wearing a NC headset.

The Sony 1000xm1, xm2, xm3 series are a bit more complicated. They will power off after a few minutes with no connection. But you can indeed connect the 3.5 mm headphone cable into a phone or PC, and this will prevent the headset from powering off, even with no Bluetooth connection and no sound coming through the 3.5 mm jack. Also, the Sony series is reportedly better than Bose in reducing the 'pressure' effect.

As for other NC headphones, I don't know enough to answer your question.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Is it possible to use the noise canceling device in new headphones if the bluetooth is turned off?
In what model headphone?

Does the manual not say?

Bluetooth is rarely involved in NC. I'm not even sure how it could be, barring poor design.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CPRich
Bluetooth is rarely involved in NC. I'm not even sure how it could be, barring poor design.
I'm looking at you, Sony. I would like to my WH-1000MX2 to not turn off after 5 minutes of not being connected to bluetooth.

Pointless extra battery drain on both my phone and the headset just to keep it connected.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Explorer789
I'm looking at you, Sony. I would like to my WH-1000MX2 to not turn off after 5 minutes of not being connected to bluetooth.

Pointless extra battery drain on both my phone and the headset just to keep it connected.
I have the same headset. You can keep the NC turned on if you plug in the wired cable to your phone, even if the phone is turned off.
But I do not argue that it is poor design in this aspect compared to Bose.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by Explorer789

Could it also be a feature as to not drain your battery if the headset is accidentally left on?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EmptyKim
Could it also be a feature as to not drain your battery if the headset is accidentally left on?
It's nearly impossible to accidentally turn on this headset since it is a tiny flat button that requires a 3 second hard press. I would argue that the Bose headsets are way easier to accidentally turn on since they have an easy slider switch, yet Bose does not force auto turn off. It's just poor design and not offering the user the ability to choose if they want it on.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
The Bose QC35ii has an optional timeout feature. That's the right way to manage this, IMO -- let the owner decide.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by EmptyKim
Probably. But I disagree with the feature. At least let us alter the setting through their app.

Originally Posted by ajGoes
The Bose QC35ii has an optional timeout feature. That's the right way to manage this, IMO -- let the owner decide.
Agreed. The Sony 1000XM series already supports massive customization through the app.
It makes zero sense to me why they would keep this aspect of the design.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.