Best home wifi router?

Old Nov 2, 18, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Best home wifi router?

My trusty old Linksys router is getting more and more flaky. I can reboot it and it comes back to life, but enough is enough. It seems to drop the signal for a few seconds with increasing frequency. Time to replace.

My needs aren't great - it's in active use by no more than 2-3 phones/pcs at a time, (although more may be technically in wifi mode, but not actually in use) my nest runs through it, apple TV which I use to stream videos through the router from my iphone. I use it occasionally to stream sound to my wireless rear speakers. I don't have any devices actually wired to it except the input from the DSL modem, so I don't need a ton of connection ports.

This is a single floor apartment, so no need to transmit long distances, but some devices are on the other side of walls. I'm limited to where I can place it due to the location of the DSL modem.

All the recommendations I'm finding online point me to like $300 or more devices. That seems overkill for my situation.

Recommendations?
Old Nov 2, 18, 10:43 am

You can get a google wifi pod for $70-80 ish. People buy the 3 or 4 packs and have left overs. Sounds like it will do everything you need it to do and you can add on other pods if you need later on.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/google-wifi-review/

Last edited by vletnguyen; Nov 2, 18 at 10:49 am
Old Nov 2, 18, 11:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by milepig View Post
Recommendations?
Get a used apple airport extreme year 2009-2011. You can have them around $15-$30 used. It should fit your need just fine. You can add airport express to extend your wifi if you need it.
Old Nov 2, 18, 11:39 am

I've really been liking TP-Link equipment. I think I have this:

Amazon Amazon

I would get something pretty new for streaming video. The latest Wifi standards have less latency and greater speed.
Old Nov 2, 18, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. The TP-Link looks good at a decent price. I'd also heard good things about the google wifi, but also that they were no longer available. I hadn't thought about the used market.
Old Nov 2, 18, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'm happy with my Linksys Max-Stream EA7500 I bought a year ago for $130. But I needed something to reach from the main floor office to the top floor far corner bedroom, through floor/walls, which it does. Even that may be overkill. No need for $300.
Old Nov 2, 18, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
I'm happy with my Linksys Max-Stream EA7500 I bought a year ago for $130. But I needed something to reach from the main floor office to the top floor far corner bedroom, through floor/walls, which it does. Even that may be overkill. No need for $300.
This one is highly rated and is sort of mid-priced

Amazon Amazon
Old Nov 2, 18, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
I've really been liking TP-Link equipment. I think I have this:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wirel.../dp/B002YLAUU8

I would get something pretty new for streaming video. The latest Wifi standards have less latency and greater speed.
From the specs, this one seems to be single 2.4 band. In my hood with crowded bandwidth 5.0 makes a huge difference.
Old Nov 2, 18, 4:38 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I wouldn't spend very much with WPA3 on the horizon.

I would second the used Apple AirPort suggestion, my girlfriend's 802.11ac AirPort Extreme (actually a Time Capsule) hasn't been unplugged in five years.
Old Nov 2, 18, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm
Take a look at wirecutter.com. They have great reviews. ( owned by NY times)

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/
Old Nov 3, 18, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm. I have an Apple Airport Extreme, dual band, just sitting around. Had another one (not sure where I got it, but it was brand new). Sold it on eBay.

My Linksys is doing fine - I use it because I needed the gigabit ports to handle the 100 Mb stuff coming down the line when the cable company upgraded everything a couple months ago. I get an honest 100 Mb+ on the speed test, about 3-4 times faster than I got with the older 10/00 ports.

Anyhow - is the Apple considered a good router? I don't use any Apple stuff, probably a hangover from when they wanted to control everything you did. I think the 5 GHz band might come in useful, since I think I have a couple of computers with dual-band hardware.
Old Nov 3, 18, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have an IT bent or want to learn just a little, get a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X ($60) and Ubiquiti Unifi AP AC Lite ($80 or so) for a light-commercial-grade solution.

If you don't have an IT bent and/or aren't interested in learning, then really anything by Netgear or TP-Link that you can find at your local Best Buy/Target/Walmart will be fine.

edit: just got an alert that the ERX is on sale for $40 at Newegg. Won’t last long. https://slickdeals.net/f/12192481-ub...#post121222432
LordHamster and martin_paris like this.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Nov 3, 18 at 11:54 am
Old Nov 3, 18, 1:43 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by BigLar View Post
Anyhow - is the Apple considered a good router? I don't use any Apple stuff, probably a hangover from when they wanted to control everything you did. I think the 5 GHz band might come in useful, since I think I have a couple of computers with dual-band hardware.
They're certainly good from a stability and performance perspective, but there isn't a whole lot you can configure.

I personally use pfSense with UniFi access points.
LordHamster likes this.
Old Nov 3, 18, 4:24 pm

I'm a pretty big Apple fan, but their networking equipment is really dated at this point.
Old Nov 3, 18, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Error 601 View Post
I wouldn't spend very much with WPA3 on the horizon.
Even if WPA3 comes out in routers next year, it'll likely take at least another year or two before OP ends up with devices that can use it. Spending a bit more on a decent router wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
I'm a pretty big Apple fan, but their networking equipment is really dated at this point.
Apple also officially discontinued the AirPort lineup earlier this year, IIRC.

Anyway, I remember the AirPort Extreme working fairly well for me. IPv6 was a bit iffy though, which is why I ultimately switched to something else (though for many people IPv6 is still not really an important feature).

Search this Thread