Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Use Googleís Allo app on iOS?

Old Nov 1, 18, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

I recently had a friend recommend that I use Allo if I want to text while in-flight. Iím not sure that Iíll use it much, regardless. What are the pros and cons of using this app on iOS?
Old Nov 2, 18, 7:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, National Executive
Why wouldn't you just use iMessage? The toughest part of using the Allo app is finding anyone else who uses it... Try one of Google's five other instant messaging solutions that they kill off and reinvent over and over
ne52 and gfunkdave like this.
Old Nov 3, 18, 7:15 am
Original Poster

iMessage is no longer in existence either. It’s now called Messages.

The reason that I’m asking about Allo is that a flight attendant friend recommended it. She claims that it works on TATL & TPAC flights without having to purchase wi-fi. It’s well known that Messages is not going to work on widebodies on overseas flights unless you purchase wi-fi. And, even then, wi-fi reliability can be spotty. I’m not sure that I really want to do much, if any, texting mid-flight, but I am the curious type and wanted more info about Allo usage during flights.
Old Nov 4, 18, 6:10 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
The reason that Iím asking about Allo is that a flight attendant friend recommended it. She claims that it works on TATL & TPAC flights without having to purchase wi-fi. Itís well known that Messages is not going to work on widebodies on overseas flights unless you purchase wi-fi. And, even then, wi-fi reliability can be spotty. Iím not sure that I really want to do much, if any, texting mid-flight, but I am the curious type and wanted more info about Allo usage during flights.
Hmmm.... I'm not convinced
Old Nov 4, 18, 6:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by msp3 View Post
Why wouldn't you just use iMessage?
That assumes that everybody the OP wants to message has a iOS/MacOs device...

WhatsApp seems to have the market covered. Everybody I know uses it - whether they are iOS/Android/Windows or whatever.
lhrsfo likes this.
Old Nov 4, 18, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Hmmm.... I'm not convinced
Well, I was surprised last week on a US domestic flight when I started receiving text messages at >30,000 ft and was able to carry on a text conversation. My iPhone was in airplane mode and I didnít buy wi-fi access. That was the first time that happened for me. However, as Iíve mentioned, I really donít want to do this on a regular basis. I prefer my ďaloneĒ time.

Iím only curious about Allo, donít plan on using it and, btw, I donít use WhatsApp, either.
Old Nov 11, 18, 3:36 pm

google allo is not a good app xD that application never worked well

Search this Thread