Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

It's official... Apple outgrew me. New iPad Pro discussion.

It's official... Apple outgrew me. New iPad Pro discussion.

Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
>tfw the new iPad Pro, MacBook Air, Mac mini, and even the Apple Pencil have gone up a few hundred dollars each in MSRP

And Apple's making a cheap new MacBook they said... The lack of forward/backward compatibility of the Apple Pencil is especially outrageous
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
They said the same about RJ11. They said the same about RJ45. Same was said about serial ports. SCSI ports. VGA connectors. Removable batteries. Disc drives. Zip drives. Do you miss any of that? We all seem to be getting along just fine without these once standard thing. iPhones were slammed for not having a stylus or a keypad. Evolution happens.
And Apple is also forced to bring back stylus & keypad for their iPad pro.

I am also in the camp of those who are disappointed with where the MBP going. I have 2011 MBP which still pretty fast for my usage after I upgrade to 16mb RAM & SSD. It has all the connection I need. I hate the new one. It's called Macbook Pro for a reason. If I want a thin & light laptop, I'll buy Macbook Air instead.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by 9Benua
And Apple is also forced to bring back stylus & keypad for their iPad pro.

I am also in the camp of those who are disappointed with where the MBP going. I have 2011 MBP which still pretty fast for my usage after I upgrade to 16mb RAM & SSD. It has all the connection I need. I hate the new one. It's called Macbook Pro for a reason. If I want a thin & light laptop, I'll buy Macbook Air instead.
I have a 2011 MBP as well and replaced the 320GB HDD by a 500GB SSD, which is an awesome boost in performance.
I still use it as the performance is still good, but cannot upgrade to macOS 14 Mojave.
The battery is still rather good after almost eight years.

Sometimes I consider upgrading to the MBP 2018 (16GB RAM, 500GB disk) for $2500, but I have to spend another $100 to buy adapter(s) to connect my USB-A, Ethernet and SD cards. And Magsafe is missing as well. And later upgrades in memory and disk are not possible anymore.

But yet I'd rather buy a new MBP rather than an iPad Pro which runs the same walled garden called Incomplete Operating System as a consumer grade $300 iPad, or any other tablet.
An iPad 'Pro' is still unable to fit my computing needs such as run virtual machines (e.g. Windows 10), run a web server for web design, copying files via USB to an external storage device (despite having a USB-C port), which is much faster than wirelessly. It is just a media consuming device and does not deserve the 'Pro' postfix.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.