Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

It's official... Apple outgrew me. New iPad Pro discussion.

It's official... Apple outgrew me. New iPad Pro discussion.

Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
It's not just Apple ditching the headphone jack. I think the new Pixel phones from Google do as well.

Sales of wireless headphones are growing much faster than the wired ones.

Development of wired headphones will slow down or stop if it hasn't already.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I just can't see how the 3,5mm audio jack is "obsolete" - especially that the "solution" Apple offers is a 3,5mm audio jack dongle... and in the process making it impossible to charge and listen to the device.
I was reading through the thread to see if someone would point out this simple regression in functionality viz. simultaneous charge and listen on wired headphones (often with active noise cancellation). Sure, one can buy the Belkin device for 30 bucks to restore this functionality but how is that progress?

Thanks, WilcoRoger!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by wco81
It's not just Apple ditching the headphone jack. I think the new Pixel phones from Google do as well.
Not just the newest Pixel phones. My Pixel 2XL, which is no longer the newest model, doesn't have one. I have yet to use the dongle—but this thread will remind me to put it in my backpack before next week's trip, just in case.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
I ask you, what gadget/connector do you currently miss that was on your computer/phone/tablet from 20/10/5 years ago (other than the aforementioned mini stereo jack)? Is it the RJ11? The SCSI? The serial port? The VGA? The serial port?
I know you didn't ask me specifically, but I miss SVGA, PS/2 keyboard, composite video and PCMCIA slots. Why can't my iPad have those? /Sarcasm

If you don't like the latest and greatest tech, don't buy it! It really is that simple...
Uncle Nonny likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
Originally Posted by wco81

Sales of wireless headphones are growing much faster than the wired ones.

Development of wired headphones will slow down or stop if it hasn't already.
Yes, lots of phones are ditching the headphone jack. Plenty of companies (particularly Google) like to copy Apple, so we get features that consumers initial balk at such as a loss of headphone jacks add a notch into the screen, etc... Apple is fortunate to have a very loyal and higher income following that they can get away with big changes that other companies can't and they can lead the market to the change.

I agree that growth of sales in the headphone all in the wireless, and will continue to do so. That said last year, wired headphones still outsold wireless ones (although 2017 may be the last year of that lead), so there are still plenty of people without wireless headphones and more people who continue to buy wired ones, that make this an annoyance for many people (for now). I read that they expect it to take about another 5 years before more people own wireless than wired headphones, although Apple's customers surely will be ahead of the curve on that. So for now, and for at least the next few years, many people are stuck with an adapter to do the same thing they did before. And what is unfortunately slightly worse at the moment, is some multi device people (like myself)need a different adapter to use your iphone versus your android phone, and no adapter at all for other things. But years from now, that won't be an issue.

Additionally, I'm hopefully that it seems Apple is seeing the light around their proprietary connectors, and if we can all get everyone on the same thing (USB-C) and there will be one standard (or adapter) to work towards.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I really wish my iPhone X had a SCART connector.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
My understanding (which may be off) is ditching the headphone jack allows for increased water protection. As someone who once dropped his phone in a puddle (and had moments of panic until I confirmed it wasn't damaged) I am willing to make that trade. I bought an adapter for my old QC-25s but have since replaced those with the new Sony NC headphones (forget the number -- the one with the USB-C charging port)

There are a lot of accessaries that use the headphone jack, e.g. credit card readers like Square and a friend has a blood glucose tester -- but I assume lightning/usb-c version of those are in the works.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
My understanding (which may be off) is ditching the headphone jack allows for increased water protection. As someone who once dropped his phone in a puddle (and had moments of panic until I confirmed it wasn't damaged) I am willing to make that trade. I bought an adapter for my old QC-25s but have since replaced those with the new Sony NC headphones (forget the number -- the one with the USB-C charging port)

There are a lot of accessaries that use the headphone jack, e.g. credit card readers like Square and a friend has a blood glucose tester -- but I assume lightning/usb-c version of those are in the works.
Samsung phones were able to keep the jack while having a high water resistance reading. I'm not sure that's really a good excuse for Apple.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:35 pm

Gentlemen (Ladies):

I am very glad I stumbled on to this conversation, however I know nothing of what you are speaking about, so please don't laugh when I ask for your help.I am looking for information regarding two "simple" things:

1. Just got my beautiful international carry on suitcase and it has a place for a "battery"? What does that mean and what would you suggest? I only travel with my computer (Apple Air)
2. I want very much to buy DH a wonderful headset. One with noise canceling as the primary function for travel, but also one he can connect to his computer or Shuffle (I asked you not to laugh)
Like the gentlemen who started this who was complaining about Apple, my DH uses his iPad and his MacBook laptop to make his presentations. What is your favorite headset for these uses?

Thank you,
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by alpenrose
Gentlemen (Ladies):

I am very glad I stumbled on to this conversation, however I know nothing of what you are speaking about, so please don't laugh when I ask for your help.I am looking for information regarding two "simple" things:

1. Just got my beautiful international carry on suitcase and it has a place for a "battery"? What does that mean and what would you suggest? I only travel with my computer (Apple Air)
2. I want very much to buy DH a wonderful headset. One with noise canceling as the primary function for travel, but also one he can connect to his computer or Shuffle (I asked you not to laugh)
Like the gentlemen who started this who was complaining about Apple, my DH uses his iPad and his MacBook laptop to make his presentations. What is your favorite headset for these uses?

Thank you,
I can't decide if this is a serious thread or not, but I'll bite:

1. It means you can put a battery in there. Apple laptops don't have removable batteries so you can put something else in there.
2. How about Bose QC20?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:22 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Moderator note:

Let's keep this thread on track with the titled subject, which is the "iPad Pro", and the new headphone connections for that (and closely related) device.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:30 pm

Thank you.

No. My question is not a joke. I need to understand what kind of battery we can take with us on board in order to charge our cell phones, or computers, or iPad?

Thank you,
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:32 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alpenrose
Thank you.

No. My question is not a joke. I need to understand what kind of battery we can take with us on board in order to charge our cell phones, or computers, or iPad?

Thank you,
Courtesy of Google:

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiative...info/?hazmat=7

https://techzillo.com/power-banks-airplane/

Are Power Banks Allowed on Planes? Everything You Need to Know About Flying with a Portable Charger - RAVPower

Generically speaking, the boilerplate FAA rules would allow you a 20,000mAh device (outputting at 5 volts). Research individual airlines, as some have different policies versus what the FAA guidelines state. Further, with advance "clearance" (whatever that means), certain carriers may allow devices generating up to 160 watts. Some U.S. carriers allow two carry-ons of that size. 160 watts is the relative equivalent of 32,000mAH at 5 volts. For example: AA Lithium battery policy statement Delta battery info United Lithium battery statement

Check with the airline you are contemplating, and recognize gate agents and flight attendants may not be fully engaged in the rules. A carrier's website might say one thing, but an employee on the front line might have other perceptions on what is acceptable. YMMV

Last edited by Moderator2; Oct 29, 2018 at 9:04 pm
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:04 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
The only thing Apple achieved with killing the 3,5mm jack was to put the DAC chip from the phone to the dongle. Obviously it makes good business sense, as you can sell a $1 gadget for $9 whereas earlier the chip was part of the package. I don't see how that's "easier and less complicated"
1) it made the phone thinner.
2) use a BT headset.

anyways, the newer ones would probably support wireless charging. so the problem would only be for people with noise cancellation,
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by kaka
1) it made the phone thinner.
2) use a BT headset.

anyways, the newer ones would probably support wireless charging. so the problem would only be for people with noise cancellation,
I see the B & W headphones and think they would be nice for him, but If I buy him noise canceling headphones will he need an application to be installed in his computer? He does have an old Apple cell phone will that work?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.