FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Headset adapter (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1934039-headset-adapter.html)

Blackfox Oct 5, 2018 5:09 am

Headset adapter

A silly question probably,
I'm looking for an adapter so I can plug the nice business class airline headsets (the thingy with two jacks) to my laptop when flying.
On Amazon, every adapter I find is doing the reverse, connecting your own headset to the in-flight entertainment system.
Any pointer?
Thanks

Stewie Mac Oct 5, 2018 9:29 am

The reason that those nice headsets have two jacks is to make them less attractive to steal because they only work properly on the plane..

One of the jacks is the 'usual' stereo jack, which you can plug into your laptop. etc. The other jack gives power to the noise-cancelling system in the headset - so if you do plug one jack into your laptop, you won't get the noise cancelling effect. Which the airline hopes makes you much less likely to take them with you...

yyznomad Oct 5, 2018 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac (Post 30282298)
The reason that those nice headsets have two jacks is to make them less attractive to steal because they only work properly on the plane..

One of the jacks is the 'usual' stereo jack, which you can plug into your laptop. etc. The other jack gives power to the noise-cancelling system in the headset - so if you do plug one jack into your laptop, you won't get the noise cancelling effect. Which the airline hopes makes you much less likely to take them with you...

Yep, and some airlines use three pronged versions for NCs.

gobluetwo Oct 5, 2018 3:25 pm

And some have the two prongs that are different sizes.

docbert Oct 5, 2018 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo (Post 30283484)
And some have the two prongs that are different sizes.

All of the NC ones should have different sized plugs, whether it's 2 or 3.

If they have 2, one is stereo audio, and the other (generally a smaller plug) is power.

If they have 3, two are mono audio, and the third (again, generally smaller) is power.

The non-NC ones will sometimes have two plugs the same size, in which case it's the same as the 3-plug version above, but without power.

Blackfox Oct 5, 2018 8:22 pm

I'm not sure to understand. When I plug one of the two plugs to my laptop, I get audio but only on one side. Is there not some kind of adapter that have 2 female merging into one male so I can plug it to my computer and have stereo? At least that my last experience on SWISS from US to Zurich, I don't remember for the other airlines since I usually have my own headset.

Blackfox Oct 12, 2018 11:36 pm

Actually I do understand now, my last experience with SWISS was likely that last version Dogbert mentioned. So where can I find an adapter for that kind?

Boogie711 Oct 14, 2018 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Blackfox (Post 30309994)
Actually I do understand now, my last experience with SWISS was likely that last version Dogbert mentioned. So where can I find an adapter for that kind?

I think what we're telling you is - you can't.

Get another set of headphones that you actually like. Chances are good they're going to be far higher quality than anything you can get on a plane, and you can use them on both the plane and your laptop.

gengar Oct 17, 2018 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Blackfox (Post 30309994)

I believe OP is looking for a 3.5mm stereo male to dual 3.5mm mono female breakout cable, e.g.
For future reference, any male or female connector can be "reversed" using a male-to-male adapter or female-to-female adapter (often referred to as "barrel connector"), e.g.,

Blackfox Oct 18, 2018 6:01 am

Thank you so much gengar, I think you nailed it!
I tried again and again on Amazon but couldn't find how it was called :)
While the stupid earplugs usually have a retractable second plug leaving the first one with stereo, the big headsets in SWISS have two monos.
I do not care that much about NC so that was not the issue, but having to carry my own headset takes a lot of space in my bag as I always try to avoid registering any bag.