Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Sprint update to Volte and discontinue wifi calling?

Old Oct 3, 18, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat

I got a text from Sprint that the latest update will discontinue the ability to use wifi calling (called calling plus) and data at the same time.

"Our records indicate your account is using Calling PLUS, a service that provides simultaneous voice and data (LTE Calling Beta) and the ability to place voice calls over Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi Calling). Due to recent network upgrades, Calling PLUS will be decommissioned. This will happen soon via a system update sent to your device.

Here are your options for the system update:
  • Accept the System Update this will permanently remove Calling PLUS from your device. Simultaneous voice and data will only be available when connected to Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi Calling service will continue to allow your device to make and receive calls over an available Wi-Fi connection. If accepted, you will not be able to go back to the previous version of device software.
  • Postpone the System Update Calling PLUS service will remain active. Calling PLUS users may want to choose this option.
I'm confused - does this mean I'll still be able to wifi calling (now NOT called calling plus?) when overseas like I do now and the update will just not allow me to use "calling plus" in the US?
I'm asking here b/c sprint service is hopeless (yesterday they tried to tell me I had to reset my phone to use video calling - while on hold for 30 minutes I finally found that they had DISABLED the ability to use it! )
Old Oct 4, 18, 7:23 pm
jg3

Programs: HHonors, Marriott, SPG == Gold.
Wifi calling will still work after the update, calling plus will go away. You should still be able to use wifi calling both at home and abroad. The sprint subreddit has a bunch of threads on VoLTE, and the mess that Sprint has turned it into.
Old Oct 4, 18, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jg3 View Post
Wifi calling will still work after the update, calling plus will go away. You should still be able to use wifi calling both at home and abroad. The sprint subreddit has a bunch of threads on VoLTE, and the mess that Sprint has turned it into.
So "calling plus" icon- which AFAIK was just another name for wifi calling will be replaced by a wifi calling icon (like tmo, etc) and if I use it I will have voice and data simultaneously both in the US and overseas roaming?
Old Oct 5, 18, 11:25 pm
jg3

Programs: HHonors, Marriott, SPG == Gold.
Calling plus is not wifi calling, it was sprint's half hearted attempt at implementing VoLTE with no QOS. Think of calling plus as VOIP over LTE, with no QOS.
Assuming you are in a soft roll out area, sprint will enable VoLTE on your Android and yes, you will be able to use both voice(which is now just data) and data at the same time. Depending on where you are/were over seas, you probably were on LTE which is a GSM technology, so by design it was all data rather than separate voice and data.
Old Oct 6, 18, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jg3 View Post
Calling plus is not wifi calling, it was sprint's half hearted attempt at implementing VoLTE with no QOS. Think of calling plus as VOIP over LTE, with no QOS.
Assuming you are in a soft roll out area, sprint will enable VoLTE on your Android and yes, you will be able to use both voice(which is now just data) and data at the same time. Depending on where you are/were over seas, you probably were on LTE which is a GSM technology, so by design it was all data rather than separate voice and data.
The reason I'm so confused is that when I was in Thailand I used "calling plus" only over wifi just like I used wifi calling when I was on tmo. I never used it other than with wifi. In the US I used it sometimes when I had a poor signal (2 bars) at my home - b/c I thought it was using wifi instead of the cell towers (so I guess that wasn't right) - anyway I want to be able to use wifi calling and at the same time be able to use other apps (eg look at my calendar, browser).
From the answers I guess I will be able to do this both in the US (yes I'm in a rollout area) and while overseas (I only use it in airplane mode only with wifi to avoid unexpected charges)

Search this Thread