FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Turn off roaming on iPhone XS? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1932998-turn-off-roaming-iphone-xs.html)

gfunkdave Sep 28, 2018 4:05 pm

Turn off roaming on iPhone XS?

i don’t have the option on my new phone to turn off all roaming, which I did have on my old iPhone 6s. The new option just says “Data Roaming”.

We we drove into Canada today and my phone connected to Telus. I got a text from Verizon welcoming me to Canada. There was no data symbol (“LTE”/“3G”/etc) so the data roaming setting seems to work. But I didn’t want to roam (and get charged for the day pass) at all.

How do do I keep the phone from roaming short of putting in airplane mode?

EmptyKim Sep 28, 2018 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 30258289)
i don’t have the option on my new phone to turn off all roaming, which I did have on my old iPhone 6s. The new option just says “Data Roaming”.

We we drove into Canada today and my phone connected to Telus. I got a text from Verizon welcoming me to Canada. There was no data symbol (“LTE”/“3G”/etc) so the data roaming setting seems to work. But I didn’t want to roam (and get charged for the day pass) at all.

How do do I keep the phone from roaming short of putting in airplane mode?

I think its just buried. "cellular data options" shows "roaming" options. In there you can toggle "voice roaming" and "data roaming"

gfunkdave Sep 29, 2018 7:27 am

No, it just has an option for Data Roaming. https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ddce6ae82.jpeg

Cat Man Do Sep 29, 2018 7:49 pm

Which Verizon plan do you have?

"On Go Unlimited, Beyond Unlimited and Above Unlimited, your talk, text and data* while in Mexico and Canada is included in your plan. Learn more about Unlimited."

Perhaps Verizon does not believe you're roaming at all.

gfunkdave Sep 30, 2018 1:13 pm

It's an 8GB shared plan.

scubadu Sep 30, 2018 3:23 pm

Just for clarity, given the thread title, is this an "iPhone XS" thing? Or an iOS 12 thing?

Regards

Cat Man Do Oct 1, 2018 11:53 am

Just checked mine - same here.
M

LordHamster Oct 1, 2018 5:12 pm

If you don't want to do voice or data roaming, why not just switch on airplane mode?

gfunkdave Oct 1, 2018 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by LordHamster (Post 30268162)
If you don't want to do voice or data roaming, why not just switch on airplane mode?

Because I was in Lubec, Maine, and wanted to use my phone while not having it latch onto the Canadian signal from across the strait.

I also didn’t want it to roam if I forgot to turn it into airplane mode when we drove into Canada.

LordHamster Oct 1, 2018 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 30268629)

Because I was in Lubec, Maine, and wanted to use my phone while not having it latch onto the Canadian signal from across the strait.

I also didn’t want it to roam if I forgot to turn it into airplane mode when we drove into Canada.

‘makes sense. Glad I am on Project Fi

gfunkdave Oct 2, 2018 7:34 am

Originally Posted by LordHamster (Post 30268648)

‘makes sense. Glad I am on Project Fi

The thought had occurred to me (or Spectrum mobile since we have Spectrum internet). But we get a 20% discount with Verizon from Mr Gfunk's work (mine only gets us 19% I think :D) so it makes Verizon not too spendy.

They just charge $5/day if I go to Canada or Mexico.

scubadu Oct 2, 2018 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 30264340)
Just for clarity, given the thread title, is this an "iPhone XS" thing? Or an iOS 12 thing?

Regards

I'll repeat the question, as others might want to know as well. The thread title chosen implies this is specific to iPhone XS. Can anyone confirm if this is specific to iPhone XS, or if in fact this is related to iOS 12 and thus would be seen on any iDevice upgrading to iOS 12?

Regards

gfunkdave Oct 2, 2018 6:53 pm

It appears to be just the iPhone XS. I just looked at Mr. Gfunk's iPhone X running iOS 12, and it had the voice and data roaming toggles, as well as the "International CDMA" toggle.

We are both on Verizon.

scubadu Oct 2, 2018 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 30272249)
It appears to be just the iPhone XS. I just looked at Mr. Gfunk's iPhone X running iOS 12, and it had the voice and data roaming toggles, as well as the "International CDMA" toggle.

We are both on Verizon.

Interesting. Thank you for clarifying.

Well, I never buy the new phone on day 1 and I never install the new iOS right when it comes out. I like to watch you "beta testers" for awhile before going in the water.

Good luck.

Regards

LtKernelPanic Oct 2, 2018 9:11 pm

Not sure if you've seen this Verizon KB article or not.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-206955/