Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Using WhatsApp for making/receiving voice calls — cost?

Using WhatsApp for making/receiving voice calls — cost?

Old Sep 24, 18, 2:19 pm
  #1  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 55,056
Using WhatsApp for making/receiving voice calls — cost?

I have never used WhatsApp for anything other than texting.

Whether I'm in the US or overseas, if I want to call someone on their mobile number, is it free like it is using FaceTime between iPhones?

Is it possible to call or receive a call from a landline whether US or German at no cost?

Thanks.
Analise is offline  
Old Sep 24, 18, 2:24 pm
  #2  
Ambassador: Emirates
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 7,670
It's a VoIP call using data or WiFi between two users who both have to have Whatsapp (which I think is also how FaceTime works)
GUWonder likes this.
skywardhunter is offline  
Old Sep 24, 18, 4:47 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,904
In order to use Whatsapp, both parties have to install Whatsapp on their phones. So it is not exactly the same as Facetime as Facetime is pre-installed on all iPhones. Neither Facetime or Whatsapp could call landline. I don't think there is any app that could call landline in another country for free. Google Hangout Dialer could call any number in the world for a fee that is very competitive but not free. Skype has a paid plan for calling too, rates are not bad.. and I think they have unlimited plan to some countries. Also if you are a subscriber to Microsoft Office 360, I think they give you a pool of Skype minutes every month.
GUWonder likes this.
Need is offline  
Old Sep 24, 18, 5:02 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 5,119
Originally Posted by Need View Post
In order to use Whatsapp, both parties have to install Whatsapp on their phones. So it is not exactly the same as Facetime as Facetime is pre-installed on all iPhones. Neither Facetime or Whatsapp could call landline. I don't think there is any app that could call landline in another country for free. Google Hangout Dialer could call any number in the world for a fee that is very competitive but not free. Skype has a paid plan for calling too, rates are not bad.. and I think they have unlimited plan to some countries. Also if you are a subscriber to Microsoft Office 360, I think they give you a pool of Skype minutes every month.
I have a Vonage (VOIP) landline in a vacation rental I own. Vonage allows me to designate 2 mobile numbers on which I can then use their app (Extensions) which allows me to call any number for free in 60 countries. The caller does not need to be a Vonage customer. It is, of course, dependant on the plan you have but I need to have a landline there anyway so this is just a bonus.
Finkface is offline  
Old Sep 24, 18, 5:25 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
I have a Vonage (VOIP) landline in a vacation rental I own. Vonage allows me to designate 2 mobile numbers on which I can then use their app (Extensions) which allows me to call any number for free in 60 countries. The caller does not need to be a Vonage customer. It is, of course, dependant on the plan you have but I need to have a landline there anyway so this is just a bonus.

Vonage is VOIP and is not restricted to a landline or fixed line or POTS. I have used Vonage in the past and the "free" is based on the package purchased. Vonage offers multiple packages with and without "free" calling to another country.
TGarza is offline  
Old Sep 24, 18, 5:37 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 5,119
Originally Posted by TGarza View Post
Vonage is VOIP and is not restricted to a landline or fixed line or POTS. I have used Vonage in the past and the "free" is based on the package purchased. Vonage offers multiple packages with and without "free" calling to another country.
Correct, pretty much what I said. I was responding to the poster who said there were no apps that allow you to call landlines in other countries for free. The point for this thread is that their Extensions app does allow you to call for free from your mobile to any landline and some mobiles in whatever countries are in your package. With the World package, that is pretty much anywhere in the world.
Finkface is offline  
Old Sep 25, 18, 3:43 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 55,056
Thank you everybody.
Analise is offline  
Old Sep 26, 18, 4:37 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
Correct, pretty much what I said. I was responding to the poster who said there were no apps that allow you to call landlines in other countries for free. The point for this thread is that their Extensions app does allow you to call for free from your mobile to any landline and some mobiles in whatever countries are in your package. With the World package, that is pretty much anywhere in the world.
Except for the monthly cost to use the app. The monthly cost is $27.99 + taxes & fees to use the Vonage app to call 60 countries.. The OP was asking about apps to make free calls. Skype or Google Voice would be a cheaper option without the 1 year commitment required by Vonage.
TGarza is offline  
Old Sep 27, 18, 7:19 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 5,119
Originally Posted by TGarza View Post
Except for the monthly cost to use the app. The monthly cost is $27.99 + taxes & fees to use the Vonage app to call 60 countries.. The OP was asking about apps to make free calls. Skype or Google Voice would be a cheaper option without the 1 year commitment required by Vonage.
No. You are completely incorrect. There is no cost to use the app whatsoever. I am not talking about the Vonage app. The app is called Extensions. It is a Vonage app provided to people who have Vonage accounts. You may link 2 mobile numbers to your Vonage account and you then use the Extensions app. Totally different thing. There is zero cost to use the Extensions app. The calls are free (subject to your Vonage plan).

Plus, there is no one year committment to Vonage. It is month to month. Do you actaully use Vonage? I am doubting you do as you are quite misinformed. I have Vonage accounts in two different countries.

Extensions App:
Link up to two mobile phone numbers to your Vonage service so you can make calls for the same rates as your Vonage home phone when you are on the go. Depending on your Vonage plan, calls to and from the Extensions® App are free to landline and mobile numbers* in 60+ countries.

If you have an iPhone or Android, download the Extensions® App to make and receive calls on the go.
If you do not have an iPhone or Android, link any mobile phone numberand make calls on the go.


The app you are talking about - big difference:
To use the Vonage Mobile App, a Vonage calling plan is not needed. Instead, purchase talk credits so you can make low cost international calls on up to five linked devices. You can additionally talk, text and exchange video chats worldwide for free with other Vonage Mobile users.

https://support.vonage.com/contactus

Vonage offers three apps that can be downloaded to your iPhone or Android phone: Vonage Extensions, Vonage Mobile and Vonage Business.

Last edited by Finkface; Sep 27, 18 at 7:31 pm
Finkface is offline  
Old Sep 28, 18, 7:27 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
It is month to month. Do you actaully use Vonage? I am doubting you do as you are quite misinformed. I have Vonage accounts in two different countries.
Actually I have used Vonage for several years. I am aware that Vonage is never as cheap as their advertised rates. I would not recommend Vonage to anyone as a low priced alternative. What's App is a better alternative to the hassle of Vonage.
TGarza is offline  
Old Sep 28, 18, 7:37 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 5,119
Originally Posted by TGarza View Post
Actually I have used Vonage for several years. I am aware that Vonage is never as cheap as their advertised rates. I would not recommend Vonage to anyone as a low priced alternative. What's App is a better alternative to the hassle of Vonage.
Except the OP was not asking for a low priced alternative. Her question was how to call, or receive calls from, landlines. So recommending something the doesn’t allow her to do that (whatsapp) is pointless. Which is why I suggested Vonage and their Extensions app.

Originally Posted by Analise View Post
I have never used WhatsApp for anything other than texting.

Whether I'm in the US or overseas, if I want to call someone on their mobile number, is it free like it is using FaceTime between iPhones?

Is it possible to call or receive a call from a landline whether US or German at no cost?

Thanks.
Finkface is offline  
Old Oct 3, 18, 2:30 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HaMerkaz/Exit 145
Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Posts: 13,031
Google Voice will allow you to call US landlines for free. No go for German. Office 365 gives you 60 free minutes/month to call with Skype.
joshwex90 is online now  
Old Oct 3, 18, 8:16 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London & Sonoma CA
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Posts: 8,003
Having played with Google Voice / Hangouts, Skype and Facetime, I find WhatsApp to be far and away the easiest to use, given its restrictions. It's free on mobile phones, works well even on 3G but excellently on 4G and Wifi and, much like so many Apple products, simply works. All the others require thinking about how you are going to do it, and whether there's a cost involved. So, if the OP can eliminate the landline from the equation, WhatsApp would be the way to go.
lhrsfo is offline  
Old Oct 3, 18, 8:33 am
  #14  
Ambassador: Emirates
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 7,670
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
much like so many Apple products, simply works.
That's funny, because it's a Facebook product
skywardhunter is offline  
Old Oct 3, 18, 11:23 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HaMerkaz/Exit 145
Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Posts: 13,031
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
Having played with Google Voice / Hangouts, Skype and Facetime, I find WhatsApp to be far and away the easiest to use, given its restrictions. It's free on mobile phones, works well even on 3G but excellently on 4G and Wifi and, much like so many Apple products, simply works. All the others require thinking about how you are going to do it, and whether there's a cost involved. So, if the OP can eliminate the landline from the equation, WhatsApp would be the way to go.
Ironic you also mention Facetime when comparing WhatsApp to an Apple product.

FaceTime works fine I've found but iMessage is the annoying one in changing when something is SMS or not and causing problems for people who have switched from iPhone to non-iPhone
joshwex90 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread