Wiki Posts
Search

The iOS 12 and watchOS 5 Official Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
The iOS 12 and watchOS 5 Official Thread

Updated earlier and am enjoying what really is a faster iPhone experience on my 2017 iPhone and Apple Watch. It keeps me from wondering where my 2018 models are.

So far, Siri improvements such as translation are the most impressive. ("Translate "Where is the bakery" into German. "Wo ist die Konditorei?" is spoken and displayed).

"Hey Siri" is no longer required on the watch.

What has everyone else found?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Meh, still trying to get WOS5 installed. Dies complaining about wifi connection every time, usually after a rather long period of downloading.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Shortcuts looks useful, but naming a custom shortcut should be part of creating it, not hidden under a 3-dot menu afterwards.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
Meh, still trying to get WOS5 installed. Dies complaining about wifi connection every time, usually after a rather long period of downloading.
I haven't yet updated, but I read that turning off Bluetooth on your phone can help. That forces the update to move over Wifi, which is more stable and faster.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
2 phones and 1 iPad updated - uneventful. We'll see if MissCP notices the purported speed improvements on her 4-year-old 6. I thought the normal iOS slowdown on older phones would mean it was time for upgrades for the kids, but she fears losing the headphone jack, and a faster (or at least not slower) phone may save me some $$.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: *G
was never interested in digital watch (esp as a mechanical watch junkie), but this one looks really interesting as a toy.

can someone confirm - that although it can work away from an iphone, it really needs an iphone as a sort of base (for configuration, tethering, etc)? i have apple laptops but have rid of my iphones....
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deniah
was never interested in digital watch (esp as a mechanical watch junkie), but this one looks really interesting as a toy.

can someone confirm - that although it can work away from an iphone, it really needs an iphone as a sort of base (for configuration, tethering, etc)? i have apple laptops but have rid of my iphones....
Yes - it really won't work without an iPhone. You configure apps, Wifi, install updates, etc, with an iPhone. It's basically designed to rely on an iPhone to the point where it's required.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I updated my watch last night. Took hours. I really can't imagine why this is so tough. And, frankly, there's not a lot of difference here in watchOS 5.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I noticed on the Apple forums that there are many threads about complications with AW OS5. Too many for me to remember as I wait for #4 on Friday.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will say, watchOS 5 is much faster on my Watch 3. The Activity info loads WAY faster.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Haven't played enough yet but really don't see absolutely any difference in WOS5, don't even see really any new faces. I am running an Apple Watch 2 so maybe the new faces are for the new bezel in the 4's? Only thing I notice is that my calories seem to be counting a lot higher. I am hobbling around on a broken foot right now and updated around the same time so not sure if it has to do with my stride right now counting or they did something with how it computes calories
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by DG206
Haven't played enough yet but really don't see absolutely any difference in WOS5, don't even see really any new faces. I am running an Apple Watch 2 so maybe the new faces are for the new bezel in the 4's? Only thing I notice is that my calories seem to be counting a lot higher. I am hobbling around on a broken foot right now and updated around the same time so not sure if it has to do with my stride right now counting or they did something with how it computes calories
I have an iW4C and have plenty of faces to review so yes screen size does matter for that feature.

In the meantime, many of us on the Apple forums are asking that an upcoming update gives us more options when it comes to utilizing "complications" as they call them.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:58 pm

How does one best campaign to get Twitter to bring back their AW app? The additional real estate with an AW 4 makes it essential that Twitter bring back an app that has been critical to my use of an AW.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xeno
How does one best campaign to get Twitter to bring back their AW app? The additional real estate with an AW 4 makes it essential that Twitter bring back an app that has been critical to my use of an AW.
I'm thinking, Tweet at them.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm thinking, Tweet at them.
I did that but to no avail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.