Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

The iOS 12 and watchOS 5 Official Thread

The iOS 12 and watchOS 5 Official Thread

Old Sep 17, 18, 6:48 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York and Vienna
Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Posts: 3,818
The iOS 12 and watchOS 5 Official Thread

Updated earlier and am enjoying what really is a faster iPhone experience on my 2017 iPhone and Apple Watch. It keeps me from wondering where my 2018 models are.

So far, Siri improvements such as translation are the most impressive. ("Translate "Where is the bakery" into German. "Wo ist die Konditorei?" is spoken and displayed).

"Hey Siri" is no longer required on the watch.

What has everyone else found?
jspira is offline  
Old Sep 17, 18, 10:40 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: PDX
Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Posts: 284
Meh, still trying to get WOS5 installed. Dies complaining about wifi connection every time, usually after a rather long period of downloading.
Cat Man Do is offline  
Old Sep 17, 18, 10:41 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: PDX
Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Posts: 284
Shortcuts looks useful, but naming a custom shortcut should be part of creating it, not hidden under a 3-dot menu afterwards.
Cat Man Do is offline  
Old Sep 17, 18, 11:02 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 7,599
Originally Posted by Cat Man Do View Post
Meh, still trying to get WOS5 installed. Dies complaining about wifi connection every time, usually after a rather long period of downloading.
I haven't yet updated, but I read that turning off Bluetooth on your phone can help. That forces the update to move over Wifi, which is more stable and faster.
josephstern is offline  
Old Sep 18, 18, 12:04 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 25,041
2 phones and 1 iPad updated - uneventful. We'll see if MissCP notices the purported speed improvements on her 4-year-old 6. I thought the normal iOS slowdown on older phones would mean it was time for upgrades for the kids, but she fears losing the headphone jack, and a faster (or at least not slower) phone may save me some $$.
CPRich is offline  
Old Sep 19, 18, 6:57 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: K+K
Programs: *G
Posts: 4,309
was never interested in digital watch (esp as a mechanical watch junkie), but this one looks really interesting as a toy.

can someone confirm - that although it can work away from an iphone, it really needs an iphone as a sort of base (for configuration, tethering, etc)? i have apple laptops but have rid of my iphones....
deniah is offline  
Old Sep 19, 18, 8:02 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 7,599
Originally Posted by deniah View Post
was never interested in digital watch (esp as a mechanical watch junkie), but this one looks really interesting as a toy.

can someone confirm - that although it can work away from an iphone, it really needs an iphone as a sort of base (for configuration, tethering, etc)? i have apple laptops but have rid of my iphones....
Yes - it really won't work without an iPhone. You configure apps, Wifi, install updates, etc, with an iPhone. It's basically designed to rely on an iPhone to the point where it's required.
josephstern is offline  
Old Sep 19, 18, 8:03 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 7,599
So I updated my watch last night. Took hours. I really can't imagine why this is so tough. And, frankly, there's not a lot of difference here in watchOS 5.
josephstern is offline  
Old Sep 19, 18, 10:05 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: OKC
Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, PL_Marriott, GHertz
Posts: 6,155
I noticed on the Apple forums that there are many threads about complications with AW OS5. Too many for me to remember as I wait for #4 on Friday.
Xeno is online now  
Old Sep 19, 18, 10:33 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 7,599
I will say, watchOS 5 is much faster on my Watch 3. The Activity info loads WAY faster.
josephstern is offline  
Old Sep 25, 18, 6:47 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Posts: 210
Haven't played enough yet but really don't see absolutely any difference in WOS5, don't even see really any new faces. I am running an Apple Watch 2 so maybe the new faces are for the new bezel in the 4's? Only thing I notice is that my calories seem to be counting a lot higher. I am hobbling around on a broken foot right now and updated around the same time so not sure if it has to do with my stride right now counting or they did something with how it computes calories
DG206 is offline  
Old Sep 25, 18, 7:30 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: OKC
Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, PL_Marriott, GHertz
Posts: 6,155
Originally Posted by DG206 View Post
Haven't played enough yet but really don't see absolutely any difference in WOS5, don't even see really any new faces. I am running an Apple Watch 2 so maybe the new faces are for the new bezel in the 4's? Only thing I notice is that my calories seem to be counting a lot higher. I am hobbling around on a broken foot right now and updated around the same time so not sure if it has to do with my stride right now counting or they did something with how it computes calories
I have an iW4C and have plenty of faces to review so yes screen size does matter for that feature.

In the meantime, many of us on the Apple forums are asking that an upcoming update gives us more options when it comes to utilizing "complications" as they call them.
Xeno is online now  
Old Sep 30, 18, 3:58 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: OKC
Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, PL_Marriott, GHertz
Posts: 6,155
How does one best campaign to get Twitter to bring back their AW app? The additional real estate with an AW 4 makes it essential that Twitter bring back an app that has been critical to my use of an AW.
Xeno is online now  
Old Sep 30, 18, 6:20 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 7,599
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
How does one best campaign to get Twitter to bring back their AW app? The additional real estate with an AW 4 makes it essential that Twitter bring back an app that has been critical to my use of an AW.
I'm thinking, Tweet at them.
josephstern is offline  
Old Oct 1, 18, 3:47 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: OKC
Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, PL_Marriott, GHertz
Posts: 6,155
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
I'm thinking, Tweet at them.
I did that but to no avail.
Xeno is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread