The 2018 iPhones (Xs/Xs Max/Xr) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2018 iPhones (Xs/Xs Max/Xr) thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38
Based on the specs of the new iphones this year, it seems the AT&T version will be compatible with any carrier. Can anyone confirm this? Asking since we plan to use the Citi AT&T credits finally.

According to the link below all the iPhones XS & XS Max will be the same for the US. Since you are buying for AT&T, the iphone will probably be locked to AT&T under the Apple retailer flexible locking policy. I have no issues submitting an unlock request through the AT&T website after the phone is paid in full. The Verizon model for post paid will not be locked even if financed because of a spectrum purchase restriction preventing Verizon from locking LTE phones. Verizon prepaid phones are locked.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-xs/specs/
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I'm waiting for an Apple event where they say, "We've made a mediocre iPhone."
I'm waiting for any marketing event by any company that announces a "not as good a the last one" product. Apple's far from alone.

I'm fine with my 8 for a couple of years.

The kids were scheduled for an upgrade, but if iOS12 really does slightly improve performance on the 6, or even just not degrade it, then they may stick with them for another generation. I'm glad they didn't retire OS support for another generation or two this cycle.

Last edited by CPRich; Dec 10, 2018 at 5:24 pm Reason: kant tipe
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I have no need for a cell phone larger than the iPhone 5 form factor.

I rushed to the Apple Store on Wednesday afternoon to buy a pair of spare iPhone SEs.

The guy who rung up the sale looked at me like I was insane.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Error 601
I have no need for a cell phone larger than the iPhone 5 form factor.

I rushed to the Apple Store on Wednesday afternoon to buy a pair of spare iPhone SEs.

The guy who rung up the sale looked at me like I was insane.
While I sympathize with the desire for the small form factor, it's worth advising consumers that the iPhone SE is severely behind in pure horsepower (CPU/RAM), camera quality, and cellular data support.

Maybe you don't use fancy apps and don't take pics, but the newer model iPhones support more LTE "bands" for better signal in rural or congested areas.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
It might just be because I'm hurdling into middle age on a rocket sled but my phone is still first and foremost a phone, my 16GB iPhone SE has 7GB free.

I have an iPad with data, a camera for every occasion and I usually have LTE turned off. The only place I usually turn LTE on is El Segundo because the 3G seems to have been refarmed down to near zilch around there.

I appreciate the features are occasionally useful, I'm not always going to want to reach for my iPad or camera but there is almost always a better alternative available to me for absolutely any task I might theoretically be able to undertake on my iPhone.

I work with an exceptional young woman who is only a year out of college and has her entire life on her iPhone 6S Plus but she has had an iPhone as her primary device since she was thirteen and used her personal MacBook for the first time since graduating to do her taxes.

I get it there are people who are just accustomed to working that way and find great utility in a tablet phone, but I am just too set in my ways.

Last edited by Error 601; Sep 16, 2018 at 4:12 am
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by TGarza
According to the link below all the iPhones XS & XS Max will be the same for the US. Since you are buying for AT&T, the iphone will probably be locked to AT&T under the Apple retailer flexible locking policy. I have no issues submitting an unlock request through the AT&T website after the phone is paid in full. The Verizon model for post paid will not be locked even if financed because of a spectrum purchase restriction preventing Verizon from locking LTE phones. Verizon prepaid phones are locked.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-xs/specs/
Thanks, that's what I was looking at, but I can't find the difference between A1920 and A1921, unless one of them is locked?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:32 pm

The XR looks great to me but since my 7+ is still working fine and gives me multiple days between recharges it's nearly impossible for me to justify spending another $850 on a phone. Unless Verizon makes some insane offer like they did when I got my 7+ (They offered $650 in trade in for my iPhone 6) I'll be dumping them for Total Wireless which will save me another $500 a year.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frudd38
Thanks, that's what I was looking at, but I can't find the difference between A1920 and A1921, unless one of them is locked?
1920 is the Xs, and 1921 is the Xs Max.

Whether an iPhone is locked to a certain carrier is determined by the profile it downloads when activated.
frudd38 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AA, DL, BA, HH
I still use a 7. I had the battery replaced this year for 30.00 at an Apple store. I made sure to get it done because it works perfectly and does what I need it to; it makes and takes calls with clarity, plays music and takes very good pictures. The new iPhones look nice, but not 1200 to 1500 nice. That's just my opinion though
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
The XR looks great to me but since my 7+ is still working fine and gives me multiple days between recharges it's nearly impossible for me to justify spending another $850 on a phone. Unless Verizon makes some insane offer like they did when I got my 7+ (They offered $650 in trade in for my iPhone 6) I'll be dumping them for Total Wireless which will save me another $500 a year.
Selling a used iPhone is pretty easy. I generally do it on eBay, and while I know eBay can be a disaster, it's generally fine. You'd likely recoup more than half of your XR outlay by selling your 7 Plus on eBay.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: *G
XR is the pick of that lot.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I'm a tech addict. The first step is admitting I've got a problem.

Pre-ordered two of the Xs Max in 256GB (Sim-Free) variety. One for me, and one for the wife.
One XS/256 for me. Someone will get my 7+ as a hand-me-down, or it will become the spare.

I was very, very happy to see that the SIM-Free model was available immediately. In the past, it's always been a month or two before it showed up.
LordHamster likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I have an 8 Plus.

I'll check out the larger phones at some point, once they're in the stores.

These have wider aspect ratios than my 8 Plus. I guess they're touting the movie or TV show watching because they have Dolby Vision HDR.

But I've never watched videos for extended sessions on a phone. I have an iPad for that on flights and on trips.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
The form factor of the Xs Max is pretty much the same as the iPhone+ models -- you get more screen because of the smaller bezels.

I'm still waiting for my Xs Max (obviously) but I got a case today and it pretty much is the same size as my Pixel 2 XL -- which is about the same size as a friends 7+

Updated: My phone is in LA so barring a screw up by UPS I should have it tomorrow. No meaningful work will get done as every time a truck drives down the street I'll think "Here it is!"

Ordered from T-Mobile so the thing I miss is whenw ordering from Apple is you can watch the phone (iPad/Laptop) as it progresses from China. Not hard to figure out which plane it is on.

Last edited by TheMadBrewer; Sep 20, 2018 at 8:30 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Got an email from Apple this morning that my phone has been shipped. Apple says it will arrive the 25th, while UPS says the 24th, but UPS also says just "Package ready for UPS" so perhaps it won't actually ship until tomorrow, and Apple's estimate is correct.

edit: It now says it's waiting for customs clearance. Squee!

Last edited by gfunkdave; Sep 20, 2018 at 1:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.