The 2018 iPhones (Xs/Xs Max/Xr) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2018 iPhones (Xs/Xs Max/Xr) thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
For the XS and XS Max, how good are its wifi and LTE reception compared to your prior iPhone?
I upgraded to the XS from the 8+ on Verizon and the LTE and WiFi speeds are noticeably slower than my 8+. I'm hoping there will be an iOS update or carrier settings update to resolve this as I am not the only one who has noticed this. It is also not a local issue either as I have seen the slow down both at home and in my travels.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:39 pm

My local Apple store have the phones in stock. Wanting XS Max 512. In gold. Is the upgrade plan they offer a good value? I can get deferred interest for 18 months on my Apple Barclay card. But Apple care would be extra. Upgrade included the AppleCare. Please, I need some advice. Going tomorrow.
ETA: not happy with payments, just want the best deal.

Last edited by CosmosHuman; Sep 28, 2018 at 6:03 pm
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
For whatever it is worth to you, I’ve been on the upgrade plan for a couple of years now, and am happy. Advantages as I see it are that I always have the latest model of iPhone, have a warranty against problems, and I don’t have to worry about hassles or worse trying to sell my old one. I doubt it is an economic advantage. If I ever decide to go to another brand, I’ll have to pay off the full value of my phone like anyone else, which fpgives me an incentive to stick with Apple and the program. I’m happy with the system, but I’m also a sucker who always got a new phone every year or close to it. If you aren’t such a sucker, you may not need it. Many people think that phone technology is plateauing now so that there will be less logical reason to be on the upgrade treadmill and get a new phone every year like the upgrade plan pushes you into. But as long as the payments aren’t a financial burden, I don’t think you’ll find it a swindle or tragedy if you go into it.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Mike B
For whatever it is worth to you, I’ve been on the upgrade plan for a couple of years now, and am happy. Advantages as I see it are that I always have the latest model of iPhone, have a warranty against problems, and I don’t have to worry about hassles or worse trying to sell my old one. I doubt it is an economic advantage. If I ever decide to go to another brand, I’ll have to pay off the full value of my phone like anyone else, which fpgives me an incentive to stick with Apple and the program. I’m happy with the system, but I’m also a sucker who always got a new phone every year or close to it. If you aren’t such a sucker, you may not need it. Many people think that phone technology is plateauing now so that there will be less logical reason to be on the upgrade treadmill and get a new phone every year like the upgrade plan pushes you into. But as long as the payments aren’t a financial burden, I don’t think you’ll find it a swindle or tragedy if you go into it.
My current iPhone 6 is getting old. Just had a new battery. Apple will give me $70. I don’t want the hassle of selling it on my own. I actually love Apple products, have iPad, MacBook. I really don’t think I’ll ever go back to Android. I’ll check them out tomorrow. You made some good points. Thank you.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by DG206
To confirm earlier TMo was doing the deal on trade in's for installment plans only, so for my SE wasn't really worth it, rather buy outright and keep my credit card insurance protections and forgo Apple Care
I wonder how your credit card protection would work if you pay all but $24 outright. With T-Mobile's installment plan, you actually only have to put $24 on EIP ($1/mo); you can pay the rest up-front, and the receipt will show that.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So if there’s ever a chance that border agents want to get into your iPhone when you’re returning to the US, FaceID may make it much easier for them to get your iPhone unlocked.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ne/?comments=1

It’s uncertain if 4th amendment protections would be respected by border agents.

Just in case, it might be good to know how to quickly disable FaceID after deplaning.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I wonder how your credit card protection would work if you pay all but $24 outright. With T-Mobile's installment plan, you actually only have to put $24 on EIP ($1/mo); you can pay the rest up-front, and the receipt will show that.
I was debating that but with Chase I get the 120 day return protection so figured rather buy outright
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wco81
So if there’s ever a chance that border agents want to get into your iPhone when you’re returning to the US, FaceID may make it much easier for them to get your iPhone unlocked.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ne/?comments=1

It’s uncertain if 4th amendment protections would be respected by border agents.

Just in case, it might be good to know how to quickly disable FaceID after deplaning.
If it's a concern, either turn the phone off or click the power button five times quickly before you go through customs. Either will disable FaceID and require your passcode.

You do have a long, complex alphanumeric passcode and not the easily breakable 4 digit one, don't you?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
If it's a concern, either turn the phone off or click the power button five times quickly before you go through customs. Either will disable FaceID and require your passcode.
Or hold the Power button and one of the Volume buttons together for couple of seconds - you'll get the haptic feedback and Face ID will be disabled (hold it longer and it'll engage the Emergency SOS if you've set it up). Very easy to just reach into your pocket and hold these two buttons, it's like grabbing it from the sides anyway - so takes a second when you think you may be in a situation where you don't want to hand over easy access to your phone.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CatJo
Or hold the Power button and one of the Volume buttons together for couple of seconds - you'll get the haptic feedback and Face ID will be disabled (hold it longer and it'll engage the Emergency SOS if you've set it up). Very easy to just reach into your pocket and hold these two buttons, it's like grabbing it from the sides anyway - so takes a second when you think you may be in a situation where you don't want to hand over easy access to your phone.
neat! I didn’t know about that one.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Same issues with the fingerprint sensors. I always power off my phones when we arrive at the gate. Will continue to do so with the Xs but it is nice to know those short cuts in case it is a different situation and the phone is powered on.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I upgraded on release day from an 8 to an Xs. For my first week I *hated* this damn phone. I've slowly gotten used to it.

Also, I realized a good chunk of my dislike is simply that the current generation of Apple leather cases are *garbage* compared to previous years. The brown leather case on my 8 is a beautiful deep mahogany with just the right amount of grip. The "saddle brown" of this year looks like a big slap of baby poop, adds way too much thickness and has almost no grip. I'll stick with it for now but just until the third-party case manufacturers catch up.

Still not completely sold on the pure gesture-based approach but I'm getting used to it.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txflyer77
I upgraded on release day from an 8 to an Xs. For my first week I *hated* this damn phone. I've slowly gotten used to it.

Also, I realized a good chunk of my dislike is simply that the current generation of Apple leather cases are *garbage* compared to previous years. The brown leather case on my 8 is a beautiful deep mahogany with just the right amount of grip. The "saddle brown" of this year looks like a big slap of baby poop, adds way too much thickness and has almost no grip. I'll stick with it for now but just until the third-party case manufacturers catch up.

Still not completely sold on the pure gesture-based approach but I'm getting used to it.
I like the look of Hard Graft cases (www.hardgraft.com). Mr. Gfunk likes that they make sleeves so when you use the phone you just hold the caseless phone. Their actual permanently-on cases look nice too, though I haven't seen them in person.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I like the look of Hard Graft cases (www.hardgraft.com). Mr. Gfunk likes that they make sleeves so when you use the phone you just hold the caseless phone. Their actual permanently-on cases look nice too, though I haven't seen them in person.
Those sleeves look terrific, I may just have to pick one up.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txflyer77
Those sleeves look terrific, I may just have to pick one up.
Yeah, Mr. Gfunk discovered them several years ago and gave me the case he used for his iPhone 6 when he upgraded to the X. That case was gray felt and brown leather and I love it. It just doesn't fit my XS. He now has the "slim iPhone case" they make.

Their stuff is really well made and nice. I like it also because it's unusual, and not many people have it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.