Reload this Page >

The 2018 iPhones (Xs/Xs Max/Xr) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2018 iPhones (Xs/Xs Max/Xr) thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by wco81

That’s a key question.

Because of ongoing dispute with Qualcomm, apple may be trying to eliminate Qualcomm base band in favor of Intel base band.

There used to be one SKU with Qualcomm, in order to support CDMA but now there is just one SKU?
its just one model this year for the USA, and it supposedly supports cdma.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Seems like people don't get annoyed by pressing the power button twice for Apple Pay and downloading apps? This is why I prefer Touch ID.

Did some of you notice a change regarding cell reception from previous models?

iPhone XS and XS Max mostly fail to impress in lab tested RF power output
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:18 pm

I have an iPhone 6, just had a new battery put in at the Apple store two months ago. Phone work fine, but would I love to have the new XS Max. Now, I just need to deal with the price. I have TMo and only have the “senior” one plan, or whatever it’s called. The other line is my daughters, who hates Apple. The XS Max looks so sexy in my hand, damn!
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
I have an iPhone 6, just had a new battery put in at the Apple store two months ago. Phone work fine, but would I love to have the new XS Max. Now, I just need to deal with the price. I have TMo and only have the “senior” one plan, or whatever it’s called. The other line is my daughters, who hates Apple. The XS Max looks so sexy in my hand, damn!
Tmo is giving money towards trade ins. Might only get $100 or so for the 6 as a trade in but cant hurt. They seem to give the best prices for trade ins too, looking online at re sellers and generally the trade in price through third party sites is not worth the hassle
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:19 pm

I was looking at the Apple phone program or just buy the phone outright. Not keen on making payments.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:29 pm

I was looking at the Apple phone program or just buy the phone outright. Not keen on making payments.
Believe it should still apply if you buy it. Worth looking IMO, I dont like making payments either and planning to buy outright to get cc insurance benefits. Get credit towards and assume phone goes to a good home as a resale. I didn't look into too much detail, but If Tmo won't give you trade in credit Apple has a buyback program and their offers were quite good when I looked last compared to third party resellers
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by DG206
Believe it should still apply if you buy it. Worth looking IMO, I dont like making payments either and planning to buy outright to get cc insurance benefits. Get credit towards and assume phone goes to a good home as a resale. I didn't look into too much detail, but If Tmo won't give you trade in credit Apple has a buyback program and their offers were quite good when I looked last compared to third party resellers
I think Apple would offer me $75. No thanks on that offer.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I think Apple would offer me $75. No thanks on that offer.
How much more do you believe you can get for an iPhone 6?

Regards
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:30 pm

Not much more, I’ll just keep it for a back up.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marschel
Seems like people don't get annoyed by pressing the power button twice for Apple Pay and downloading apps? This is why I prefer Touch ID.

Did some of you notice a change regarding cell reception from previous models?

iPhone XS and XS Max mostly fail to impress in lab tested RF power output
I haven't pressed the power button on my Xs at all, except to lock it. Like previous phones, it detects NFC readers and shows the ApplePay cards automatically.

I didn't think I'd like Face ID, but it's so much superior to Touch ID. It's nearly instant and you don't even realize you're doing it.

I haven't noticed a change in reception.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by wco81

That’s a key question.

Because of ongoing dispute with Qualcomm, apple may be trying to eliminate Qualcomm base band in favor of Intel base band.

There used to be one SKU with Qualcomm, in order to support CDMA but now there is just one SKU?
I was over at a Apple/iPhone forum and there was a long running argument about Qualcomm vs Intel radios. Made me feel right as home as it was really like the Airbus vs Boeing threads over here

<ducks head>
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by scubadu
How much more do you believe you can get for an iPhone 6?

Regards
My brother got $120 for a 16GB unlocked iPhone 6 less than a month ago.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:39 pm

Bit the bullet and ordered 2 iPhone XS' for wife and I, Apple gave us $70ea trade in for our SE's which was not a bad deal for an older cheaper model that would just collect dust in my junk electronics pile otherwise. To confirm earlier TMo was doing the deal on trade in's for installment plans only, so for my SE wasn't really worth it, rather buy outright and keep my credit card insurance protections and forgo Apple Care

Tip for anyone maximizing points, many airline shopping portals have Apple as shopping partner. Shop Through Chase has them bonus 2pts/$ so points can really add up
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DG206
Bit the bullet and ordered 2 iPhone XS' for wife and I, Apple gave us $70ea trade in for our SE's which was not a bad deal for an older cheaper model that would just collect dust in my junk electronics pile otherwise. To confirm earlier TMo was doing the deal on trade in's for installment plans only, so for my SE wasn't really worth it, rather buy outright and keep my credit card insurance protections and forgo Apple Care

Tip for anyone maximizing points, many airline shopping portals have Apple as shopping partner. Shop Through Chase has them bonus 2pts/$ so points can really add up
I'm pretty sure the new iPhones and watches are exempted from portals for now, but it never hurts to try. Apple typically does this right when new products come out.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm pretty sure the new iPhones and watches are exempted from portals for now, but it never hurts to try. Apple typically does this right when new products come out.
Interesting, didn't realize that...guess Ill report back if it works. Not end of world, still put on same card I would have regardless

Edit: Ok yeah, it flashed really quickly before it went to the page. Had to look a few times since it went so fast

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.