Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

iPhone International and Apple Watch

Old Sep 13, 18, 1:28 am
Original Poster

I am grandfathered on ATT's unlimited international plan. Tethering is obviously disabled. If I buy an Apple Watch, can I connect it to my iPhone?
Old Sep 13, 18, 6:12 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador Elite
if you buy the Apple Watch with Cellular that will have it's own monthly plan ($10/mo I think) and shouldn't affect your grandfathered plan. If you buy the non-Cellular Apple Watch it communicates through your iPhone utilizing Bluetooth.

Personally, I think that Tmobile has a better unlimited / international plan w/ data and tethering than that old grandfathered AT&T plan. I had been on one of those for some time too.
Old Sep 19, 18, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
How often do you envision having the Apple Watch but not your iPhone?

If it's not very often, then it's pointless to get eve the cellular version of the Watch, never mind actually signing up for a data plan just for the Watch.
Old Sep 20, 18, 12:08 am
Original Poster

I don't want a cellular iWatch and don't imagine many separations. What I am concerned about is ATT blocking some needed function to allow the iWatch to connect to the iPhone. As noted above, I have to remove my ATT sim to connect my iPhone (by cable) to an HDMI port because of the way things are blocked. My second SIM is FI, and I am getting to the point of thinking about ditching my ATT plan, but I'm not there yet. My wife has just taken early retirement and is finishing a few international assignments on a contractor gig. Once that happens, Fi seems like enough.
Old Sep 20, 18, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
No if you have a non cellular Watch, why would AT&T be able to do anything to it?

The apps. and some of the features on the Watch may need connectivity to the Internet, which it gets from your iPhone.

So if you remove the SIM from your iPhone and there's no Wifi, the iPhone won't connect to the Internet and can't connect your Watch apps. to the Internet either.

I have a Series 2 Watch. If I use something like MapMyRun app, it will log my run or hike on a map and save it. But it depends on connectivity from the iPhone. It has its own GPS but I think the way that this particular app. works is to exchange data with the iPhone app.

So the iPhone app might get GPS and maps through the iPhone itself but the Watch app. will log my pulse and send that data over. Or maybe it just displays the pulse on the Watch app. itself but doesn't log it. I think it's Apple Health compatible so it probably sends that data over.
Old Sep 20, 18, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
No if you have a non cellular Watch, why would AT&T be able to do anything to it?
The issue is more that the Bluetooth connection to the iPhone could be considered tethering (much like other devices connected to it over Wi-Fi would). Depends on how the data connectivity on the watch is implemented, of course, but I suspect someone would have complained by now if it was actually an issue.

Search this Thread