Wiki Posts
Search

Fingerprint security real-world hacks?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Fingerprint security real-world hacks?

My new Pixel 2 XL is the first phone I've set up to unlock with a fingerprint reader — though I'm also using it on my latest laptop. The phone is scarily easy to unlock, meaning either its fingerprint reader is really accurate or it's not very discriminating.

I've read the articles describing a high false positive rate and the possibility that a "master key" glove could unlock many phones before hitting their attempts limit. I can't find any evidence such a device exists and poses a real threat.

Does anyone know whether there is really a significant current risk in using the fingerprint reader on a phone?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think iPhone and Android fingerprint sensors have about a 1 in 50,000 false positive rate. I wouldn't worry about it too much - though worth mentioning that Apple's newer FaceID (to which it's transitioning all its devices) has a false positive rate of more like 1 in 2,000,000.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by ajGoes
I've read the articles describing a high false positive rate and the possibility that a "master key" glove could unlock many phones before hitting their attempts limit. I can't find any evidence such a device exists and poses a real threat.
If you're reading the articles on the research at NYU and MSU, be sure to read beyond the mass media hype and realize that it was purely theoretical with no actual attempts on any real phone. Various reports state that they used a matching/spoofing method that Apple, for one at least, doesn't even use for exactly this reason.

It's a bit like stating that time travel is now possible because a few specific parameters in relativity/quantum mechanics could theoretically make it work, on paper.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by CPRich
If you're reading the articles on the research at NYU and MSU, be sure to read beyond the mass media hype and realize that it was purely theoretical with no actual attempts on any real phone. Various reports state that they used a matching/spoofing method that Apple, for one at least, doesn't even use for exactly this reason.
Hence my question: has any real-world threat been seen? Apparently not at this time so thanks for the reply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.