FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Costco Accepting Apple Pay and Google Wallet (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1926435-costco-accepting-apple-pay-google-wallet.html)

jgrossman2 Aug 21, 2018 8:24 am

Costco Accepting Apple Pay and Google Wallet

I read today that Costco's payment terminals now all accept Apple Pay and other NFC style payments like Google Pay (wallet). Does this circumvent using a Visa card only restriction with Costco or would the terminals detect if my default payment card in the app is an AMEX or other? Anyone have experience recently with it?

anhuang19 Aug 21, 2018 11:43 am

It does not circumvent using a Visa card only restriction. Any Visa card can be used at Costco, not just the co-branded Costco one.

TGarza Aug 21, 2018 3:15 pm

U.S. American Express Apple Pay FAQs

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...-pay/faqs.html

From the link

What is Apple Pay and can I participate as an American Express® Card Member?
U.S. American Express Card Members can now use an eligible American Express Card with Apple Pay to pay on the go at merchants who accept American Express contactless payments, in participating merchant apps, and on the web wherever American Express Cards are accepted. As an American Express Card Member, you can also get these features in Apple Pay:
  • Real-time notifications and details for your purchases when you use Apple Pay on iPhone® or iPad®. Notifications will be for transactions made with Apple Pay or your plastic Card.
  • Seamless connection with the Amex® Mobile app for enhanced account monitoring, servicing on the go and access to rewards and offers.

bocastephen Aug 21, 2018 10:06 pm

Apple Pay is still restricted to the merchant's card acceptance policy - for example, I tried using a credit card via Apple Pay at an ARCO gas station and was denied.

pseudoswede Aug 21, 2018 10:24 pm

I've been doing tap to pay at Costco for two years thanks to Samsung Pay.

msp3 Aug 22, 2018 1:50 am

It's not just Apple Pay that works, now that the wireless tap to pay has finally been turned on you can just tap your Costco credit card itself!

ryandelany Aug 27, 2018 10:05 pm

You are still limited to using a Visa card. Apple Pay is just the technology conduit between your credit card and the merchant so it doesn’t override whatever restrictions the merchant has in place.

I found this same issue in Europe this summer in various countries where AMEX isn’t as widely accepted.

Ryan

tmiw Aug 28, 2018 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by ryandelany (Post 30137611)
You are still limited to using a Visa card. Apple Pay is just the technology conduit between your credit card and the merchant so it doesn’t override whatever restrictions the merchant has in place.

While this is normally true, there are merchants who actually accept AmEx yet heavily discourage you from using one. NFC would be a workaround for such places--until they realize that's what's happening and have it disabled/stop people from using it, of course.

msp3 Aug 30, 2018 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 30141835)
While this is normally true, there are merchants who actually accept AmEx yet heavily discourage you from using one. NFC would be a workaround for such places--until they realize that's what's happening and have it disabled/stop people from using it, of course.

It's up to the merchant to hard-code card types in their system. Before Apple Pay adoption, two local places I frequent both said no Amex, but after their new POS terminal upgrades, Amex would go through at one while the other is actually hard-coded against it.

allset2travel Sep 1, 2018 12:34 pm

When will Costco accept Samsung Pay? Just curious!

tmiw Sep 1, 2018 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel (Post 30156242)

They have for a while now thanks to its ability to imitate a magnetic stripe.

TGarza Sep 1, 2018 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by msp3 (Post 30150462)
It's up to the merchant to hard-code card types in their system. Before Apple Pay adoption, two local places I frequent both said no Amex, but after their new POS terminal upgrades, Amex would go through at one while the other is actually hard-coded against it.

The merchant has to have an agreement with AMEX in order to accept the cards which is more than a merchant hard coding card types.

allset2travel Sep 1, 2018 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 30156461)
They have for a while now thanks to its ability to imitate a magnetic stripe.

Cool!
Try it on my next purchase.

pseudoswede Sep 4, 2018 8:42 am

Originally Posted by allset2travel (Post 30156242)

See post #5 above....

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 30113569)

allset2travel Sep 4, 2018 9:50 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 30113569)

I have to try that!