Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Ting mobile--anyone use it?

Old Aug 17, 18, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM; AS Gold; Nexion, LLC/Travel Leaders

I recently discovered that T-Mobile has much better coverage at my home and started looking at changing from AT&T after 10+ years as a customer. During my research on pricing/plans, I stumbled on a MVNO called Ting, which utilizes T-Mobile's GSM network (Ting also offers SIMs that utilize Sprint's CDMA network). Their pricing approach is similar to Project Fi in that you pay a very low fixed fee per line and pay for what you consume (minutes, texts and data). This would probably save me over $100/month for two lines. I would lose my current $15/mo DirecTV NOW package with free HBO from AT&T, but feel I could probably replace this through Hulu, Netflix, etc at minimal cost.

Ting offers free/low cost international callling as well, but roaming appears to be very expensive (even in MX/CA where AT&T allows free roaming). Realistically I travel to these "free roaming" regions no more than 1x/year, and am already very conditioned to purchase prepaid country-specific SIMs when I travel overseas.

Anyone have positive or negative experiences with this Company? I'm looking at going from $180/mo unlimited with AT&T for two lines to $75-85 on Ting. Potential for big savings if the service works!
Old Aug 18, 18, 10:36 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I had Ting mobile for my parents, because they use very little voice minutes, data and their phones were quite basic. However, what bothered me was that as soon as they mistakenly received 1 text message or went 1 minute over the tier limit, you would get billed for the next tier (of course, there was a 5% leeway but still you get the concept).

In the end, I switched them over to Google Fi, and it has been a total breeze since then. $20 / month + incremental data charges, No difference being overseas or in the US, predictable pricing, much better.
Old Aug 20, 18, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM; AS Gold; Nexion, LLC/Travel Leaders
Thanks for the info. I'm using iPhones, so Project Fi is not a perfect solution. Also, the per line base fee on Ting is only $6/line, so that cushions the lack of data rollover. Don't really worry about texts, since 90% of the time they go as iMessages. I still need to price out how my video subscriptions will be affected. Turns out free HBO on AT&T is worth more than I thought.
Old Aug 20, 18, 11:10 pm

I've been a satisfied Ting customer for years. I use them for friends and family that have minimal usage, and for various projects. Ting has excellent customer service, fair pricing, and they're very transparent about their offerings. Compare this to FreedomPop or other low cost carriers whose business proposition is tied to making it difficult to change/cancel, not providing actual telephone service, and generally putting you through hoops. Back to Ting: you can port your existing number in, keep an account open without service, and cancel service effortlessly.

Last edited by boberonicus; Aug 21, 18 at 12:11 am
Old Aug 29, 18, 10:26 am
TA

I will say that Ting has very convenient account admin tools / webpage for turning off or setting thresholds for voice, text, data that you can set on your accounts so that you don't blow through the limits and hit the next tier of pricing.
Old Aug 29, 18, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by boberonicus View Post
I've been a satisfied Ting customer for years. I use them for friends and family that have minimal usage, and for various projects. Ting has excellent customer service, fair pricing, and they're very transparent about their offerings. Compare this to FreedomPop or other low cost carriers whose business proposition is tied to making it difficult to change/cancel, not providing actual telephone service, and generally putting you through hoops. Back to Ting: you can port your existing number in, keep an account open without service, and cancel service effortlessly.
Ting is very transparent with their fees. I moved an elderly relative to Ting and I manage the account. Understanding which carrier network is being used by Ting for the number will provide the coverage area. I believe Ting uses both Sprint and T Mobile. For me, the coverage area for either carrier has gaps.
Old Aug 29, 18, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by TA View Post
I had Ting mobile for my parents, because they use very little voice minutes, data and their phones were quite basic. However, what bothered me was that as soon as they mistakenly received 1 text message or went 1 minute over the tier limit, you would get billed for the next tier (of course, there was a 5% leeway but still you get the concept).

In the end, I switched them over to Google Fi, and it has been a total breeze since then. $20 / month + incremental data charges, No difference being overseas or in the US, predictable pricing, much better.
They'd be charged for a received text message?
Old Aug 29, 18, 9:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
I have a couple of Sprint LTE-enabled devices that I barely use, but when I do I need them to have data. I pay for the minimal Ting Sprint plan, and have it set to shut down data altogether right before it hits the threshold for the next plan bump. I think I pay $6 most months, and $10 on the rare occasions I use the device. Works for me.
Old Aug 31, 18, 1:13 am
TA

Originally Posted by joshwex90 View Post
They'd be charged for a received text message?
Absolutely. Yes. That was also something that pissed me off, to be honest.

And there was no free texting between phones on the same account / family plan. Their reasoning when I complained about it was, "we get charged for everything, so we pass that on to the customer". If they had a graduated (rather than tiered) system I would've been somewhat more ok with it. But I hated having my parents charged $3 for receiving the first text message junk.

Search this Thread