Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Mophie juice pack question: red or green to charge?

Old Aug 12, 18, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA

I've just bought a Mophie juice pack for my Samsung phone, and I have a simple question that I am having a heck of a time finding the answer to. I did search and there are some FT threads that mention Mophie juice packs, including one that addresses charging it, but that thread (a) doesn't answer my question and (b) is 8 years old, and I know some don't like old threads bumped (although of course, if the mods want to move this to an existing thread, that's fine with me).

I've done a lot of searching on line to try to find the answer to this question: when charging the juice pack alone (without the phone in it) should it be switched on (green) or off (red)? I've found several things on line, including YouTube videos, mophie.com supposed user guides and Q&As, Quora discussions, etc. with excessively vague guidance such as "just flip the switch the other way." I've had the pack alone, without a phone in it, plugged in for going on 3 hours now, it's on 2 lights out of 4, just like when it came out of the box, and it doesn't seem to be making any progress.

Last edited by cubbie; Aug 14, 18 at 1:50 pm
Old Aug 14, 18, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
I figured out that the problem with charging the Mophie juice pack I bought for my Galaxy S5 is that it won't take a charge from the USB 3.0 cable that came with the phone, but it will take one from an older-style micro USB cable. I can use the new USB 3.0 cable to charge the phone outside of the Mophie, but I can't use it to charge the phone in the Mophie or to charge the Mophie alone. I was going to return the Mophie til I figured out I could use a regular micro USB to charge it. So, not ideal, but it works. Passing this info along for anyone else who has trouble charging one of these things. As for my original question, I presume it'll charge faster switched to off (red) but haven't timed it yet.