Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best Way To Sell My Iphone??

Old Aug 11, 18, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

What is the best way to sell my year old, space gray, 256 GB, unlocked IPhone 8 plus??

Last edited by John Isaac; Aug 11, 18 at 1:58 pm
Old Aug 11, 18, 2:21 pm

Neighborhood group such as Facebook or Nextdoor has worked for us with no hassles. Swappa.com is a popular resell site. Craigslist would be my last option.
Old Aug 11, 18, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!!
Old Aug 11, 18, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gazelle.com is also easy and straightforward. You can get a free quote from them online.
Old Aug 15, 18, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
You'll probably get best price and speed with craigslist (depending on the city of course) but it's a bit of a hassle, and be cautious about where one meets. Swappa is probably next best for final pricing and ease. Ship to customer, get cash, etc. Ebay would be faster and pricing can be solid (especially if you are willing to sell internationally and take international payments from paypal) but you'll pay the most in fees (13%) and it can be a headache if you get a lamb buyer. You'll still get your money, but it could be months of headache if the buyer tries to balk at the transaction. CYA with tracking, signature, etc.

I do most of this type of selling on craigslist for the higher $$ and hand over to buyer. Once they confirm all is good, i'm pretty done. Most buyers are willing to meet either in the city or near me at a starbucks. If it's a large $$ transaction, I'll met at the local PD, they have a "meetup" area in the waiting room. Bring a currency pen though. you'd be surprised.
Old Aug 15, 18, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by nmenaker View Post
and it can be a headache if you get a lamb buyer.
Ewe aren't kidding!
Old Aug 15, 18, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

I decided to go with Gazelle and received their shipping box in the mail today.

Thank you for all your help!!!
Old Aug 16, 18, 2:47 am

Programs: None
The marketplace platform in facebook is good enough. Also, if you're looking for an easier way and less hassle of selling your phone, you can try selling it online at trademore.com. They have a prepaid shipping in which it allows you to just deliver your device and upon receiving your device, they'll check it out and pay your through Paypal.
Old Aug 16, 18, 5:19 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
No idea where the OP is based but I’v had good success with Mazumamobile.com
jakejohnson likes this.
Old Aug 20, 18, 11:31 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
No idea where the OP is based but Iív had good success with Mazumamobile.com
I visited the site and yeah It's good, it has the same process with trademore.com. Anyway, thanks for sharing that site, I might be able to use it someday.
Old Aug 23, 18, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by nmenaker View Post
You'll probably get best price and speed with craigslist (depending on the city of course) but it's a bit of a hassle, and be cautious about where one meets. Swappa is probably next best for final pricing and ease. Ship to customer, get cash, etc. Ebay would be faster and pricing can be solid (especially if you are willing to sell internationally and take international payments from paypal) but you'll pay the most in fees (13%) and it can be a headache if you get a lamb buyer. You'll still get your money, but it could be months of headache if the buyer tries to balk at the transaction. CYA with tracking, signature, etc.

I do most of this type of selling on craigslist for the higher $$ and hand over to buyer. Once they confirm all is good, i'm pretty done. Most buyers are willing to meet either in the city or near me at a starbucks. If it's a large $$ transaction, I'll met at the local PD, they have a "meetup" area in the waiting room. Bring a currency pen though. you'd be surprised.
This. I sell most electronics second hand on craigslist without issue (occasionally a no show, but it's pretty rare). Always meet in a public place, cash only, make sure it's real, etc., just be careful. I've also sold an old iphone on Amazon, they have a buy back program. It's not as good or quick as CL, but it was ok.

My stepdad who's in his 70's tried to sell a 10yo car on CL and he got all kinds of scammers calling him. I never give out my number. email (through their anonymous proxy) only.
Old Aug 23, 18, 5:49 pm

When I have sold items on CL. I have always used a Google voice number to avoid providing my cell number.
Old Aug 25, 18, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

I just received my check from Gazelle for my phone!!
Old Aug 31, 18, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
tl;dr - Consider selling an older phone as trade-in bait

You will get the most amount of money when selling through CL or Facebook Marketplace. In exchange for that, you'll often get headaches.

After upgrading to Galaxy S9 phones (for Mrs. Swede and I), I had two mint condition Galaxy S7s that I was resigned to sell for about $180 each through Swappa. However, with the new Galaxy Note 9 promotions, T-Mobile was offering $500 each for my S7s!

My initial plan was to buy the Note 9s from T-Mobile via EIP (so $280+tax down for each phone), trade-in my S7s, then immediately flip the Note 9s for about $750 each, then immediately pay off the EIP balance ($1440) on both phones. That meant I would get $1000 in bill credits over 24 months (not bad at all). But then I figured I would have to hold onto the Note 9s until I see the bill credits on my account, which they said could take 2-3 billing cycles/months, then risk seeing the secondary-market prices drop further since Sprint also has a BOGO deal.

After launch, Costco/T-Mobile is offering a $500 trade-in credit for my S7s as a mix of instant bill credit and Mastercard prepaid gift card. Unfortunately, I didn't qualify because I do not have an unlimited plan. Otherwise, I probably would've run with that.

Then I realized... why not sell the S7s while promoting the $500 trade-in credits? So I posted on CL and Facebook Marketplace selling each phone for $200 with the title, "Get a $300 discount on a Note 9 by buying my S7 as a trade-in". After getting countless e-mails/messages from people asking to buy my Note 9 for $200 or $300 , I actually got two people interested rather quickly. As luck would have it, I was able to arrange for both parties to meet me at the same T-Mobile store at the same time. If everything goes well, I'll have $400 cash in my pocket by Saturday evening without the hassles of bill credits or rebates.

I will use that money towards purchasing new phones for my kids. Most likely LG V30s since there is a nice BOGO deal going on. Their HTC One M9s have degraded quickly over the past few months.
Old Sep 6, 18, 6:22 am

local tech shops will always be on the lookout - just be wary of the price that they try and knock you down to.

Search this Thread