Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

PSA: Zebra printer recall - fire hazard!

Old Aug 8, 18, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

I know this isn't exactly travel technology, but many of us have Zebra label printers around the office. I have two of them in my office and just had one of them smoke & melt its case after running flawlessly for years. We got lucky -- I was planning on rearranging the mail area on a Friday afternoon but got delayed, so it happened mid-day on a Monday, otherwise we'd might not have an office left. BTW, mine's not one of the 30 reported units yet as I've not had time to file with the CPSC.

From the CPSC:
Incidents/Injuries:The firm has received a total of 30 reports of the power supply units overheating or catching fire, including a fire that spread from the connector to the printer, damaging the printer and surrounding work space. No injuries have been reported.

Sold Atirect sales from Zebra and through Zebra distributors and resellers, including BlueStar Inc., Ingram Micro Data Capture Pos. Div., ScanSource and Wynit Distribution LLC, to businesses, hospitals and end-users from October 2006 through June 2013 for between $340 and $2,000 with Zebra printers and for about $130 as an aftermarket accessory.

https://cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/Zebra-...to-Fire-Hazard
Old Aug 8, 18, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, considering that my "office" is an extra bedroom that could be scary indeed.

Fortunately, mine's an industrial unit, no power brick.

(No, I have no actual need for an industrial level printer in a home office. I need to be able to reproduce problems from the factory environment and I need to be able to use the same code to print labels with working barcodes on them.)
Old Aug 10, 18, 9:14 pm

I just checked my 2 printers and they don't have power bricks. I have them for about 5 years. Maybe they were made after the timeframe.

Search this Thread