Pens and Aeroplanes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pens and Aeroplanes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
Pens and Aeroplanes

I like a good pen.

Specifically, rollerball pens like a Lamy M63 or a Parker Gel.

Without exception though, when I take them on a plane, the ink flow becomes very inconsistent, and no amount of holding it vertically, writing/scribbling for long periods of time etc allows it to recover - if I want to carry on silky smooth gel rollerball writing, I need to buy a new refill.

I fly about 8 times a month, so replacing the refills in my favorite pens is very impractical, I also can't take new refills with me when I travel because they will suffer the same fate.

The problem seems fairly obvious in that the pressure changes of flight cause the problem, but I can't believe that the manufactures ignore this problem. I've contacted both Parker and Lamy and neither could offer much advice.

So, FT community, can you help me:

1) Am I the only person in the world that experiences this problem so regularly?
2) If not, does anyone have any tips for reviving a refill that has been on a flight.
3) Does anyone have any recommendations for gel rollerball refills that are more pressure resistant than the two mentioned above.
4) Should I just get a fountain pen?

Thanks,
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I would strongly advise against a fountain pen on a flight. Any issues with ink flow and you have a serious mess on your hands - or shirt or trousers or seat....

Personally, I've never had any problem with cheap ball points on planes, which seem to work fine. Not satisfying but functional, a bit like flying itself.
Yoshi212 and shuuy like this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Ryanardo_daVinci
I like a good pen.

Specifically, rollerball pens like a Lamy M63 or a Parker Gel.

Without exception though, when I take them on a plane, the ink flow becomes very inconsistent, and no amount of holding it vertically, writing/scribbling for long periods of time etc allows it to recover - if I want to carry on silky smooth gel rollerball writing, I need to buy a new refill.

I fly about 8 times a month, so replacing the refills in my favorite pens is very impractical, I also can't take new refills with me when I travel because they will suffer the same fate.

The problem seems fairly obvious in that the pressure changes of flight cause the problem, but I can't believe that the manufactures ignore this problem. I've contacted both Parker and Lamy and neither could offer much advice.

So, FT community, can you help me:

1) Am I the only person in the world that experiences this problem so regularly?
2) If not, does anyone have any tips for reviving a refill that has been on a flight.
3) Does anyone have any recommendations for gel rollerball refills that are more pressure resistant than the two mentioned above.

Thanks,
Do you have the issue using these pens while in-flight, or only after arrival? If the latter, I'm guessing that as atmospheric pressure increases when descending, the ink is forced back from the ball assembly at the writing tip leaving it with a small air gap between the ball and the tip.

Have you tried holding the pen by the opposite end and "shaking it down" much like you would an old mercury thermometer? Alternately, attach the pen securely to a foot or two of string and twirl it overhead quickly for 15-30 seconds?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:34 pm

Do you fly with the pens tip up?

I bring back gel pens & refills in my carry-on, stored any which way, and they write without issue. Have you thought about a pressurized ballpoint like a Uni Tank? https://www.jetpens.com/blog/guide-t...ce-pens/pt/748

I have also resigned myself to functional "cheap and cheerful" (mostly ballpoint) pens while traveling and prefer extra fine points. JetPens offers gel pen sampler packs if you're willing to spend a bit for testing https://www.jetpens.com/Gel-Pen-Sets/ct/2676 Many of the Japanese pen manufacturers offer a nicer "office pen" which accepts their refills and there's also independent pen makers which offer pens that accept a wide variety of refills.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: Delta
I haven't experienced this problem with gel pens in flight or after a flight. Maybe try switching to a different brand or model of gel pen? The few times I've carried a Uniball Signo 207 gel pen it's worked fine on board and later.

If you choose a fountain pen, try to keep it with the nib pointing up during the flight - that minimizes the chances of pressure changes forcing the ink out and creating a mess. (Other tips include keeping the pen either completely full or completely empty of ink.)

As others have remarked, ordinary ballpoint pens work fine. I usually carry an old-fashioned Pilot V5 rollerball pen and can testify I've never had a problem with ink flow or leaks any time (even though the company's web site suggests that it's really not leakproof in flight). The "RT" retractable models of rollerball pens from Pilot are guaranteed to be flight-safe.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've never had any problems with numerous cheap-o pend or with various Montblancs, Watermans or Pelikans.

(There were all roller or ballpoints, never a fountain pen)
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
No, although my problems were different.

Don't use one.

No.

Absolutely yes. The easiest solution ever.

My document holder always has a UA ballpoint pen just for the purpose of using in-flight. Using pens with other designs will simply end badly.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
So the spinning the pen around idea had limited success, but I couldnt spin it any faster, so I tried this:

Unfortunately I think that I drove for too long and actually forced all of the ink out of the refill.
freecia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.