Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Laptop Usage & 2 in 1's/Touchscreens...

Laptop Usage & 2 in 1's/Touchscreens...

Old Jul 25, 18, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Something like this and you're done. Many posters here are failing to notice the need for the numeric keypad.

https://www.costco.com/HP-ENVY-x360-...100416703.html
Old Jul 28, 18, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, Free Agent
I have 2 touch screen laptops. an Acer chromebook and an Acer Intel Gen 8 with Windows for windows stuff. I do use the touch screen a lot. Pinch to zoom especially. I would like to have a num pad, and have noticed you can get a USB numpad for $13. So I am thinking about that.

Amazon Amazon
Old Jul 29, 18, 1:05 am

Would you consider a laptop + a tablet/cheaper convertible? I have a Dell XPS 13 as my main desktop replacement laptop (which you can also get as a 15 in. laptop), you can add a numpad as an external USB device, and I also carry an Android Samsung Galaxy Tab tablet for casual web browsing/netflix.
Old Aug 8, 18, 2:25 am
hln

I love touchscreen laptops. However, I've never used a 2-in-1, I just didn't see the point
Old Apr 22, 19, 10:58 pm

I don't travel as much as most of you, but have to do a lot of work on my laptop. This is mostly Office and web type work, but sometimes needs working on 2-3 files on the same screen at the same time. I can toggle between documents, but it's a hassle. I just picked up a new contract that would be best done (when on my laptop) with a pen, so I need a solution which lets me do my normal laptop work typing and referring to multiple documents, but also allows me to comment on documents (with complex math notation) with a pen.

I'm thinking that something like a VivoBook (https://www.asus.com/ca-en/2-in-1-PC...ip-14-TP410UA/) might work and is available locally, but am flexible with form and OS. Should I just carry 2 machines around? A laptop and a tablet? Which tablet (since I have a laptop)? Even when at home with my big, fancy screens, I would need to move to this machine for the math comments.

The machine linked above is pretty inexpensive, but budget is not the major concern. For a 2-in-1 it would have to be 14-15". When I mentioned the idea, Mrs. PITUK like the idea of doing her artwork with a stylus, which would help me justify the price .

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Old Apr 23, 19, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by painintheuk View Post
Should I just carry 2 machines around? A laptop and a tablet?
I would say yes, as I am reluctant regarding Asus, especially the VivoBook.

The VivoBook uses i7 and a tradition hard drive. These 2 cost power. And yet Asus claims it can last all days? When budget is never an issue, SSD is a must for a laptop. Also - 8GB DDR4? It is definitely fast, but not necessarily mean you have enough memory (Note - 8GB memory is practically a standard years ago).

Last but not the least - my experience with Asus laptops was Asus laptops tend to have bad DC jack soldered at the motherboard. I am not sure this is the case for the VivoBook. But this scare makes me scared enough not to buy any Asus laptops (FWIW - Asus is the only brand I know with the DC jack problem).

I would buy a X1 Carbon instead.

Which tablet (since I have a laptop)?
Any Android. Apple's iPad has heavily restricted the usage.
Old Apr 24, 19, 10:52 pm

Thanks @garykung. The Asus does come with an SSD option, and that's all I would get. The power thing is interesting. I had an Asus laptop (10+?) years ago which was great - until the power connector broke.

My current laptop - which I hate - is a former top of the line XPS 15. NOT looking for another Dell.

I'll keep looking.

Dr. PITUK
Old Apr 25, 19, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
The power thing is interesting. I had an Asus laptop (10+?) years ago which was great - until the power connector broke.
I have a Dell Inspiron 7000-series 2-in-1 laptop. What I like about it is that it has a DC port plus you can also use the USB-C port for charging. It's an okay laptop; not sure if I could absolutely recommend it.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Apr 25, 19 at 9:29 am
Old Apr 25, 19, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Thanks @garykung. The Asus does come with an SSD option, and that's all I would get. The power thing is interesting. I had an Asus laptop (10+?) years ago which was great - until the power connector broke.
Do you know what is even more interesting? Many HP machines (both desktop/laptops) use Asus motherboards exclusively for HP. But HP machines have no such problem AFAICT.

My current laptop - which I hate - is a former top of the line XPS 15. NOT looking for another Dell.
For some unknown reasons, probably because Michael does not listen to others, among all laptop product lines Dell has, XPS somehow has the worst designs. So I am not surprised you don't like Dell. But FWIW - its Latitude line isn't bad. Most people I know using Latitude usually don't complain a lot about that (but it could partly due to the fact that these Latitude are company laptop).
Old Apr 25, 19, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
To follow up almost a year later...
I eventually bought a refurb Dell Inspiron 5000 series, 15". I really don't use the touchscreen all that much.

Have had it 10 months. Put a few scratches on the cover, and have accidentally dropped it a few times with no issues. Works fine for my purposes.

Lately, when I reboot the bios has been telling me there is an issue with the AC adapter. The plug sticks out absurdly far from the jack on the side of the machine; and is bending a bit, so I think that is the source of the problem and I'll need to pick up a new one sometime soon. Still works, no power issues. (Knock wood)
Old Apr 27, 19, 9:28 am

I don't travel as much as most of you, but have to do a lot of work on my laptop. This is mostly Office and web type work, but sometimes needs working on 2-3 files on the same screen at the same time. I can toggle between documents, but it's a hassle. I just picked up a new contract that would be best done (when on my laptop) with a pen, so I need a solution which lets me do my normal laptop work typing and referring to multiple documents, but also allows me to comment on documents (with complex math notation) with a pen.

I'm thinking that something like a VivoBook (https://www.asus.com/ca-en/2-in-1-PC...ip-14-TP410UA/) might work and is available locally, but am flexible with form and OS. Should I just carry 2 machines around? A laptop and a tablet? Which tablet (since I have a laptop)? Even when at home with my big, fancy screens, I would need to move to this machine for the math comments.

The machine linked above is pretty inexpensive, but budget is not the major concern. For a 2-in-1 it would have to be 14-15". When I mentioned the idea, Mrs. PITUK like the idea of doing her artwork with a stylus, which would help me justify the price .

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Can I make a suggestion? Pick up a secondary screen. Using an android tablet as an extension likely would give you more functionality, but if you need 14-15" of additional space to your 2-in-1, Asus and AOC make some USB-powered monitors that might help...

Amazon Amazon
(Canadian site... prices will be different for US or UK site)

There is also an old thread here for a brand out of China, but not sure how hard it would be to get it here.

Search this Thread