Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

USB European (France/Germany/Netherlands) charger recommendations

Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Looking for a wall charger that can quickly charge 2 iPhones and 2 battery chargers for the iPhones.

Also looking for a wall charger that is compact which may have 2-3 USB ports so I can quickly charge at a café or anywhere outside the hotel including train.

Thanks.

Last edited by Analise; Jul 10, 2018 at 5:45 pm
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just get a good USB charger and buy a set of outlet adapters. I have this one from Anker, which has 4 2A USB ports.

Go to Target or Walmart or Best Buy or whatever and get a set of outlet adapters.

Outlets in Europe seem to be less frequent than here. Instead of trying to hunt for an outlet at a cafe, it's probably better to get a battery that you can plug your devices into, like this one.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:40 pm

Anker also makes a 2-in-1 charger & battery pack https://www.anker.com/products/varia...-5000/A1621011

I also prefer using a battery during the day rather than hunting for an outlet and leave the charger in the room. +1 Anker battery posted by gfunkdave. Anker ~10,000 mAh power banks weigh around 6-8 oz which is roughly around the weight of an iPhone 8+ so it isn't too heavy to put in a day bag/purse.

The iPhone X, 8, & 8+ charge faster via usb-c PD to lightning https://www.macrumors.com/guide/ipho...eeds-compared/ if you have one of those models and quick charging is important. There aren't a lot of 10,000 mAh USB-C (output) power banks for sale. Most seem to be double that capacity. This one from Tronsmart https://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-104.../dp/B01KNJQZ4W has been available for some time but is a little heavy for the capacity.

Last edited by freecia; Jul 10, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

I have the iPhone SE and an iPad Mini4. Good point about having a backup battery. I will be taking 3 trains that will have sockets at the seat which is why I wanted something compact that I could charge while on the train.

Last edited by Analise; Jul 10, 2018 at 5:31 pm
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Anker 4 port charger I linked to is probably about as small as a 40W 4 port charger can be.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Analise
Looking for a wall charger that can quickly charge 2 iPhones and 2 battery chargers for the iPhones.

Also looking for a wall charger that is compact which may have 2-3 USB ports so I can quickly charge at a café or anywhere outside the hotel including train.

Thanks.
If you're staying in American or the larger European (Accor) chain hotels in Europe, their rooms should have a fairly convenient set up for electronics recharging possibly with USB ports in the room.

I've found it gets tricky, however, if you're staying in independent properties, especially in the middle of older cities. There are fewer electrical outlets than you'll find in hotel rooms in the US, and many times, they're inconveniently located under beds or behind desks, close to the floor--maybe not where you want to leave a phone or tablet for recharging. I've also found that some European outlets are not very friendly to a four-port plug-in charger combined with an adapter as the combined weight tends to pull them out of the socket.

If you're staying a lot in the latter type of room, here's what I recommend. Rather than the plug-in charger, consider a small block like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M2UNX0T/ref=sr_ob_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1531332593&sr=8-8 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M2UNX0T/ref=sr_ob_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1531332593&sr=8-8
. I'm part of the chorus that likes Anker products, and I've been using a variant of this for three or four years. The block is not much bigger than a plug-in charger, and there's a long, detachable electrical cord that's useful when you're in the US. Instead of an electrical adapter, I get a figure-8 cord with an EU plug that can plug into the Anker, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/InstallerParts-Europlug-Non-Polarized-European-Power/dp/B01DQ6RM0K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531332671&sr=8-3&keywords=european+power+cords https://www.amazon.com/InstallerParts-Europlug-Non-Polarized-European-Power/dp/B01DQ6RM0K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531332671&sr=8-3&keywords=european+power+cords
. Now, instead of my phone or tablet lying on the floor, I can place them on a nightstand or the top of a desk. I know there are more ports here than you need, but if you're ever traveling with someone who also needs electronics charged, you'll still have more than enough ports. And while the electrical cord may seem like a lot to carry, I find packing it like packing a belt by running it along the inner edge of your suitcase means you'll hardly notice it. I also carry a battery--Anker again although I prefer a battery with two ports, just in case two devices desperately need recharging at the same time--and use this when I'm on the go. If you want to use a plug-in on the train, just pop into a local hardware or phone shop in the EU where you can find a plug-in built for that market rather than cobbling together an adapter with a standard phone charger.

I'm heading to the UK for next week for a trip through the end of the month, and I'll stay in a fair number of small, independent hotels or B&Bs where charging electronics are an afterthought. I'll use the set up I've described to charge my cell phone, tablet, and Bose headphones. The block, its accompanying American electrical cord, and five USB charger cables that are a foot or so long fit within one of those small mesh pencil cases that elementary school kids use. I'll put the UK electrical cord in my carryon luggage, just as described above. As I say, unnecessary if you're staying in modern accommodations, but I think you'll find this kind of setup useful in smaller, independent hotels or B&Bs, especially where your accommodations are in older buildings.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

I am staying in small, independent hotels (one in Paris and one in a small town outside of Dortmund) for 7 of the 8 nights of the trip. The last night I'll be at a Hampton Inn at Schiphol whose rooms have plenty of outlets. I've stayed there many times.

Thank you everybody for your assistance. I'll get the Anker 5 USB charger with the European plug (plus the UK plug for next year). I will also get the 10000 mAh external battery as it charges quickly.

I am hoping to find something for the train as my husband will be with me on two of the trips and he'll want to plug in his iPhone too.

Amazon Prime is having an electronic sales day on Monday so I'll wait until then. The Best Buy near us in midtown Manhattan has a very limited selection of mobile phone accessories so I don't even bother.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Go to Target or Walmart or Best Buy or whatever and get a set of outlet adapters.
Really? On this forum? That's such a kettle approach. We know of so many more better solutions, for example the MOGICS Bagel or one of these
power strips power strips
(plus optional universal plug converter). The thinness of the latter is very alluring to me. (No idea why the forum puts in a linebreak.)

As for chargers, Monoprice has a sale on this four port 42W USB charger, for 12 dollars. I am increasingly wary of buying electronics from Amazon because they comingle sellers inventory based on UPC codes so if one seller sells a fake every seller will sell a fake. Another approach would be getting two of this two port charger. Say, that Anker is 3.27" x 2.68" x 1.1" whereas two of this thing is 4.2" x 1.6" x 1.0" -- smaller in volume and flatter. Two plugs is not a problem since the Bagel has five plugs and the Road Warrior power strip I linked above has three...

Last edited by chx1975; Jul 14, 2018 at 6:11 am
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chx1975
Really? On this forum? That's such a kettle approach. We know of so many more better solutions, for example the MOGICS Bagel or one of these power strips (plus optional universal plug converter). The thinness of the latter is very alluring to me. (No idea why the forum puts in a linebreak.)

As for chargers, Monoprice has a sale on this four port 42W USB charger, for 12 dollars. I am increasingly wary of buying electronics from Amazon because they comingle sellers inventory based on UPC codes so if one seller sells a fake every seller will sell a fake. Another approach would be getting two of this two port charger. Say, that Anker is 3.27" x 2.68" x 1.1" whereas two of this thing is 4.2" x 1.6" x 1.0" -- smaller in volume and flatter. Two plugs is not a problem since the Bagel has five plugs and the Road Warrior power strip I linked above has three...
Plug adapters, genius. Not chargers.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Yes and MOGICS and Road Warrior both sell much better plug adapters... what you get in a normal store will be a big unwieldy brick.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:11 am
Original Poster

chx1975, thanks for your input. I'd rather buy an all-in-one compact charger/adaptor with at least 2 USB ports that I can plug into a European socket on the trains.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Honestly, it's just better to get a few Schuko adapters (
Amazon Amazon
) and use your existing USB chargers. I have about 6 that I keep in Sweden, and I carry 3 adapters at all times for the family to use while traveling to/from Europe.

Originally Posted by chx1975
As for chargers, Monoprice has a sale on this four port 42W USB charger, for 12 dollars.
Thanks for this. I wish they made a two-port 24W version (I currently have an 17W version). Oh well, picking this one up. These are perfect for when the only bed-side outlet in the hotel is behind the night table.

Edited to add: phooey. No free shipping. Now on the fence.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.