Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Disable messages during Ppt presentation on iPad

Old Jun 27, 18, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, PL_Marriott, GHertz

I know the long version of this, but is there a shortcut to stop messages (email, WhatsApp, SMS, forum alerts, breaking news, etc.) from popping up on the screen during a Powerpoint presentation when I run a cable from my iPad Pro2 to a screen for an audience of a few thousand?

I cannot use Airplane mode because I change the huge Ppt file up until the last minute and it resides on Microsoft's One Drive!

Last edited by Xeno; Jun 27, 18 at 9:00 am
Old Jun 27, 18, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Try turning on Do Not Disturb, and setting the Silence option to Always.
Old Jun 27, 18, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
Try turning on Do Not Disturb, and setting the Silence option to Always.
Thanks, but Do Not Disturb disables all pop-ups across the board?

Sound is not an issue because the volume is off on the iPad during this kind of presentation.

Edited to say that Silence claims to stop notifications so I will test this later today.

Last edited by Xeno; Jun 27, 18 at 11:26 am
Old Jun 27, 18, 1:29 pm

You can set up do not disturb based on calendar events so it automatically shuts off notifications and messages during your meeting.
Old Jun 27, 18, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ITWI View Post
You can set up do not disturb based on calendar events so it automatically shuts off notifications and messages during your meeting.
I know how to set hours but not calendar so please explain.
Old Jun 27, 18, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ITWI View Post
iOS does not support this capability. A few apps do, many of which require a jailbreak. There are also some DND/notification improvements planned for iOS 12.
Old Jun 28, 18, 4:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AA Gold, UA Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
I know the long version of this, but is there a shortcut to stop messages (email, WhatsApp, SMS, forum alerts, breaking news, etc.) from popping up on the screen during a Powerpoint presentation when I run a cable from my iPad Pro2 to a screen for an audience of a few thousand?

I cannot use Airplane mode because I change the huge Ppt file up until the last minute and it resides on Microsoft's One Drive!
Nevermind ... didn't see the airplane mode issue at first.
Old Jun 28, 18, 9:00 am

Do not disturb with the current iOS version only prevents alerts when the device is locked.

Try changing Notifications to Never and setting the device to Silent to prevent previews, sounds and vibrations.
Old Jun 29, 18, 4:46 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by TGarza View Post
Do not disturb with the current iOS version only prevents alerts when the device is locked..
Not true - you can choose the setting.

In General, Settings, Do Not Disturb, Silence -> Always

OP, if you change that setting, and also Allow Calls From - > No One, and Repeated Calls -> Off, that should totally prevent interruptions
Old Jun 29, 18, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by D582 View Post
Not true - you can choose the setting.

In General, Settings, Do Not Disturb, Silence -> Always

OP, if you change that setting, and also Allow Calls From - > No One, and Repeated Calls -> Off, that should totally prevent interruptions
Apple disagrees with your statement

"With Do Not Disturb, you can silence calls, alerts, and notifications that you get while your device is locked. You can also schedule Do Not Disturb and allow calls from certain people."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht204321
Old Jun 30, 18, 1:12 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by TGarza View Post
Apple disagrees with your statement

"With Do Not Disturb, you can silence calls, alerts, and notifications that you get while your device is locked. You can also schedule Do Not Disturb and allow calls from certain people."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht204321

If you're going to post reference documentation, I would highly suggest you read the entire document. This functionality is clearly spelt out.

Change your settings

If you don't want to be disturbed at a certain time, you can set a schedule. Tap Settings > Do Not Disturb and turn on Scheduled. Then set a time.

You can also choose when you want to receive alerts, calls, and notifications:
  • Silence: Choose to silence calls and notifications always or only when the device is locked.
  • Allow Calls From: Allow calls from everyone, no one, your favorites, or specific contact groups stored on your device or iCloud.
  • Repeated Calls: If someone calls you twice within three minutes, the second call isn't silenced.

Search this Thread