FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Any options for wiping iPhone when it will no longer charge/turn on? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1915230-any-options-wiping-iphone-when-will-no-longer-charge-turn.html)

cblaisd Jun 19, 2018 8:33 am

Any options for wiping iPhone when it will no longer charge/turn on?

As the tech support person for our family, I need to get a replacement (probably iPhone 7) for someone whose phone got dropped, screen cracked, and it will no longer charge or turn on at all.

I'd like, if possible, to get a few bucks on a "for parts" basis on eBay, but need/want to wipe the data from it first, of course.

But since it won't turn on, I can't do that per usual.

Any options, or am I sol.

Thanks!

Jaimito Cartero Jun 19, 2018 8:36 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 29882391)
As the tech support person for our family, I need to get a replacement (probably iPhone 7) for someone whose phone got dropped, screen cracked, and it will no longer charge or turn on at all.

I'd like, if possible, to get a few bucks on a "for parts" basis on eBay, but need/want to wipe the data from it first, of course.

But since it won't turn on, I can't do that per usual.

Any options, or am I sol.

Thanks!

What model?

Can you access anything by hooking it up to your desktop?

cblaisd Jun 19, 2018 8:39 am

6S

No, can't access anything hooking to my computer. When I attempt to turn it on, it shows the "need to plug in" graphic. When I do so, it never charges at all.

chipmaster Jun 19, 2018 10:26 am

Try calling Apple support or Genius Bar? I'm not optimistic, when your phone is dead one of the downsides of the highly integrated OS/Phone seems to be ability to get in. I had similar issue with my phone, no cracked screen, but slight bent but better than you could charge would actually see the Apple logo come on and could charge, but wouldn't boot up.. Took to Apple store, pretty much said w/o screen access nothing they can do to unlock it. Same issue, lose your access code forget it. I tried to pawn off two iPhones fully working, but we forget the base passcode, not the screen lock, even in the fleamarkets in China they wouldn't touch it. I was surprised they weren't even interested in the overhead for scrap value of the chips.

gfunkdave Jun 19, 2018 11:05 am

Try putting the phone in DFU mode, then using iTunes to wipe it. I think it's the "Restore Device" button in iTunes.

https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/DFU_Mode

Or just smash it with a hammer and microwave it for 2 seconds.

antichef Jun 19, 2018 11:46 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 29883011)
Try putting the phone in DFU mode, then using iTunes to wipe it. I think it's the "Restore Device" button in iTunes.

For secure destruction of all data lots of hammer blows until all parts reduced to broken bits. Then scatter in different bins!

cblaisd Jun 19, 2018 6:03 pm

No joy on getting it to enter DFU mode.

Will microwaving it really erase the data?

gfunkdave Jun 20, 2018 6:42 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 29884449)
No joy on getting it to enter DFU mode.

Will microwaving it really erase the data?

Do the buttons on it not work either? You need to keep holding the Home button until iTunes tells you it found a phone in recovery mode.

Microwaving will fry the circuits. But if you microwave it for more than a couple seconds you might destroy your microwave. If you want to be really paranoid, just smash it with a hammer.

By default all data is encrypted on the phone. The FBI *might* be able to get into it if they really wanted to, but I think you're being overly paranoid. Just sell it for scrap and be done with it.

cblaisd Jun 20, 2018 7:49 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 29886103)
Do the buttons on it not work either? You need to keep holding the Home button until iTunes tells you it found a phone in recovery mode.

I've put lots of phones into DFU over the years. Yes, the buttons work. But, no, the phone is still not found by iTunes.

deniah Jun 20, 2018 8:27 am

yes. and then into a vitamix/blendtec blender just to be safe.

Jaimito Cartero Jun 20, 2018 9:36 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 29886327)
I've put lots of phones into DFU over the years. Yes, the buttons work. But, no, the phone is still not found by iTunes.

Oh, and buy a good case for the next one! :)

cblaisd Jun 20, 2018 9:40 am

I have strongly counseled the iPhone's owner to do so :)

I'm also tempted to add the $11/month AT&T insurance to that phone. Yes, I know it's a bit of a rip-off, but this is the third dropped phone mishap in several years.

MSPeconomist Jun 20, 2018 9:45 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 29886103)

Microwaving will fry the circuits. But if you microwave it for more than a couple seconds you might destroy your microwave. If you want to be really paranoid, just smash it with a hammer.

By default all data is encrypted on the phone. The FBI *might* be able to get into it if they really wanted to, but I think you're being overly paranoid. Just sell it for scrap and be done with it.

I'd run over it with a car. No need to risk making an aroma you don't want in the microwave. Trying to burn it might create toxic chemicals.

antichef Jun 20, 2018 10:22 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29886757)
I'd run over it with a car. No need to risk making an aroma you don't want in the microwave. Trying to burn it might create toxic chemicals.

The hammer is good aerobic exercise, and can be very therapeutic ;)

Silver Fox Jun 20, 2018 10:30 am

Tenderize it with a hammer, then barbecue it, then post the pictures here please! :)