Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Sprint's new $15/month plan that includes global roaming

Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/plans...kickstart.html

Any thoughts on this? Currently on / grandfathered into TMo's $100/ 4 line, but this is tempting.

Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
This looks pretty solid. It looks like their global roaming is similar to TMmobile which is what my wife is on and it is pretty painful sometimes. The price is right but we usually end up buying a data pack. At this price you could do that pretty easily though.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:16 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I was really thinking about switching, but looking at the compatible phones, it doesn't seem like any of ours are.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by jason8612
I was really thinking about switching, but looking at the compatible phones, it doesn't seem like any of ours are.
That is a problem as it does add to the cost. I am also looking at the one year free deal from Sprint now and it looks pretty decent also. My wife has an S7 Edge intl unlocked version and it doesnt like it online...see if I can do it on the phone. Verizon cut my bill by 25% and gave me 5GB of data versu 2GB after I talked to them about cancelling my contract so I did ok there without switching.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I personally value service actually working, even if it means I have to pay more. Though it has been a couple of years since I switched away from them, so maybe it's gotten better in San Diego.

Anyway, $15/month is a pretty good deal if Sprint is decent in your area. (Even better is that one $0 deal from Virgin, but I don't know if they still do it and if roaming is even possible. And IIRC it required an iPhone.)
Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Many told me Sprint's free-service-for-a-year offer was a terrible deal because of the service. Yes, I only get 70Mbps at home vs. 110Mbps I get with Verizon. I've managed to live with it, and saved $1200 over the year. I'm looking for a way to port over to Vz as my free year ends this month, and then hop right back on with this offer. No, their CS isn't great, but I've only dealt with them twice. Coverage has been fine for me, and with the TMo merger, any remaining network issues will likely be addressed, I suspect.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by CPRich
Coverage has been fine for me, and with the TMo merger, any remaining network issues will likely be addressed, I suspect.
That's assuming the merger eventually goes through. Even if approved, that can take years
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CPRich
Many told me Sprint's free-service-for-a-year offer was a terrible deal because of the service. Yes, I only get 70Mbps at home vs. 110Mbps I get with Verizon. I've managed to live with it, and saved $1200 over the year. I'm looking for a way to port over to Vz as my free year ends this month, and then hop right back on with this offer. No, their CS isn't great, but I've only dealt with them twice. Coverage has been fine for me, and with the TMo merger, any remaining network issues will likely be addressed, I suspect.
Getting a bit slower speeds on LTE would be one thing. Only having LTE ~50% of the time (like I did), on the other hand, is a different story. Ultimately it came down to coordination issues with Mexico as their 800MHz band was never enabled in my area the entire time I had them.

However, their CS was mostly decent from what I remember, so there's that at least. And maybe their roaming deal with T-Mobile will cover the LTE dead spots, too.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Sprint guy here through 20 years and 10 phones. Coverage in Colorado always good; not an issue in the US metro areas I travel to; my barber shop, of all places, is a dead spot.

Customer service has declined through the years, as it has for all services and all products. But if the phone is reliable (I'm currently on an LG V20 and it's flawless) and the coverage meets your needs, when do you need CS anyway?

And did we mention it's fifteen freakin' dollars a month?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any thoughts on doing this without porting in a number?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Porting a number is a requirement to get the $15++ unlimited kickstart plan.

-David
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
You could pick up a cheap (.01-$1) SIM like h2o. That would give you a telephone number to port to Sprint.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia
You could pick up a cheap (.01-$1) SIM like h2o. That would give you a telephone number to port to Sprint.
Porting out from most/all of these cheap SIMs require you to have the account activated/in credit, which normally requires a lot more than $0.01

The better option is normally to use AT&T prepaid - you can get the SIM kits online for $1 and then you'll need to top-up $10 (or less... but doing less is.. umm.. difficult) in order to be able to port out.

Whilst no cheaper than others, this has the advantage that ports from AT&T will normally go much smoother than from MVNO's like H2O.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Ooooo Dilemma, dilemma,

Option 1
Just go with this $15/mo plan and forget about it.
Cost this year - $360+tax

Option 2
Sign up for 1 year free plan, and risk not having an equivalent plan a year later
Cost this year - $0+ tax
Potential - $85/month price difference in 12 months.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by samwise6222
Ooooo Dilemma, dilemma,
You are ignoring the fact that they haven't stated how long the $15 plan will last...

One would hope/expect that it's more than one year, but especially with the T-Mobile deal coming along, who knows...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.