Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Email accounts from different domains into 1 inbox?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 8:50 am
Original Poster

I recently changed the name and domain of a start-up that's (hopefully) about to launch. I'd like to switch my email from [email protected] to [email protected] and view emails to both accounts in a single inbox on a desktop PC. I'm using Roundcube via Bluehost. I'd like to keep all the old emails in this new, combined inbox, and will of course hold onto the old domain. Roundcube doesn't offer this, and I can't find any Chrome app that does. Right now I have to bring up a second browser (not just a tab) to keep both accounts open simultaneously, but of course they're not combined. Can anyone help this reasonably tech savvy non-geek, or at least tell me it can't be done so I stop wasting my time?
Old May 25, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Tod E Tosser
I recently changed the name and domain of a start-up that's (hopefully) about to launch. I'd like to switch my email from [email protected] to [email protected] and view emails to both accounts in a single inbox on a desktop PC. I'm using Roundcube via Bluehost. I'd like to keep all the old emails in this new, combined inbox, and will of course hold onto the old domain. Roundcube doesn't offer this, and I can't find any Chrome app that does. Right now I have to bring up a second browser (not just a tab) to keep both accounts open simultaneously, but of course they're not combined. Can anyone help this reasonably tech savvy non-geek, or at least tell me it can't be done so I stop wasting my time?
Why not delete the OldName email box and create an email forward from You@OldName to You@NewName? No need to maintain separate mailboxes if you don't intend to utilize them as such.

Obviously before you do that backup the messages somewhere so you have access to them.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElCaminoReal
Why not delete the OldName email box and create an email forward from You@OldName to You@NewName? No need to maintain separate mailboxes if you don't intend to utilize them as such.

Obviously before you do that backup the messages somewhere so you have access to them.
Thanks. That's definitely an option. I should have mentioned that if possible I'd like access to all the old messages in the same place where the new ones arrive so I don't have to toggle back and forth. There's a ton of information I'll need to access in the future.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:56 am

Thanks. That's definitely an option. I should have mentioned that if possible I'd like access to all the old messages in the same place where the new ones arrive so I don't have to toggle back and forth. There's a ton of information I'll need to access in the future.
You could use a migration service to migrate messages from one mailbox to the other. Or use a desktop client to connect to each account via IMAP and copy the messages over manually. For instance, my primary email is an Exchange account but I moved from Gmail. I copied all of my Gmail messages to the Exchange account so I can access everything in one place and Gmail just forwards. It results in pretty much what you're looking for. Another option is to see if the email hosting supports aliases which essentially associates a mailbox with multiple incoming addresses. Not all platforms support this and it can sometimes be cumbersome to configure.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElCaminoReal
You could use a migration service to migrate messages from one mailbox to the other. Or use a desktop client to connect to each account via IMAP and copy the messages over manually. For instance, my primary email is an Exchange account but I moved from Gmail. I copied all of my Gmail messages to the Exchange account so I can access everything in one place and Gmail just forwards. It results in pretty much what you're looking for. Another option is to see if the email hosting supports aliases which essentially associates a mailbox with multiple incoming addresses. Not all platforms support this and it can sometimes be cumbersome to configure.
Thanks. I'll start looking at those options.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:22 am

I'm not familiar with either bluehost or roundcube but it looks like the former is a web hosting service and the latter is a web-based email front-end.

is bluehost hosting both your old and new domains? Are they also hosting your email server? If yes, there should be no reason they can't point the MX records for your new domain at your existing mail server, and configure the mail server to accept mail for the new domain. From a cursory search, it appears as though roundcube supports multiple identities per account, so I'm not sure why your hosting service is telling you it's not possible.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
I'm not familiar with either bluehost or roundcube but it looks like the former is a web hosting service and the latter is a web-based email front-end.

is bluehost hosting both your old and new domains? Are they also hosting your email server? If yes, there should be no reason they can't point the MX records for your new domain at your existing mail server, and configure the mail server to accept mail for the new domain. From a cursory search, it appears as though roundcube supports multiple identities per account, so I'm not sure why your hosting service is telling you it's not possible.
Bluehost is hosting both domains and the email server. I'll definitely ask them to do what you suggest. Roundcube is open source, and I've found multiple support threads (some alive for a decade) from people requesting Roundcube enable the functionality I want.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Im not a tech guy so forgive my ignorance, but can't gmail do this? Can't you have multiple domains coming into one inbox?
Old May 26, 2018, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Im not a tech guy so forgive my ignorance, but can't gmail do this? Can't you have multiple domains coming into one inbox?
Google's GSuite allows you to accept mail for multiple domains through a single account, and even allows you to reply to that mail with the "from:" and "reply-to:" addresses set to your account on that domain. It's not free, though.

Standard (free) GMail can be configured to act as a client to other email accounts and fetch messages in those accounts to your GMail inbox. You can reply to them from there, but I don't believe it offers the option to set the "from:" and "reply-to:" addresses to be from those domains.
RobCH likes this.

Last edited by Dodge DeBoulet; May 26, 2018 at 5:43 am
Old May 26, 2018, 5:38 am

... view emails to both accounts in a single inbox on a desktop PC. I'm using Roundcube via Bluehost. I'd like to keep all the old emails in this new, combined inbox
If you're not tied to using a Web browser, Apple Mail has a "unified inbox" on its Mac offerings.
On a PC (Windows 10), I'm a happy user of Mail Bird which also offers a unified mailbox.

Both of these "auto detect" mail settings for IMAP/Exchange which makes things pretty easy.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use OS X mail and have a unified inbox of more than a dozen addresses. Thunderbird also offers a viewing mode with a unified inbox, and it should work with any combination of POP3 and IMAP mail servers. I'm surprised it's not a standard feature on all modern email clients.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:37 pm

Easiest way is probably to just setup both email to forward everything to a gmail account and then set up filters in gmail to sort the mail based on which account it comes from.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
You could unify through a separate yahoo account, which comes with a free terabyte of storage.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:41 pm

Most standalone mail clients e.g. Thunderbird offer the opportunity to fetch from multiple accounts and (if you want) then reply from just one.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
Google's GSuite allows you to accept mail for multiple domains through a single account, and even allows you to reply to that mail with the "from:" and "reply-to:" addresses set to your account on that domain. It's not free, though.

Standard (free) GMail can be configured to act as a client to other email accounts and fetch messages in those accounts to your GMail inbox. You can reply to them from there, but I don't believe it offers the option to set the "from:" and "reply-to:" addresses to be from those domains.
Standard Gmail does let you set the From/Reply-To -- in "Settings"..."Accounts and Import" there is a "Send mail as" list. You just have to verify ownership of the target account, then whenever you send an email there is a dropdown to select what address it should come from (you can make it default to the main address or the one it came to when replying). The receiver should see from/reply to the alternate address, although the headers will show on inspection that it came from the main gmail account. Old versions of Outlook had a weird way of displaying these as "From <main_gmail_address> on behalf of <account_you_wanted>", but apparently everyone has fixed the issues with security/trust/etc and my work email's Outlook displays a test message from an alternate account properly now.

This works well for the style of unifying where you forward all of your alternate addresses to Gmail and manage it all from there, which is what I wanted because I didn't want to keep up with POP/IMAP settings/passwords for multiple servers. I don't think Standard Gmail is as useful for the other style where it fetches email periodically from other servers via POP/IMAP/etc (that part it can do) and uses the other server for outgoing mail also (that may require Gsuite or similar). The Android app can do that as a standalone client, but not the web version.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.