Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In Germany They Looked Stunned Each Time I Used Android Pay

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HeartFist
I can imagine someone being surprised when paying with your phone in Germany, but as someone had pointed out earlier, Apple Pay is not available in Germany (not sure about Android Pay). At least NFC terminals are becoming more and more common since most credit cards have contactless function by now.

On the other hand I did get a few surprised look here in the US already when paying with my German NFC credit card. The clerk will say "swipe or insert chip" when they see I have the card in hand and I just tap at the top and be ready to go.
Android Pay just became available in Germany within the last few weeks.

I think the American retail payment situation is crappy in two respects. First, almost no contactless cards, which really do make things go faster. Second, no rounding of cash transactions like the rest of the world. Canada, right next door to the US, has contactless cards and penny rounding for cash sales.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I think the American retail payment situation is crappy in two respects. First, almost no contactless cards, which really do make things go faster. Second, no rounding of cash transactions like the rest of the world. Canada, right next door to the US, has contactless cards and penny rounding for cash sales.
Honestly, I'm surprised that cards are as much of a thing here as they are. If things happened a bit differently I could totally see the US being mostly cash based (with talk of a cashless society being close to nonexistent).
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tmiw
Honestly, I'm surprised that cards are as much of a thing here as they are. If things happened a bit differently I could totally see the US being mostly cash based (with talk of a cashless society being close to nonexistent).
Seems the trend is the other way. There is a fast food chicken sandwich place down the street from my office (San Francisco) which does not take cash, and I have seen some other places in the Bay Area that do not take cash.

Although not the US, I noticed in Amsterdam that the Marqt supermarket chain does not take cash.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems the trend is the other way. There is a fast food chicken sandwich place down the street from my office (San Francisco) which does not take cash, and I have seen some other places in the Bay Area that do not take cash.

Although not the US, I noticed in Amsterdam that the Marqt supermarket chain does not take cash.
While there are a few merchants going cashless, I don't really see that as a trend yet. In fact, there seems to be a backlash brewing against it (to the point where laws are being considered to mandate cash acceptance). Not to mention that merchants in general seem to not be huge fans of Visa/MC judging by the multiple lawsuits over the years.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

While there are a few merchants going cashless, I don't really see that as a trend yet. In fact, there seems to be a backlash brewing against it (to the point where laws are being considered to mandate cash acceptance). Not to mention that merchants in general seem to not be huge fans of Visa/MC judging by the multiple lawsuits over the years.
In Canada the merchants are happy because a lot of the transactions are through Interac - a domestic debit card network. Interac - Home
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Canada the merchants are happy because a lot of the transactions are through Interac - a domestic debit card network. Interac - Home
That's the thing--a lot of other countries either have their own very low cost/free debit networks and/or heavily cap interchange. Neither are really a thing in the US; though interchange is capped for some debit cards, there are still a significant number that aren't (and customers still can mostly override merchant routing decisions and have their transactions run over Visa/MC instead).

IMO, if we really want to go cashless, interchange will have to drop. And we'll have to find some sort of solution for the high number of unbanked/underbanked people (relative to other Western countries).
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:54 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

There are a lot of places in the Netherlands that don't accept cash. My local Starbucks is one example

On the other had, lots of places only take Netherlands based debit cards - no Visa/Mastercard/Amex.

Fortunately, I've not yet hit the combination of both the above, which would be a bit awkward!
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
On the other had, lots of places only take Netherlands based debit cards - no Visa/Mastercard/Amex.
Not even maestro or vpay?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:37 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Marschel
Not even maestro or vpay?
Maybe - but they normally just tell me it's "Local debit cards only".
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Maybe - but they normally just tell me it's "Local debit cards only".
Dutch debit cards are Maestro; any Maestro card should work, but other networks' cards (debit MasterCard, CB, EC, etc.) won't. My Belgian Maestro card works at debit-only places across the border (and it's not a shared BE/NL system--Belgium has its own debit network called Bancontact). My German debit MC and my American Visa debit cards don't.

Don't get me started on places within 5 minutes of a border that take only debit cards unique to their own country. *shakes fist at EC-only German parking meters and Bancontact-only Belgian gas pumps*

That's the thing--a lot of other countries either have their own very low cost/free debit networks and/or heavily cap interchange. Neither are really a thing in the US; though interchange is capped for some debit cards, there are still a significant number that aren't (and customers still can mostly override merchant routing decisions and have their transactions run over Visa/MC instead).

IMO, if we really want to go cashless, interchange will have to drop. And we'll have to find some sort of solution for the high number of unbanked/underbanked people (relative to other Western countries).
The cap is 0.3% on (most) credit and 0.2% on debit in the EU, which makes the Dutch supermarkets' taking only debit seem pretty ridiculous at first glance, but the other effect of that is that credit card points and miles just aren't much of a thing over here... so a lot of people simply don't have them, and even people who do have them tend to use debit for everyday purchases like groceries and fuel.

The US could do it with a better separation of the credit/debit networks (so the average consumer could tell them apart, maybe?), but I don't see the US government capping credit interchange fees anytime soon.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
The US could do it with a better separation of the credit/debit networks (so the average consumer could tell them apart, maybe?), but I don't see the US government capping credit interchange fees anytime soon.
The government might not, but with surcharging and minimums becoming more of a thing I can see the networks reducing interchange on their own to try to prevent more merchants from imposing them. Of course, that reduction would probably not be nearly as much as it would have been with government intervention.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.