Reload this Page >

In Germany They Looked Stunned Each Time I Used Android Pay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In Germany They Looked Stunned Each Time I Used Android Pay

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Bumping this thread since Phone Pay is becoming a thing. Maybe Mods start a sticky about phone pay?
Android Pay mentioned up thread is now Google Pay

https://pay.google.com/about/

You can also send money, so they are looking to compete with Venmo

We have a bunch of EU travel coming up, including the UK. I signed us up for Apple Pay and Google Pay with my CSR as the card.
you can use Google Pay on the underground
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...ent/google-pay
You can use Apple Pay on the underground
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...ment/apple-pay
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boerne
Bumping this thread since Phone Pay is becoming a thing. Maybe Mods start a sticky about phone pay?

We have a bunch of EU travel coming up, including the UK. I signed us up for Apple Pay and Google Pay with my CSR as the card.
Before you get too excited about use on the London Underground, have a look at this thread, not all US issued cards will work even when used with Apple/Google Pay:

US Issued Contactless Card Does Not Work on London Underground

I had an interesting experience recently in Paris. We ate in a restaurant where it seemed that at least half the patrons were speaking English with North American accents. We paid with Google Pay - and the proprietor said it was the first time he had ever seen anyone pay with a phone. Kind of surprising given the prevalence of Americans in the restaurant.

Last edited by BigFlyer; Jun 3, 2018 at 2:13 pm
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I'm going to Singapore in a couple of weeks.

Supposedly a lot of contactless support in the city, though the MRT isn't taking contactless yet, other than a small pilot program.

There are supposedly ATMs now with contactless. I haven't put any ATM cards in Apple Pay because I rarely use ATMs at home, instead using credit cards whenever possible.

Anyone use contactless ATMs? So you don't need a PIN, just authorize with finger or whatever?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wco81
I'm going to Singapore in a couple of weeks.

Supposedly a lot of contactless support in the city, though the MRT isn't taking contactless yet, other than a small pilot program.

There are supposedly ATMs now with contactless. I haven't put any ATM cards in Apple Pay because I rarely use ATMs at home, instead using credit cards whenever possible.

Anyone use contactless ATMs? So you don't need a PIN, just authorize with finger or whatever?
Bank of America ATMs in the US (or at least in California) have contactless. They only accept Bank of America cards, and you still have to enter the PIN.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by boerne

See the following thread. It's not stickied but it does talk about contactless payment methods available to Americans (which for the most part is phone-based stuff like Google Pay):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...artphones.html

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Before you get too excited about use on the London Underground, have a look at this thread, not all US issued cards will work even when used with Apple/Google Pay:

US Issued Contactless Card Does Not Work on London Underground

I had an interesting experience recently in Paris. We ate in a restaurant where it seemed that at least half the patrons were speaking English with North American accents. We paid with Google Pay - and the proprietor said it was the first time he had ever seen anyone pay with a phone. Kind of surprising given the prevalence of Americans in the restaurant.
MC used to be the only network to consistently work for US-based cards on mobile devices until recently. These days, US issued Visa cards will most likely work on the Underground, albeit without any payment/journey history showing on their website. AmEx, on the other hand, still doesn't work with mobile devices (but will if you request a contactless card from them and tap that).

As for your experience, it's not surprising. I suspect contactless/mobile payment usage in the US hasn't gotten much better since that one report that claimed ~1%, hence why issuers like Chase seem to be pushing it harder now using stuff like extra rewards.

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Bank of America ATMs in the US (or at least in California) have contactless. They only accept Bank of America cards, and you still have to enter the PIN.
Wells Fargo and Chase too. It'd be nice if they worked with other banks' cards as well as not needing PIN for at least some transactions.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Just got back from Prague and Berlin and I used Google Pay (Pixel 2 XL) all over -- more in Prague than Berlin, surprisingly. I used it so much I had too many Kč when I left.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
The only place I've ever had a Google Pay failure was in Hamburg. I was going to tap for my museum entry ticket after spotting the contactless symbol but the moment I took out my phone the person behind the desk said "It won't work but you can try". Sure enough I got a red exclamation point on my screen - I'd never seen that before! I was going to try again at a supermarket but there were so many people behind me that I didn't want to be "that guy" holding up the queue so I paid with cash. I needed the change from a €50 note anyway. After that I became trigger shy and just used a physical card from then on. That is of course in places that accept cards!
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Well, looks like Germany is finally getting Google Pay for the locals - so the stunned looks may cease:

https://9to5google.com/2018/06/26/go...le-in-germany/
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
The Germans are still very much a CASH ONLY society. I admire them for it actually...cash is anonymous. In Germany it's not unusual to find many businesses that ONLY accept cash. I advise people going there to use cash as much as possible.
Sounds paranoid.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cstu11
Sounds paranoid.
Is it, though, when you've been through a massive hyperinflation crisis followed by one of the most totalitarian regimes in modern history? That kind of thing reverberates for quite a long time.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Has anyone been able to use Apple Pay with a Debit card at an ATM overseas?

I just got a replacement debit card for Schwab, which is tied to a checking account there -- all ATM fees are debited and no FTFs.

But the package talks about all the advantages of mobile payments so it's compatible with all of them and references security and so forth as advantages.

However, maybe it's more common to use a Platinum Visa Debit for POS with NFC, so you'd be using it like a credit card, rather than using ATMs to withdraw cash.

I know in Australia, they have ATMs with NFC but pretty sure ANZ bank doesn't support NFC authentication for foreign visitors, just their own clients with ANZ accounts.

Only reason I'd hesitate to add this to Apple Pay is that there are a limited number of cards supported per device and I'm like at half dozen. I don't use ATMs much except when I travel. In a given month, I might use it once or twice at home at most.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wco81
Has anyone been able to use Apple Pay with a Debit card at an ATM overseas?

I just got a replacement debit card for Schwab, which is tied to a checking account there -- all ATM fees are debited and no FTFs.

But the package talks about all the advantages of mobile payments so it's compatible with all of them and references security and so forth as advantages.

However, maybe it's more common to use a Platinum Visa Debit for POS with NFC, so you'd be using it like a credit card, rather than using ATMs to withdraw cash.

I know in Australia, they have ATMs with NFC but pretty sure ANZ bank doesn't support NFC authentication for foreign visitors, just their own clients with ANZ accounts.

Only reason I'd hesitate to add this to Apple Pay is that there are a limited number of cards supported per device and I'm like at half dozen. I don't use ATMs much except when I travel. In a given month, I might use it once or twice at home at most.
I can tell you that Bank of America, Wells Fargo and Chase in California allow use of Android/Apple Pay at their ATMs - however, each ATM only accepts cards from the bank that owns the ATM (e.g., the Chase ATM only accepts Chase cards through Apple?Android Pay.)
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I believe when I tried to use my B of A card via Samsung Pay at the ATM, it was rejected as the ATM saw the "Samsung" number not the actual B of A card number.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I believe when I tried to use my B of A card via Samsung Pay at the ATM, it was rejected as the ATM saw the "Samsung" number not the actual B of A card number.
That shouldn't matter as the first few digits presumably should match what they consider to be their own.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
When I tried to tap Samsung Pay, the B of A ATM was not happy at all! No Match.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.