In Germany They Looked Stunned Each Time I Used Android Pay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In Germany They Looked Stunned Each Time I Used Android Pay

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
It's not new, but it is unusual to see in use.... anywhere on the planet, really.
That’s a bit of an exaggeration. I use it frequently, but maybe I live on a different planet.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
I think Apple Pay is the cause for surprise. POS machines need to be specifically enabled or upgraded to be able to use Apple Pay, but it’s been around long enough for everyone to realise they they either do or don’t accept Apple Pay.

Android Pay is different as it actually emulates the contactless feature of the card rather than being an entirely different payment method, so Android Pay can be used wherever contactless payments are accepted. Therefore, you get a business owner/operator who is surprised when someone is paying with their phone when they didn’t sign up for a specific service.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Using Apple or Android Pay is inconvenient for the great majority of people. It's only really Americans who would use it as they don't have any satisfactory alternatives .
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've found that Apple Pay works 99% of the time that the contactless symbol is displayed on the terminal. (this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contac...ard_Symbol.svg)
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Using Apple or Android Pay is inconvenient for the great majority of people. It's only really Americans who would use it as they don't have any satisfactory alternatives .
I do see Apple Pay it frequently on the tube and it got me wondering what you do when your phone battery dies before exiting the system. You could exit using a contactless card but surely that would incur an incomplete journey fee on Apple Pay and the contactless card.

BTW Apple Pay and Google Pay can be useful in other circumstances as the limit is higher. The limit for contactless cards is quite low.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
The Germans are still very much a CASH ONLY society. I admire them for it actually...cash is anonymous. In Germany it's not unusual to find many businesses that ONLY accept cash. I advise people going there to use cash as much as possible.
Very much so.
Of all the "Western" countries I go to, Germany is the most likely not to take credit cards. Even €50 notes can be a problem.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:45 am

In NL, Vodafone offers their own "Vodafone Pay" which can be linked to any Visa/Mastercard or even to PayPal, as well as used with a virtual OV-chipkaart for public transport.
Also the major banks offers a wallet app which gives you a virtual debit card to use with your phone.

Even in ZA it is becoming more and more common...
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:25 am

Strange last sentence. When traveling I always make sure to have cash available when it is required. But as a traveler I will always use a credit card when possible for my own protection. Why should I use cash 'as much as possible'?

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
The Germans are still very much a CASH ONLY society. I admire them for it actually...cash is anonymous. In Germany it's not unusual to find many businesses that ONLY accept cash. I advise people going there to use cash as much as possible.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Ditto
Even in ZA it is becoming more and more common...
Zambia?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Zambia?
No, it's the ISO ALPHA 2 designation for South Africa - so, e.g., the top level domain for South Africa is .za.

Country Codes List - ISO ALPHA-2, ISO ALPHA-3 and Numerical Country Codes - Nations Online Project

I believe it comes from the Afrikaans Zuid Afrika.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Then there is Sweden, where I've been to coffee shops that didn't take cash at all. Was trying to burn up some SEK -- to no avail.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:55 am

My experience with German's and their love of cash comes mainly from mail order where for local buyers the norm is that the seller ships the item before payment is made and the courier collects the payment in cash at the point of delivery - no idea where the liability sits if bank notes turn out to be fake etc.

For international deliveries cards are accepted but in all three cases they've wanted photos of driving license etc emailed across before they'll accept the card.

Does anyone know how contactless works internationally in terms of limits? So UK limit is £30 but in Australia its $100 so circa £45. Does the UK or Australian limit apply when trying to use a UK card over in Aus? The UK limit was raised without reissuing cards and so I'd be surprised if the limits are hardcoded into the cards themselves but don't know if card machines hold all international limits to be able to apply them.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:26 am

BigFlyer, regarding the limits for contactless usage, at least with my cards, for VISA and MasterCard i can swipe for every amount, but for amounts larger than 25 Euro, i have to enter the PIN (without putting the card in the reader). For AmericanExpress, it's a bit different, here i have to put the card in the reader if the amount is over 25 Euro (even if i swiped first). Apparently with some card readers it also works now the same way as VISA or MC, but they have to have the latest firmware etc.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
When you say you have to enter a PIN above 40 CHF - does that mean you do the contactless wave followed by PIN entry WITHOUT inserting the card into the machine? Or do you have to insert the card into the machine for transactions above 40 CHF?
One can use tap for transactions of any size. It's just that with large transactions, one is requested to enter PIN.
The only difference then is not having to fumble sliding the card in the slot, or 'wearing' it down.

Originally Posted by Astaroth
My experience with German's and their love of cash comes mainly from mail order where for local buyers the norm is that the seller ships the item before payment is made and the courier collects the payment in cash at the point of delivery - no idea where the liability sits if bank notes turn out to be fake etc.

For international deliveries cards are accepted but in all three cases they've wanted photos of driving license etc emailed across before they'll accept the card.
Payment on the delivery (Nachname) is available, but it's not really a thing anymore. The fees are higher.
Common payment options are: credit card; immediate payment (sofortüberweisung) - which is a portal to your bank from the payment processor; and pre-payment (vorkasse).

With vorkasse one completes the check-out. Vendor sends invoice to buyer with payment details. Buyer initiates bank transfer, upon receipt of which, vendor ships out product.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Then there is Sweden, where I've been to coffee shops that didn't take cash at all. Was trying to burn up some SEK -- to no avail.
In Sweden, I encounter even McDonalds/BurgerKings, coffee shops, restaurants, grocery stores and hotels that don’t accept cash.

In Germany, I have never encountered a restaurant or hotel that refuses EUR cash payment for bill settlement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.