Wiki Posts
Search

Incredibly flat USB C charger Kickstarter

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Incredibly flat USB C charger Kickstarter

http://kck.st/2EWBH3n same guys who did the Mu UK folding plug and a few Mu USB chargers now are creating a 45W USB C charger -- still 14mm thick. These guys know I am an absolute sucker for everything thin, it's much easier to pack.

Hope this is not seen as spam, I regularly post interesting devices I see and buy and this Kickstarter is almost at the end and amply funded.
MareLuce likes this.

Last edited by chx1975; Mar 23, 2018 at 2:27 am
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Are these charges listed with an independent safety agency like UL or CE?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Are these charges listed with an independent safety agency like UL or CE?
FAQ has this:

Will the Mu One be certified?
Yes, the Mu One will be tested and certified to the relevant international safety standards.

Last updated: Tue, February 27 2018 3:07 PM CET
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rushnrockt
FAQ has this:

Will the Mu One be certified?
Yes, the Mu One will be tested and certified to the relevant international safety standards.

Last updated: Tue, February 27 2018 3:07 PM CET
Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by chx1975
http://kck.st/2EWBH3n same guys who did the Mu UK folding plug and a few Mu USB chargers now are creating a 45W USB C charger -- still 14mm thick. These guys know I am an absolute sucker for everything thin, it's much easier to pack.

Hope this is not seen as spam, I regularly post interesting devices I see and buy and this Kickstarter is almost at the end and amply funded.
Thanks for sharing! Very cool!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:33 am
Original Poster

It is here. The physical size is as promised, it is 5/9/15V @ 3A and 20V @ 2.25A max -- the lower voltage support is nice, I honestly only expected 20V in this size. However, there's no safety certificate but Made In Mind claims "TUV did our safety testing"

Last edited by chx1975; Nov 30, 2018 at 7:22 am
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:59 pm

Ravpower released a very similar unit without the switchable plugs. For those unfamiliar with them, I'd say they're a slight step below Anker quality and about the same as Aukey.
Amazon Amazon
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:54 am
Original Poster

The problem is Amazon. It's very sad but when you buy from Amazon you have no idea what are you buying because Amazon puts all the inventory for a given UPC code together -- if one seller decides to send fakes to the warehouse, all sellers will sell fakes. You can see this product is not sold by Amazon either -- it's by someone called "Sunvalley Brands" and it's merely fulfilled by Amazon. Right now this product has a single seller but you can't tell whether it had a fraudulent seller "poisoning" the stock yesterday. No, Amazon can't be trusted for chargers and most anything any more. Amazon Basics and other in house brands are protected -- if something is sold by Amazon and has no other sellers then and only then you might want to consider buying it there. Or, if you don't care about fakes.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:59 am

I think this is an unfair simplification of how the third party seller system works. Yes, there are issues with Amazon co-mingling stock but they can always be counted on to make things right if you feel cheated.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:44 am
Original Poster

If you discover a fake and for chargers you won't -- it's entirely possibly nominally it's the same wattage wise but it's a shittier construction. Admittedly, right now a charger like these which require GaN circuitry are not easily faked.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If it was a 60W two-port (so I could charge my phone at the same time), it would be an insta-buy.
bchandler02 and brp1264 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Oyb di bobe volt gehat reder, volt zi geven a vogn! ( If grandma had wheels, she would be a wagon. -- but it's better in Yiddish.)
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Amazon puts all the inventory for a given UPC code together -- if one seller decides to send fakes to the warehouse, all sellers will sell fakes.
Do you have confirmation of this? It certainly doesn't match my experience when buying from Amazon. Even when a product has potentially dozens of sellers, I've had cases where the product I bought was specifically labeled as being from the seller I bought it from.
smc333 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Here's Amazon itself explaining how it's done: https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/...rnal/200141480 and a semi-recent discussion on people receiving all sorts of fakes https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13926015
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Here's Amazon itself explaining how it's done: https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/...rnal/200141480
Interesting. That does also explain my experience - I just checked 2 products I've received like this recently, and both have what I presume are "Amazon barcodes" on them (ie, a different barcode covering the real product barcode) which seems to avoid this process.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a way to know in advance if a seller is using the "co-mingled" stock, or their own stock with custom barcodes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.