Using UK Blender in the US...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using UK Blender in the US...?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb Using UK Blender in the US...?

Hi,
I have a UK electric-system designed Blender (1200W, 220-240V, 50-60Hz) and I would like to use it in the US (120V, 60Hz).

1. What would happen if I just plug it in? Would it work? would it be damaged? (I'd really appreciate if you could help me get the basics physics of the issue here)
2. If (1) fails, What do I have to do to make it work properly here in the US?

Thanks!!!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:48 pm

1. It won't work..possibly at all... definitely very very poorly at best. Possible for the motor to suffer damage.
2. You'd need a TRANSFORMER.

It would likely be cheaper to buy a blender on arrival.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by shashax
I have a UK electric-system designed Blender (1200W, 220-240V, 50-60Hz) and I would like to use it in the US (120V, 60Hz).

1. What would happen if I just plug it in? Would it work? would it be damaged? (I'd really appreciate if you could help me get the basics physics of the issue here)
2. If (1) fails, What do I have to do to make it work properly here in the US?[/left]
It depends how sophisticated the device is. If it's just a simple engine with an on/off switch, it would still keep moving but more slowly as the voltage kept decreasing. But just half of the original rating might not be enough to make it move at all. Anything more complicated, i.e. with at least some electronics as is common now, is more likely not to work at all; however I'd say it's unlikely to suffer any damage.

If it doesn't work, you'd need a transformer, and not just any but a huge one for this power rating. It'll be at least 10 kg and while running, it'll make a buzzing sound and heat up. It's not really worth it to go this route unless the blender is very special and/or expensive, or you have other stuff you'd use the transformer with. Here's an idea what a suitable transformer looks like more or less:
Amazon Amazon
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:05 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Me thinks the subject is a bit outside of the Travel Technology board mission: Business travel includes cell phones, computers and more. Does that mean just digital cameras are allowed on regular travel? What works where, when and why not..
TWA884 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.