good search engine?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
"Fairbanks fat bike rental" returns
- Rented a Fatbike - Review of Beaver Sports, Fairbanks, AK
- "Rent a Bicycle and Explore Fairbanks"

Are you complaining that the subsequent hits are elsewhere? Perhaps it's because there are no others?

I tried "sjc limebike" and got nothing about ignoring terms. What I got was
-The San Jose Blog: LimeBike coming

And "Limebike in San Jose" returned many. many results

If you're looking for a search engine that will perfectly read you mind, rather then statistically guessing at what you want, I'm going to venture a guess that you won't find one.
Google seems to have changed its mind about the "sjc limebike" search query. The blog post was already there before my post (and I did read it), but wonder why all of a sudden it made its way up google's ranking.

And regarding reading my mind: I'm not asking it to read my mind. I'm just asking it to do something. Simple. And it doesn't do it anymore. It is like a machine designed to wash dishes, that now thinks it should tell me how I should cook instead (by "reading" my used plates).
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
What about Bing?
OP wrote, "Bing doesn't seem to be any better."

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Google seems to have changed its mind about the "sjc limebike" search query. The blog post was already there before my post (and I did read it), but wonder why all of a sudden it made its way up google's ranking.

And regarding reading my mind: I'm not asking it to read my mind. I'm just asking it to do something. Simple. And it doesn't do it anymore. It is like a machine designed to wash dishes, that now thinks it should tell me how I should cook instead (by "reading" my used plates).
It takes time for pages to be indexed. While major sites ensure that their pages are indexed immediately (as do people in the know-how), a smaller blog may not do so, so until it gets indexed, it won't show up. Further, the more that page gets hits, the higher it ranks. So as everyone reading this thread continues to Google the exact same phrases, and click that link, the more it'll enshrine itself as number 1 for now.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Wow, google is becoming more and more useless at finding anything specific.

Like I recall hearing a story of a Stanford surgery resident who was falling asleep on the job, because he was actually staying up late at night coding. He ended up working full-time for what ended up known as google.

But of course, if you try any combination of words you cannot find any relevant results on "google", whether or not it is an urban legend or a true story.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:39 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Wow, google is becoming more and more useless at finding anything specific.

Like I recall hearing a story of a Stanford surgery resident who was falling asleep on the job, because he was actually staying up late at night coding. He ended up working full-time for what ended up known as google.

But of course, if you try any combination of words you cannot find any relevant results on "google", whether or not it is an urban legend or a true story.
Google will have struggles return results for something that may not have happened...
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:47 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
A good number of posts have been removed, due to Omni-esque content, and a tone that was getting heated.

Members involved in the redacted postings are warned that further commentary in this thread with a similar orientation, may result in sanctions.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Google will have struggles return results for something that may not have happened...
So it was Jim Reese, who was a neurosurgery resident at Stanford and google employee # 18 or 19.

So why can't google find it?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:44 pm

Bing is good one, their image search is better than Google and things are really simple.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:16 pm

You can put a plus sign in front of a keyword to force it to appear in search results.
Unfortunately, this feature has been removed. For awhile putting a keyword or phrase in quotes replaced it. Now it seems to ignore both of these.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Ah, brilliant google.

I search for "citibank atm boston" and it pulls a map for me, with the locations of citibanks in Seattle. Very helpful. Just ignore the term "Boston" and presume I am in Seattle (I have no idea how it would get that idea)
KRSW and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Works just fine for me. As we used to say in my IT days, I suspect a PEBCAK error. Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard

HDQDD, joshwex90 and ajGoes like this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Works just fine for me. As we used to say in my IT days, I suspect a PEBCAK error. Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard

Nah. I don't have a screenshot, but what possible issue could I have? When you strike out all the impossibilities, then the very low probability events are true.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
https://duckduckgo.com/
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
It could be a short between the headphones.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Nah. I don't have a screenshot, but what possible issue could I have? When you strike out all the impossibilities, then the very low probability events are true.
Can you replicate the issue?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: RFC
There are plenty of newspaper articles stating Limebike has come to San Jose. It isn't hard to find.

Google has plenty to work with, it just doesn't do a good job. And the problem is now it is basically a monopoly so there is nobody else.
If you understood how complicated it is to create a search engine then you'd understand just how good Google is at it. Search isn't about them finding things. It's about finding it, parsing it, and contextualizing it for third party query. That's hugely complicated. That they can do it at all is impressive. That said, you need to allow google to track your searches and activity and learn how to phrase things so it can generate more accurately.

If you don't like the idea of tracking then try something like duckduckgo.com.
ajGoes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.