FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Small USB-C splitter/dongle for headphones and power? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1894900-small-usb-c-splitter-dongle-headphones-power.html)

Lurker1999 Feb 20, 2018 10:45 am

Small USB-C splitter/dongle for headphones and power?

Are there any good small solutions for being able to charge a phone without a 3.5mm headphone jack while allowing one to plug in a standard set of 3.5mm headphones? All of the dongles I've seen are about the size of a matchbook or just provide two USB-C ports.

ross123 Feb 20, 2018 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Lurker1999 (Post 29438588)
Are there any good small solutions for being able to charge a phone without a 3.5mm headphone jack while allowing one to plug in a standard set of 3.5mm headphones? All of the dongles I've seen are about the size of a matchbook or just provide two USB-C ports.

I looked around at a few as well for my iPhone 7 (although there are other phones that have the same concern these days). One thing to be really careful of is many have the 3.5" jack and the type c port but don't allow for the microphone. As an example

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-iPhone-...kAAOSw~HBaKmwT

(I don't know this one but its an example). You'll notice they never mention phone calls - because its ends up being audio only. I gave up and went wireless.

paperwastage Feb 20, 2018 3:47 pm

Does your phone support audio-passthru on usb-c or not?

if not, then the dongle has to have a DAC (converts digital signal to analog sound, along with the necessary logic board to split the usb c port)

mauve Feb 20, 2018 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by ross123 (Post 29438768)
I looked around at a few as well for my iPhone 7 (although there are other phones that have the same concern these days). One thing to be really careful of is many have the 3.5" jack and the type c port but don't allow for the microphone. As an example

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-iPhone-...kAAOSw~HBaKmwT

(I don't know this one but its an example). You'll notice they never mention phone calls - because its ends up being audio only. I gave up and went wireless.

The splitters on eBay pretty much suck. As far as I can tell, there’s only one product that will do what you want: the Belkin Rockstar available with two lightning ports or one lightning and one headphone port. It’s not cheap, but the microphone and remote controls both work.

Lurker1999 Feb 21, 2018 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 29439718)
Does your phone support audio-passthru on usb-c or not?

if not, then the dongle has to have a DAC (converts digital signal to analog sound, along with the necessary logic board to split the usb c port)

That's something I didn't even know to check but apparently the Pixel 2 only does digital pass-through, not analog.

So apparently I will have to hope my Pixel XL lasts for several more years until this entire technology is better developed and I can find a reasonable way to have charging and a corded headset without turning the phone into a mess of wires.

paperwastage Feb 21, 2018 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Lurker1999 (Post 29444419)
That's something I didn't even know to check but apparently the Pixel 2 only does digital pass-through, not analog.

So apparently I will have to hope my Pixel XL lasts for several more years until this entire technology is better developed and I can find a reasonable way to have charging and a corded headset without turning the phone into a mess of wires.

Come on, solution provided by the industry is obvious

​​​​​​Bluetooth headphones. You have to charge two devices, and hopefully your Bluetooth device is also usb c(otherwise you'll need another cable, or dongle converter)

​​​​​​
(Sarcasm, if you can't tell)

KRSW Feb 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 29444921)
Come on, solution provided by the industry is obvious
​​​​​​Bluetooth headphones. You have to charge two devices, and hopefully your Bluetooth device is also usb c(otherwise you'll need another cable, or dongle converter)​​​​​​
(Sarcasm, if you can't tell)

You're right, the solution is obvious -- don't buy phones which lack 3.5mm jacks.

There's no provision in the USB specs for analog audio, so any device which does this either has an outboard DAC (which will use more power than something built-in) or some kludge/hack of the USB standard. I'm with you -- Bluetooth headphones, at least from a travel perspective, suck. Now it's an extra device I need to worry about charging and sound quality's not the best.

paperwastage Feb 22, 2018 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW (Post 29447509)
You're right, the solution is obvious -- don't buy phones which lack 3.5mm jacks.

There's no provision in the USB specs for analog audio, so any device which does this either has an outboard DAC (which will use more power than something built-in) or some kludge/hack of the USB standard. I'm with you -- Bluetooth headphones, at least from a travel perspective, suck. Now it's an extra device I need to worry about charging and sound quality's not the best.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/10719...specifications

usb type c has standard for passive/analog passthru?

I do have to charge two devices (phone with 3.5mm plug + Bose QC20), but the benefits(NC) are worth it.

If QC20 runs out of battery, it still works as a passive earbud (with lower quality). I can charge and use the NC at the same time

KRSW Feb 23, 2018 8:47 am

@paperwastage: I stand corrected! The last time I looked at the USB-C spec there was no mention of audio and the focus was on power delivery. Interesting.

paperwastage Feb 23, 2018 9:02 am

Originally Posted by KRSW (Post 29450136)
@paperwastage: I stand corrected! The last time I looked at the USB-C spec there was no mention of audio and the focus was on power delivery. Interesting.

Looks like the phone manufacturers need to look at that page too (since very few phones implement passivre/analog type c )