Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Verizon is starting to SIM-lock all phones, will Google let them lock Pixel phones?

Verizon is starting to SIM-lock all phones, will Google let them lock Pixel phones?

Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA

since Verizon is starting to SIM-lock all phones(including Apple iPhones and all Samsung Galaxy phones), will Google let them lock Pixel phones as well?

I know Verizon says the phones will be unlocked as soon as the phone is activated by the customer, but starting later in the year, Verizon will require the phones to be active on a Verizon postpaid account for a number of months before customers are allowed to unlock them. (which is just like what AT&T and other carriers have always done)
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:33 am

I wouldn't count it out

at&t was allowed to lock their version of Nexus 6

https://forums.att.com/t5/Android/ATT-MOTOROLA-NEXUS-6-SIM-UNLOCK-DEVICE-NO-LONGER-SUPPORTED/td-p/5216337

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/help/att-n6-sim-locked-t3074220
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:40 am
Original Poster

holy cow... I didn't know about that. I now know what Captain Renault felt... nothing really surprised or shocked him.

Since Google likes to imitate Apple, I guess it won't be that surprising if Verizon is allowed to SIM-lock the pixel phones. Let's see what Apple and Google have in common: both lack headphone jacks, both lack MicroSD card slots, both overcharge for higher storage capacity and until recently, both were the only high-end phones that had non-removable batteries....
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by geometry
since Verizon is starting to SIM-lock all phones(including Apple iPhones and all Samsung Galaxy phones), will Google let them lock Pixel phones as well?

I know Verizon says the phones will be unlocked as soon as the phone is activated by the customer, but starting later in the year, Verizon will require the phones to be active on a Verizon postpaid account for a number of months before customers are allowed to unlock them. (which is just like what AT&T and other carriers have always done)
I thought part of their agreement with the FCC to acquire some spectrum was that they could not lock handsets?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kb9522

I thought part of their agreement with the FCC to acquire some spectrum was that they could not lock handsets?
who runs the FCC now? oh, yeah, a former Verizon employee... although the other FCC commissioners who are Obama appointees also want to give Verizon a waiver this... it's good to have a ton of money to spend on lobbyists in DC.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Verizon is just tightening the noose around reseller scum that regularly defraud retailers like Best Buy and Target. It instantly unlocks for anyone with a valid VZW account and SIM so no legit buyer would even notice. If anything, this is cutting out the thieves and reseller parasites out of the loop. And nothing too earth-shattering either if you think of this as a creative re-interpretation of license terms...

I would speculate this is aimed at the iPhone US retailer flex activation policy, where reseller scum typically buy large amounts of iPhones from Best Buy, Costco, Sam's, Target, etc. and use a VZW SIM to trick the phone into unlocking and they go off on their merry way scamming people for near MSRP prices, financed/blacklisted or otherwise.

The other source of butthurt is of course entitled T-Mobile subscribers, because T-Mobile is cheap as .... and won't let any retailer make money off them (Costco seems to be an exception at times) so their customers never get any national retailer promos. Instead they go around signing up for ATT/Sprint/VZW service for a new phone and then cancelling/unlocking after the fact.

If anyone really wanted an unlocked phone they can easily buy direct from Apple/Google/what have you but of course that means paying MSRP (or even when there's promo w/ some freebie), and of course no one is honest enough to do that...
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by msp3
Verizon is just tightening the noose around reseller scum that regularly defraud retailers like Best Buy and Target. It instantly unlocks for anyone with a valid VZW account and SIM so no legit buyer would even notice. If anything, this is cutting out the thieves and reseller parasites out of the loop. And nothing too earth-shattering either if you think of this as a creative re-interpretation of license terms...

I would speculate this is aimed at the iPhone US retailer flex activation policy, where reseller scum typically buy large amounts of iPhones from Best Buy, Costco, Sam's, Target, etc. and use a VZW SIM to trick the phone into unlocking and they go off on their merry way scamming people for near MSRP prices, financed/blacklisted or otherwise.

The other source of butthurt is of course entitled T-Mobile subscribers, because T-Mobile is cheap as .... and won't let any retailer make money off them (Costco seems to be an exception at times) so their customers never get any national retailer promos. Instead they go around signing up for ATT/Sprint/VZW service for a new phone and then cancelling/unlocking after the fact.

If anyone really wanted an unlocked phone they can easily buy direct from Apple/Google/what have you but of course that means paying MSRP (or even when there's promo w/ some freebie), and of course no one is honest enough to do that...
ELI5, please.

How could a thief or scam artist rip off Best Buy? I assume it starts by going into the store and buying a whole bunch of phones at a promotional price but I'm not sure how it actually works after that.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
ELI5, please.

How could a thief or scam artist rip off Best Buy? I assume it starts by going into the store and buying a whole bunch of phones at a promotional price but I'm not sure how it actually works after that.
Typically, some reseller will open multiple lines/accounts and buy as many phones as they can, and as new phone purchases are all on credit now they can use stolen SSNs, fake IDs, or even recruit idiots on Craigslist to ruin their credit after they’ve done it under their own credit. They then default on their loan for the phone (resulting in blacklisted phones) but by then they’ve probably already sold plenty and scammed the buyers of “unlocked” “new” phones on fleaBay. An alternative is to enroll each phone under insurance and claim it’s stolen after the sale which also blacklists the phone. Even blacklists are not impossible to get off now as carrier employees are at times recruited into cell phone unlock rings to illicitly remove blacklisting/unlock for any other carrier. Access to these unlocks are then chopped up and sold on a per incident basis on fleaBay through “distributors”, these are the “unlockers” the end consumer interacts with.

Then there are people who actually rob cell phone shipments. This has been occurring from time to time and makes the news when it’s really big...
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by msp3

Typically, some reseller will open multiple lines/accounts and buy as many phones as they can, and as new phone purchases are all on credit now they can use stolen SSNs, fake IDs, or even recruit idiots on Craigslist to ruin their credit after they’ve done it under their own credit. They then default on their loan for the phone (resulting in blacklisted phones) but by then they’ve probably already sold plenty and scammed the buyers of “unlocked” “new” phones on fleaBay. An alternative is to enroll each phone under insurance and claim it’s stolen after the sale which also blacklists the phone. Even blacklists are not impossible to get off now as carrier employees are at times recruited into cell phone unlock rings to illicitly remove blacklisting/unlock for any other carrier. Access to these unlocks are then chopped up and sold on a per incident basis on fleaBay through “distributors”, these are the “unlockers” the end consumer interacts with.

Then there are people who actually rob cell phone shipments. This has been occurring from time to time and makes the news when it’s really big...
What's to stop them from doing it with a locked phone which uses a monthly installment plan? I don't understand how locking the SIM to a carrier "tightens the noose" around these people.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:15 pm

A carrier locked phone is much harder to sell. Carriers in a particular country have their own blacklists, and usually share nationwide blacklists. It's always YMMV if the blacklist can be circumvented (at an inconvenience and extra cost to the reseller), but if you export the phone out of the US you're home free. If the phone has no carrier subsidy lock (as is the case with all Verizon phones right now) there's nothing holding back the reseller from cashing in.

If you look at the most anti-consumer, ....-tier MVNOs like Tracfone, they are by far the most hostile to subsidy unlocking as their phones are usually bought up en mass by resellers and exported back to Mexico somewhat ironically because their phones are heavily subsidized in the US to lure people in.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:51 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
What's to stop them from doing it with a locked phone which uses a monthly installment plan? I don't understand how locking the SIM to a carrier "tightens the noose" around these people.
Basically Verizon wants a cut of the stolen goods so that the people who buy the stolen phones can only sign up to Verizon.

I've been buying Verizon iPhones outright on release day for the past few years since I can just pop in any sim after activating and getting the 'congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked' message. Sure apple sells "SIM-free" unlocked iPhones, but they usually don't release those until a couple of weeks after the initial launch. I really hope that this new sim-locking policy is only applied to phones purchased on installment plans.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
If the goal is to stop theft, why would the plan under which the phone is sold make a difference? I doubt phones are tagged for a sales channel when shipped in bulk to stores.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:28 pm

The only shade actor in this crap is Verizon Wireless.

T-Mo phones ship SIM-locked, but as long as the phone is substantially paid for they'll unlock it.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:01 pm

Officially approved today: https://www.pcmag.com/news/369245/ve...es-for-60-days
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:05 pm

So does this apply only to phones purchased from Verizon, or if I buy a new unlocked phone from the Apple Store and drop in a Verizon SIM, will it end up locked?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.