Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Interesting Verizon FIOS Datapoint, Top 30 Channels Viewed

Old Jan 30, 18, 11:24 am
Original Poster

I just got off a call with Verizon FIOS customer service (I supposed, actually, the customer retention department) regarding my too-high monthly Verizon FIOS bill. Call was pleasant enough and I got what I wanted - with a minor change in the channel lineup. Further to the change in the channel lineup decision, during the call, the rep said that he had a record in front of him of the top 30 channels that I had viewed and that only two of my top 30 channels would drop out of my "new" channel lineup package. Not an issue for me and I went with the new package. But, in this day and age of data collection, etc., I found it interesting that they had that info so easily at their fingertips. As a bit of privacy-concerned person, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they know EXACTLY what I've watched, DVR'ed, etc., etc. and just about every bit and byte of data flowing through my internet connection. But, just an observation of what "they" (at least Verizon) has available to front line CS reps at any given time. In this day and age of "should I cut the cord" or not, I guess its helpful to have this info available, possibly.
Old Jan 30, 18, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I don't think it's too surprising that the company you are paying to provide you a service has data on your use of their service. I would have assumed they had it.

I'm not clear on what the "privacy" issues are as it's data you are voluntarily giving them through buying and consuming what they are selling.
Old Jan 30, 18, 1:47 pm

I imagine there are consents to this kind of data collection buried in the terms you agree to when you sign up for the service. Otherwise it might run afoul of the VPPA, at least if they use the info for anything other than customer service purposes.

https://epic.org/privacy/vppa/
Old Jan 31, 18, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
I don't think it's too surprising that the company you are paying to provide you a service has data on your use of their service. I would have assumed they had it.

I'm not clear on what the "privacy" issues are as it's data you are voluntarily giving them through buying and consuming what they are selling.
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa View Post
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they know EXACTLY what I've watched, DVR'ed, etc., etc. and just about every bit and byte of data flowing through my internet connection. But, just an observation of what "they" (at least Verizon) [have] available ....
Never said it was an issue. Just interesting. Indeed, it wasn't an issue, but helpful to me in making my decision based on what the representative was telling me.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: