Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best data options for travel in Japan/Bali/Hong Kong

Old Jan 7, 18, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat

Family will be traveling to Tokyo (5 nights); Kyoto (3 nights); Bali (7 nights); Hong Kong (4 nights). Three weeks in total with flying. Four of us have unlocked iPhones. I'm trying to figure out the best options for data use. Primarily we want to be able to text each other (we often split up 2x2 in a museum or whatever) and to use GPS and occasional googling while out exploring. I am not willing to pay $10/day for AT&T international plan, esp for my teens to be reading Reddit and getting thousands of groups text alerts. Would likely need about 2GB/phone for three weeks. I actually have no idea on that b/c not sure how much we'd use on hotel wifi vs out.

Is there any overall solution? Or are we looking at a SIM in each country? If so, recommendations for airport purchase (or pre-trip/US delivery purchase) much appreciated.
Old Jan 7, 18, 10:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
Japan: https://docomo.prepaid-sim.jp/lp/index.html
Old Jan 11, 18, 12:20 am

Too bad HK is not first on your itinerary... at the street markets in Sham Shui Po they resell Thai travel SIMs that cover all your countries for about 80 HKD. Just outstanding value. You might be able to find them online. They are originally marketed by AIS and True and have a stated face value of 399 THB.

I'll be in HK soon. If your travel is in February or later, PM me.
Old Jan 11, 18, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by YYZC2 View Post
Too bad HK is not first on your itinerary... at the street markets in Sham Shui Po they resell Thai travel SIMs that cover all your countries for about 80 HKD. Just outstanding value. You might be able to find them online. They are originally marketed by AIS and True and have a stated face value of 399 THB.

I'll be in HK soon. If your travel is in February or later, PM me.
YES. That is exactly what I need. Found it online: AIS SIM2FLY. They are about $15 US for 8 days. I’d need to figure out if I can extend the expiry or I’m going to look for one with longer plan. If I can’t find it, I’ll hit you up. Our trip isn’t till July.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jan 11, 18 at 8:33 am
Old Jan 12, 18, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis View Post

YES. That is exactly what I need. Found it online: AIS SIM2FLY. They are about $15 US for 8 days. Iíd need to figure out if I can extend the expiry or Iím going to look for one with longer plan. If I canít find it, Iíll hit you up. Our trip isnít till July.
Yes, that is the precise product I have used. Absolutely seamless across borders, no speed throttling. The SIM packages do have instructions for a credit card-based reload in them, but I have never used it. Let me know.
Old Jan 12, 18, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Yes, that is the precise product I have used. Absolutely seamless across borders, no speed throttling. The SIM packages do have instructions for a credit card-based reload in them, but I have never used it. Let me know.
Brilliant! Thanks for this tip. Itís exactly what I need.
Old Jan 12, 18, 6:17 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
For SIM around Asia, region or country specific I Find Klook.com have most of what youwill need. The savings for me of MTRing to SSP is not worth it.
Old Jan 31, 18, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
For SIM around Asia, region or country specific I Find Klook.com have most of what youwill need. The savings for me of MTRing to SSP is not worth it.
Just had a friend mention a start-up named Birdie Wireless out of HK:

https://www.birdie.com.hk/birdiehome/en/

Looks like they are taking the Thai telecoms' multi-country concept and adapting it to a wider, self-serve online refill model. I'm going to try it when I'm in HK next week. I'll also be in MY/SG/ID/JP/US/FR so I'll give it a workout. I've never seen a HK reseller with such a wide scope on one card before.

It's available on klook.com.
Old Feb 1, 18, 5:06 am

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

Looks like they are taking the Thai telecoms' multi-country concept and adapting it to a wider, self-serve online refill model. I'm going to try it when I'm in HK next week. I'll also be in MY/SG/ID/JP/US/FR so I'll give it a workout. I've never seen a HK reseller with such a wide scope on one card before.

Birdie has been around for w while. It is a possible one card solution if you can live with the terms and pricing.
Fine print:
Fair usage is 500MB/300MB (depending on area) daily at 4G speed, afterwards 128kb.
You can buy another day to restore the speed back to 4G.
Old Feb 1, 18, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
Birdie has been around for w while. It is a possible one card solution if you can live with the terms and pricing.
Fine print:
Fair usage is 500MB/300MB (depending on area) daily at 4G speed, afterwards 128kb.
You can buy another day to restore the speed back to 4G.
It looks like this is only available for HK delivery. We will be in HK last. Any source for USA or Japan delivery?
Old Feb 2, 18, 7:51 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis View Post

YES. That is exactly what I need. Found it online: AIS SIM2FLY. They are about $15 US for 8 days. I’d need to figure out if I can extend the expiry or I’m going to look for one with longer plan. If I can’t find it, I’ll hit you up. Our trip isn’t till July.
I use SIM2FLY all the time when I go to Asia and Europe.... it's takes like 3 weeks to ship to Canada and they're all shipped from Hong Kong. I get the data sim only, so can't Text or make phone calls, but you can always use VoIP and Whatsapp (maybe iMessage, but I'm not an iphone user, so not sure)
Old Feb 2, 18, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a US based T-Mobile account and they give a slowish connection in many countries for free. That’s all I use for my cellphone in Asia, if I’m not on hotel free wifi.
Old Feb 3, 18, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
I have a US based T-Mobile account and they give a slowish connection in many countries for free. Thatís all I use for my cellphone in Asia, if Iím not on hotel free wifi.
Yes, T Mobile is well known for this. I don't want to have to change our family's entire carrier over to T Mobile, which doesn't work in the small patch of city block that we live on.
Old Feb 3, 18, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GateGuardian View Post
I use SIM2FLY all the time when I go to Asia and Europe.... it's takes like 3 weeks to ship to Canada and they're all shipped from Hong Kong. I get the data sim only, so can't Text or make phone calls, but you can always use VoIP and Whatsapp (maybe iMessage, but I'm not an iphone user, so not sure)
Thanks for the info. We all have iphones so I believe can use iMessage. Also can do Whatsapp if we want to call (or Google hangouts or facetime). Just FYI, not sure if you have similar Amazon Prime benefits in Canada, but in the US, I can buy a SIM2FLY on Amazon and it gets to me in 3 days. Maybe check it out.
Old Feb 3, 18, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Question for those using SIM2FLY, which come in 4-day increments. If I've got an 8-day card but want to get 9 days out of it, what are my options?

1. Skip a day in middle of trip where I'll be flying for most of it. Can I turn off roaming before midnight and back on 25 hours later to resume?
2. Add one day at end of trip? If so is this complicated? How much $ would an extra day cost?

What if I want to add another 8 days? Do I buy 2 sims or do I just add days? Which is more economical?

Answered my own question: http://help.mobiletopup.com/knowledg...p-sim2fly-sim/

Looks like about $9 to add another 8 days, $3 to add 2 days. http://help.mobiletopup.com/knowledg...p-sim2fly-sim/

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Feb 3, 18 at 9:36 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: