Best data options for travel in Japan/Bali/Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by YYZC2
Just had a friend mention a start-up named Birdie Wireless out of HK:

https://www.birdie.com.hk/birdiehome/en/

Looks like they are taking the Thai telecoms' multi-country concept and adapting it to a wider, self-serve online refill model. I'm going to try it when I'm in HK next week. I'll also be in MY/SG/ID/JP/US/FR so I'll give it a workout. I've never seen a HK reseller with such a wide scope on one card before.

It's available on klook.com.
If you're in SG, take a look at Starhub's happy prepaid. Works most everywhere in Asia + US + UK + AUS with domestic SG rates. A few bucks /GB and the card is initially valid for 180 days (every time you load more money, the valifity extends by 180 days) I've used such for 5 months now in CN, TW, TH, MY, SG. Also voice is included.

Happy Roam Data Roaming Service | StarHub Mobile
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Too bad HK is not first on your itinerary... at the street markets in Sham Shui Po they resell Thai travel SIMs that cover all your countries for about 80 HKD. Just outstanding value. You might be able to find them online. They are originally marketed by AIS and True and have a stated face value of 399 THB.

I'll be in HK soon. If your travel is in February or later, PM me.
Can you provide some details about the Thai Travel SIMs? What do I get for about HK$80?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just had a friend mention a start-up named Birdie Wireless out of HK:

https://www.birdie.com.hk/birdiehome/en/

Looks like they are taking the Thai telecoms' multi-country concept and adapting it to a wider, self-serve online refill model. I'm going to try it when I'm in HK next week. I'll also be in MY/SG/ID/JP/US/FR so I'll give it a workout. I've never seen a HK reseller with such a wide scope on one card before.

It's available on klook.com.
Will the SIM card ever expired? This way I can buy it and use it in HK for a 2 week trip this year and then next year and so on.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
If you're in SG, take a look at Starhub's happy prepaid. Works most everywhere in Asia + US + UK + AUS with domestic SG rates. A few bucks /GB and the card is initially valid for 180 days (every time you load more money, the valifity extends by 180 days) I've used such for 5 months now in CN, TW, TH, MY, SG. Also voice is included.

Happy Roam Data Roaming Service StarHub Mobile
This sounds like a very good option too. So let's say I buy a 30 day 3.6GB package. I'm assuming this card will expire 180 days after I initially load the card with credit. If I add credit to extend the validity of the card, will the credit be used at all? After my trip is done, I wouldn't mind topping it with a little bit of credit (what's the minimum?) just to keep the card active so that I can travel again to Asia in the future and have an active card as soon as I land at the airport.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:54 am

Anyone have suggestions on a reputable site or amazon retailer to buy an AIS SIM2FLY? Reply or PM me. TIA

Going to be doing Japan -> Thailand -> Australia -> Singapore over about 3 weeks so this seems like a good option to go with, just topping off for another 8 days for $9. Assuming that it will work once I arrive in Japan without any issues. Is it possible to use the SIM card in Thailand? Or would we have to go about buying a separate one to use there instead?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond+ Lifetime, JL Diamond
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger

Happy Roam Data Roaming Service | StarHub Mobile
The short answer is yes, the card expires after 180 days but whenever you top up with SGD $20 or more, you get another 180 days. So in practice, it's very easy to keep the Starhub card active. There are no monthly deductions from your balance so no need to worry about credit being deducted. The one catch with Starhub is you probably need to visit Singapore to get one, but like I said, it's easy to keep it active by topping up on the mobile app or web site using a credit card from abroad.

Just a bit of background, I have postpaid mobile service in 5 counties and was looking for a way to simplify my life when I got the "Happy" prepaid SIM. It's worked well in all the countries I've visited so far (Indo, SG, HK, South Korea, Japan, US, Malaysia), so at some point this year I'll start dropping my postpaid services as the contracts expire.

Also, as a point of reference, I have T-Mobile postpaid service and it's so slow outside the US and Mexico that I find it unusable.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:42 am

Sorry, that reply was meant for Isquare!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
I use gigsky SIM. Never expires and it works in all of Asia. No topping up in each country.

It also works in other parts of the world (Europe, the Americas).

This is my personal link. I get a reference credit. If you do not want to do that, just create an account normally.
I got my SIM from Amazon.

https://goo.gl/lgv4Pa
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sixpaq
The short answer is yes, the card expires after 180 days but whenever you top up with SGD $20 or more, you get another 180 days. So in practice, it's very easy to keep the Starhub card active. There are no monthly deductions from your balance so no need to worry about credit being deducted. The one catch with Starhub is you probably need to visit Singapore to get one, but like I said, it's easy to keep it active by topping up on the mobile app or web site using a credit card from abroad.

Just a bit of background, I have postpaid mobile service in 5 counties and was looking for a way to simplify my life when I got the "Happy" prepaid SIM. It's worked well in all the countries I've visited so far (Indo, SG, HK, South Korea, Japan, US, Malaysia), so at some point this year I'll start dropping my postpaid services as the contracts expire.

Also, as a point of reference, I have T-Mobile postpaid service and it's so slow outside the US and Mexico that I find it unusable.
Thanks for the comment. I just got a Pixel 2 XL so that I can use with Project Fi. I'm debating between getting a Starhub SIM and using Project Fi. Have you considered using Project Fi? You're right, it's a challenge that I have to be in Singapore, but I actually am planning to go there either later this year or early next year. Is there a reason why I have to be in Singapore to get the simcard? No way to buy one online?
Old May 16, 2018, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Thanks for the comment. I just got a Pixel 2 XL so that I can use with Project Fi. I'm debating between getting a Starhub SIM and using Project Fi. Have you considered using Project Fi? You're right, it's a challenge that I have to be in Singapore, but I actually am planning to go there either later this year or early next year. Is there a reason why I have to be in Singapore to get the simcard? No way to buy one online?
I thought about Project Fi but I'm too tied to my dual SIM phone to switch to a Pixel.

Just to add to my earlier thoughts on Starhub Happy, I recently tried the Birdie travel SIM in both China (HKD 20/day) and Japan (HKD 12/day) with pretty good results. It's got better international coverage than the Starhub SIM if you're looking for per-day data passes.

Regarding buying Starhub SIMs, you need to show ID to purchase them so yes, you need to be in Singapore.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Yes, that is the precise product I have used. Absolutely seamless across borders, no speed throttling. The SIM packages do have instructions for a credit card-based reload in them, but I have never used it. Let me know.
Wondering if you can answer a question for me. My sims arrived the instructions inside say "Important! Register "prepaid SIM User" first in order to activate your SIM card: bring your SIM2Fly and passport" and then lists various airports and AIS shop. I'm assuming this isn't necessary, but why is that in there?

Originally Posted by reverted
Anyone have suggestions on a reputable site or amazon retailer to buy an AIS SIM2FLY? Reply or PM me. TIA

Going to be doing Japan -> Thailand -> Australia -> Singapore over about 3 weeks so this seems like a good option to go with, just topping off for another 8 days for $9. Assuming that it will work once I arrive in Japan without any issues. Is it possible to use the SIM card in Thailand? Or would we have to go about buying a separate one to use there instead?
I ordered them from a seller on eBay (sunshineyes) and they came in about 2 weeks. I haven't used them yet, so can't speak to "reputable seller" but the expiration is 4/2019 and the transaction seemed to go well. It's this sim: The ready-to-use SIM2Fly SIM Roaming

I actually ended up ordering multiple sim cards b/c going to be in Asia for 3 weeks. I know I can top up but was concerned that it would become too complicated (esp for teens). The other plus is that now, if one doesn't work, I have few backups. Since we'll be using iMessage attached to our Apple accounts, we should be able to seamlessly text each other even when trading out sims.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:26 pm

In my experience the SIMs were usable "out of the box", with no initialization or registration required.
Old May 18, 2018, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
In my experience the SIMs were usable "out of the box", with no initialization or registration required.
Great. Thanks. Meanwhile, seller emailed me back and said the same thing. Good to have user confirmation though!
Old May 22, 2018, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

I'm trying to figure out how to text via data and a changing SIM card (SIM2FLY). I realize this is a tech issue and it's probably obvious, but I'm stumped. I've got iMessage for texting with my family (who also all have iMessage and iPhones). And I have WhatsApp, but isn't that tied to the SIM #? I'll need to be able to contact drivers, etc.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I'm trying to figure out how to text via data and a changing SIM card (SIM2FLY). I realize this is a tech issue and it's probably obvious, but I'm stumped. I've got iMessage for texting with my family (who also all have iMessage and iPhones). And I have WhatsApp, but isn't that tied to the SIM #? I'll need to be able to contact drivers, etc.
Your WhatsApp will continue to work. The app only confirms the account via SMS when the app is installed. I swap SIMs all the time and WhatsApp is seamless throughout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.