OpenWRT, USB powered, dual band multi RJ45 travel router

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nkedel
Direct from vendor : GL-AR750 Travel AC Router and GL-AR750S-Ext
also available via Amazon (and updated 750S model with external antenna)

Looking for something smaller? See the World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms thread
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage

It's not small enough to put into the smallest router thread but https://store.gl-inet.com/collection...avel-ac-router this is finally here. It's quite awesome specs wise, a bit larger than those nano routers but at the same time, it has an MicroSD slot and an USB port and three RJ45. Two would be perfect but oh well. Available on various Amazons, even the Canadian one and the price is about the same as the factory price converted to CAD
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Neat! Do we know if it can pull in one wireless network and output its own wireless network?

One issue I'd had with OpenWRT on a Hootoo Nano was that it wouldn't transmit its "private" wifi network if it didn't already have an internet connection, so I would have to plug it into a computer and set it up afresh every time. Do we know if this one suffers from the same issue?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:13 am
Original Poster

We will know once it arrives because (obviously?) I ordered one

OpenWRT can work as a repeater on any hardware but if that's what I wanted, I would probably use that USB port to attach a long range Alpha to pick up any ...... wifi network and use the router's radio for my laptop / phone / etc
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Neat! Do we know if it can pull in one wireless network and output its own wireless network?
On the grounds that it'll use the same software as their existing models, yes, it will. Full WISP functionality.

They had a lot of issues trying to add 5Ghz to their smaller models (heat issues leading to stability issues), which I presume is the main reason they went with a larger form factor - but I'm still going to hold off buying until I see some reports around stability.

But in general they are a good product. I've been using a GL-AR300M for over a year and had no issues with it at all.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:33 pm

This review on Amazon agrees with @docbert that is does in fact have WISP and works quite well.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert
They had a lot of issues trying to add 5Ghz to their smaller models (heat issues leading to stability issues)
Yeah, the AR300MD is now said to be a discontinued beta product, I was sad to miss it but this is really promising, and yes, I hope it'll be stable. How should I test it for stability? It'll arrive within a month according to Amazon.ca.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:54 pm

One issue I'd had with OpenWRT on a Hootoo Nano was that it wouldn't transmit its "private" wifi network if it didn't already have an internet connection, so I would have to plug it into a computer and set it up afresh every time. Do we know if this one suffers from the same issue?
That issue was related to some chipset limitations in WISP mode with the single radio and the workaround was to run a startup script that turned off the wireless uplink interface every power on. Or buy a USB wifi dongle but that increased the power consumption.

This one should be interesting though I should resist buying one since I have so many travel routers already

Added: And it needs a separate power source since USB isn't enough

Last edited by unmesh; Jan 5, 2018 at 6:01 pm
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:30 pm

It does work off a 2A USB charger & does WISP. It has an option to remember the wifi network it was connected to and you can access the router's admin via wifi/eth without it being connected to an external Wi-Fi/WAN. I bought one around the end of November. I haven't left mine on for multiple days, though, so can't vouch for stability.

Also important: They are responsive to the support e-mail. For some reason, mine needs the side switch away from the dot to enable 5G connection requests. The 5G channel would be visible in the device wifi options but my devices couldn't join. Could be that I accidentally poked a setting to program the switch but Alfie was prompt about answering my support request. Those of you who have travel routers know how difficult it can be to get knowledgeable support, security patches, and firmware updates.

@gfunkdave- Gl.net also has a USB stick version without ethernet port if you don't need 5G or eth. https://www.gl-inet.com/usb150/ I might get this for when I travel without a laptop to save some space. My new android phablet does support USB-C ethernet dongle and USB-C to A hub so I can mount an SD card reader & small hard drive for backing up photos.

Last edited by freecia; Jan 6, 2018 at 2:45 pm
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by chx1975
We will know once it arrives because (obviously?) I ordered one
Hey chx1975, as per my other post I would be interested in getting one too. How are you finding the device (and what do you use it for)?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

estimated delivery date is: Friday, January 26 -Friday, February 16

I will get back to you
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

I found it a very capable little router, the default GUI is primitive but you can just slap luci on it and go to town But yes, even this primitive UI supports WISP. I had problems with using two of the three RJ45 plugs; if you check the manual https://www.gl-inet.com/wordpress/wp...171106_web.pdf they also show using only one and the icons are different. But, I have total confidence it'll go away the moment I spent more than ten minutes with it -- it does have LEDE installed on it, the rest is between easy and trivial. I expect to edit this post through the weekend.
tentseller likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: ALL
Thanks for the heads up ! I just ordered one to replace my home-build solution based on a Raspberry Pi... I would have preferred if it was made by ubiquiti but they don't seem to be willing to offer a travel router for advanced users...
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Opsie, I completely forgot. Will get back to it this week.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: ALL
Got mine this morning. The advanced mode is really a geek's dream :-) It is much smaller than I had expected. I did some basic WISP tests at home with Ubiquiti AP's. Worked great.

I have to throw my OVPN file at it and try that out next.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
I'm having issues using this thing with WISP mode and public wifi hotspots where you need to go to a portal page and accept terms. I can't figure out how to have it redirect to the portal page. Anyone else have any sucess?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.