OpenWRT, USB powered, dual band multi RJ45 travel router

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nkedel
Direct from vendor : GL-AR750 Travel AC Router and GL-AR750S-Ext
also available via Amazon (and updated 750S model with external antenna)

Looking for something smaller? See the World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms thread
Print Wikipost

OpenWRT, USB powered, dual band multi RJ45 travel router

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IslesFan
I'm having issues using this thing with WISP mode and public wifi hotspots where you need to go to a portal page and accept terms. I can't figure out how to have it redirect to the portal page. Anyone else have any sucess?
Should be exactly the same process as if you weren't using the router - just go to any website on your computer and it will redirect you.

There is one possible thing that can break this. My GL-AR300M has DNS "rebind" protection turned on by default. This is a feature that stops an internet DNS server returning an "internal" address (ie, rfc1918 - 10.x.x.x, etc) - which is occasionally what these portals use. To turn it off you'll need to go into advanced settings, find the option for rebind protection, and turn it off.

The other option is to login to the portal using your computer, and then clone your MAC address onto the router - at which point it'll think it's already logged in. This has side effects and I wouldn't recommend it as other than a last resort.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It should "just work". Did you change any default settings?

I'm using a GL Inet AR300m (the little brother of the router in this thread) and it works great. It's been my hotel wifi these last few days.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
It should "just work". Did you change any default settings?

I'm using a GL Inet AR300m (the little brother of the router in this thread) and it works great. It's been my hotel wifi these last few days.
The only thing I played with was the rebind protection, no dice both on or off. I tried this in a starbucks in NYC, trying to use both the Starbucks wifi and the LinkNYC hotspot right outside.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
The only thing I played with was the rebind protection, no dice both on or off. I tried this in a starbucks in NYC, trying to use both the Starbucks wifi and the LinkNYC hotspot right outside.
At a different Starbucks now(with rebind protection off), but the ssid is also "Google Starbucks". Connected to the Starbucks wifi, on the reboot reconnected to my router, and the Starbucks login page popped up. No idea what's different.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: ALL
I'm having issues using this thing with WISP mode and public wifi hotspots where you need to go to a portal page and accept terms. I can't figure out how to have it redirect to the portal page. Anyone else have any sucess?
It's actually very easy with this router : Connect to the public wifi hotspot using your phone/PC. Then connect to your router's - You will be given the option to clone the MAC address from your PC and your router will be logged in already.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:26 pm

If you are using VPN and this router, update the firmware. The last release gives you the option to use the hardware switch at the bottom to assign specific features such as enabling/disabling the VPN.
Old May 8, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by martin_paris
It's actually very easy with this router : Connect to the public wifi hotspot using your phone/PC. Then connect to your router's - You will be given the option to clone the MAC address from your PC and your router will be logged in already.
I find this works no better than 50% of the time, often after cloning the MAC of the device you logged-in with it just gets caught in an endless redirect cycle.

It definitely doesn't work with Meraki hosted networks and whatever Radisson is using.
freecia likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Error 601
I find this works no better than 50% of the time, often after cloning the MAC of the device you logged-in with it just gets caught in an endless redirect cycle.

It definitely doesn't work with Meraki hosted networks and whatever Radisson is using.
strange, I never faced that issue before. I use the MAC cloning feature only if I'm unable to connect trough the AP in the first place. Guess I must have been lucky.
Old May 16, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I bought one of these based on the FT recommendation. I like that it's OpenWRT-based, and you're right about the support forum- the company is fairly responsive. You can't really brick it (I'd tried flashing the testing firmware for the -S model "just because", and ended up killing it, but a simple re-flash from the failsafe mode, then Lede restore (of my saved personal config) and I was back to normal).

There's a few bugs in the UI, and the VPN is fairly slow (no more than ~9Mbit/sec thruput and 70% CPU utilization using AES-128-CBC, but maybe an optimized AES library can fix that), but otherwise it seems to be a pretty decent travel router, especially for technically-aware users.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:13 pm

Oh- forgot to add- the current AR750 VPN implementation (FW v. 2.27) has a bug where it won't update the DNS resolver to that of the one pushed from your VPN server, so your DNS leaks (and/or may not resolve addresses if the original DNS servers from the DHCP connection can't be reached from the public internet).

There's a fix here (that's somewhat explained here) that you'll need some proficiency with Linux and the command line to fix, until they fix this (probably in the next release). But it's an easy-enough fix if you really need it, and once done stays in place.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:57 pm

Just a notice for everyone : I started to notice some bad contact on the power supply during my last trip. Opened it once back to realize that the used micro-usb connector isn't the best you would choose. While there are through-holes on the PCB, the connector himself doesn't have the pins. As such it ended up breaking and ripping the tracks apart. I tried to power it using the 3.3 VCC / GND connector on the serial bus but that can most probably only be used for flashing. So I'm back looking for a new travel router. Don't know if the new GL-AR750S-Ext has a better input connector nor is worth the additional 20 USD.

Amazon Amazon
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:58 pm

::bump:: Any new thoughts/updates from anyone on these routers? My TP-Link got put into hurricane-recovery service in 2017 and 2018 and I had to leave it behind as they were still using it. I have a HooToo which is decent, but never been thrilled with it. Has anyone here used the Mango or other GL.Inet routers?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:00 pm

FWIW, I love all my GL-iNet devices; there's one for every size and capability requirement.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:21 pm

Could you elaborate on the ones you have? Their website isn't exactly great about the differences between the various routers they offer.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:42 am

I have several: a "Slate" (GL-750S) that I use in hotel rooms, a memory-stick-sized USB-150 that I use to NAT the Wifi on planes (connected to a small round external charger) and a AR-300M that I keep in my laptop bag as a just-in-case if I need to run repeater mode or fan out an Ethernet connection (i.e., at client offices).

If you need more info let me know, but performance-wise they're pretty much all equivalent, varying mostly in form factor and external connections.
KRSW likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.