Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for travel cord organizer?

Suggestions for travel cord organizer?

Old Dec 30, 17, 11:53 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Calgary, AB
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Ambassador, AC SE100k, Accor Platinum
Posts: 300
Suggestions for travel cord organizer?

Happy New Year everyone.

Would like to ask the group if they have any suggestions for a solid travel cord organizer. I've been using an old zip pouch from a decades old (and gone) Targus rolling laptop case. Its somewhat lumpy and somewhat does the job, but considering the amount I travel, I'd like to find something better. All cables are held together with velcro straps, and I've purposefully chosen shorter cables where it makes sense. I'd like to have something that is relatively flat instead of bulky as it'd sit against my MBP in a different compartment of my backpack or carrying case.

Here's what I currently carry accessory-wise:
- Apple 87w brick
- Apple 29w brick
- 6ft USB-C cable
- 2ft USB-C to Lightening cable
- USB-C HDMI dongle
- USB-C SVGA dongle
- USB-C to USB-A USB nub/dongle
- 10000mAh power bank
- 6ft USB-A cable
- USB-C Flash Drive
- RSA Token
- Apple Airpods
- Apple Watch Charge cable

Any suggestions? Thanks everyone.
Cerberus is offline  
Old Dec 30, 17, 12:13 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: CX, DL, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Posts: 447
I gave up looking for a solution a few years ago and just use 2 or 3 zip-loc bags in different sizes (larger one for the laptop brick) along with the velcro straps. Allows you to flatten it to whatever space requirement you have and you can quickly see what's in the bag. It honestly works great for me.
eyeballer is offline  
Old Dec 30, 17, 1:04 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 420
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Happy New Year everyone.

Would like to ask the group if they have any suggestions for a solid travel cord organizer. I've been using an old zip pouch from a decades old (and gone) Targus rolling laptop case. Its somewhat lumpy and somewhat does the job, but considering the amount I travel, I'd like to find something better. All cables are held together with velcro straps, and I've purposefully chosen shorter cables where it makes sense. I'd like to have something that is relatively flat instead of bulky as it'd sit against my MBP in a different compartment of my backpack or carrying case.

Here's what I currently carry accessory-wise:
- Apple 87w brick
- Apple 29w brick
- 6ft USB-C cable
- 2ft USB-C to Lightening cable
- USB-C HDMI dongle
- USB-C SVGA dongle
- USB-C to USB-A USB nub/dongle
- 10000mAh power bank
- 6ft USB-A cable
- USB-C Flash Drive
- RSA Token
- Apple Airpods
- Apple Watch Charge cable

Any suggestions? Thanks everyone.

I carry a combo of apple cables and adaptors not too dissimilar to yours. I use https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Elas.../dp/B01IEMZCC6 one of these for cables and a couple of airline solid "amenity" boxes for deconstucted chargers, mifi, dongles etc. http://cms.ukintpress.com/UserFiles/formia(2).jpg
tinkicker is offline  
Old Dec 30, 17, 1:42 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Calgary, AB
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Ambassador, AC SE100k, Accor Platinum
Posts: 300
Originally Posted by eyeballer View Post
I gave up looking for a solution a few years ago and just use 2 or 3 zip-loc bags in different sizes (larger one for the laptop brick) along with the velcro straps. Allows you to flatten it to whatever space requirement you have and you can quickly see what's in the bag. It honestly works great for me.
I know the feeling, I've been looking for quite a while now. Gives me something to hunt for in luggage stores and what not sometimes I suppose.

My wife bought me a set of those Grid It (3x, large, medium, small) which are really quite nice and work extremely well. I love how organized it looks and stays together. The big negative factor on why I don't use them is simply weight. Without anything, those things are pretty heavy!
Cerberus is offline  
Old Dec 30, 17, 1:43 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Calgary, AB
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Ambassador, AC SE100k, Accor Platinum
Posts: 300
Originally Posted by tinkicker View Post
I carry a combo of apple cables and adaptors not too dissimilar to yours. I use https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Elas.../dp/B01IEMZCC6 one of these for cables and a couple of airline solid "amenity" boxes for deconstucted chargers, mifi, dongles etc. http://cms.ukintpress.com/UserFiles/formia(2).jpg
Thanks -- what you have is exactly what those Grid It devices I have already. Too bad about the weight
Cerberus is offline  
Old Dec 30, 17, 6:40 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: CX, DL, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Posts: 447
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
I know the feeling, I've been looking for quite a while now. Gives me something to hunt for in luggage stores and what not sometimes I suppose.

My wife bought me a set of those Grid It (3x, large, medium, small) which are really quite nice and work extremely well. I love how organized it looks and stays together. The big negative factor on why I don't use them is simply weight. Without anything, those things are pretty heavy!
Yep, looked a few versions of those.. but I prefer to have them in a protective/sealed bag just in case they end up next to a water bottle or something.
eyeballer is offline  
Old Jan 1, 18, 7:22 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA
Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Posts: 3,071
Not sure if this works for you, but I've found that coiling them in a circle and velcro-ing the tips (sort of like a donut) works better than a figure-8 style loop with a velcro in the center. It's flatter and less bulky.
OskiBear is offline  
Old Jan 2, 18, 9:18 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,282
I had the grid-it when they came out and thought it was a great idea.
When I started using them it was this one is too big and this one is too small.
I am back to coiling the wire and velcro or twist tieing them like OskiBear.
I was told by some professional roadies as this prolongs the life of the wires and I found my wires last longer now than others who tie it figure8 style or just tossing them in the bags. I also have a habit of putting the caps back on my VGA and HDMI cables.

I carry wires in this:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have two, one for travel and inflight (USB, 3.5, BT Transmitter, USB charger, AC-US, AC-UK), the other I take my presentation cables (HDMI, VGA 3.5-XLR) and presenter remote with spare batteries. Computer power bricks go in recycled amenity box/pouch.
Hoever the height might be an issue for some.

Junior use this, it is flat.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
tentseller is offline  
Old Jan 2, 18, 6:29 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ontario, Canada
Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,289
Take a look at the cable management bags from Thinktank:
https://www.thinktankphoto.com//coll...ble-management

The thing I really like about these cases is that they have a transparent window on the front, so that you can see what is inside. Comes in handy when you have several of these bags.

I have two PowerHouse Pros, Cable Management 10, Cable Management 20, and Cable Management 30 bags for the crazy amount of cables and small devices I carry for my work. I divide things up by function, pick which bags I need for the occasion. You can buy these bags at a decent camera store. I have one of their briefcases as well. Solid craftsmanship, very versatile!

Also check out this handy accessory:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...arger-with-eas
I'm one of the early backers. Looking forward to getting mine, I hate the tangled mess of cords with my MacBook Pro AC adapter.

Last edited by Arthurrs; Jan 2, 18 at 6:37 pm
Arthurrs is offline  
Old Jan 2, 18, 8:47 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,937
I use a soft sided hanging toiletry kit, small makeup bag with dividers, or silnylon pouch with a few snack bags depending on how much electronic gear I want to carry (esp the international adapters). Something with see-through internal compartments like this Monarch Ultralite Travel Bag works decently to separate dongles, coiled cords, and small bits. Larger bricks could go in the middle and longer cords could be looped to sit along the edge outside the bricks.

I put a small plastic bag over the end of my Apple Watch 0.3m cable to keep it from getting scuffed up by other cables.

A slim hanging toiletry kit or something from the ultralight backpacking crafters will probably be lighter than most gadget organizers. I've moved to silnylon for a lot of reusable non-food bags & pouches as they slide very nicely against each other which makes it really easy to tetris and pull things out when needed. I have some from Eagle Creek Specter (silnylon)/Specter Tech (ripstop nylon), Montbell U.L., and Granite Gear ZipDitty (water resistant zippers which are harder to open). Tom Bihn and a few ultralight backing manufacturers also use Dyneema. I don't have a lot of cuben fiber accessories, mostly due to cost & less slippery but the clear versions are more see through. Google "ultralight silnylon pouch" for more options.

Last edited by freecia; Jan 2, 18 at 9:42 pm
freecia is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 8:46 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Calgary, AB
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Ambassador, AC SE100k, Accor Platinum
Posts: 300
Thanks for the suggestions!

I appreciate the comment about coiling instead of gathering into a figure 8 to extend the lifetime of the cables. I continually wonder how long before I have to replace my Type C cable for the MBP to plug.
Cerberus is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 8:52 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Calgary, AB
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Ambassador, AC SE100k, Accor Platinum
Posts: 300
Originally Posted by Arthurrs View Post
Also check out this handy accessory:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...arger-with-eas
I'm one of the early backers. Looking forward to getting mine, I hate the tangled mess of cords with my MacBook Pro AC adapter.
This is very cool. It's really too bad that it only works when you use the extension cord with the block. I rarely carry it since I don't need the distance or the ground.
Cerberus is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 11:26 pm
  #13  
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Upcountry Maui, HI
Posts: 12,502

I got these from Tom Bihn but everybody makes them now.

The older United amenity kits worked almost as well as a free substitute. (though not see through mesh like these.)
LIH Prem is offline  
Old Jan 4, 18, 10:04 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kitchener, ON, Canada
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 1,240
I commandeered a cosmetic bag from my wife. At least it's not pink. It's fantastic...
Boogie711 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 18, 10:05 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kitchener, ON, Canada
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 1,240
It folds up nicely.


Boogie711 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: