iOS 11.2 for iPhone SE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iOS 11.2 for iPhone SE?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: Lifetime Silver Marriott Bonvoy
Meh. I've had my SE since July and I keep it updated w/o issues. Signal to noise.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Update — Need solution to a new problem

I upgraded my SE and am now on 11.2.1

So far so good except for one annoying change that I cannot find a way of eliminating:

To unlock my screen, pressing the home button no longer works with my touch screen gloves. Prior to 11.2.1, I would press the home button and then input my password with gloves on. I was also able to use my finger print too — it gave me a choice to unlock! Now 11.2.1 wants my fingerprint on the home button only to unlock the screen and that's annoying when it's cold outside. I've lost too many gloves this way which is why I now wear touchscreen gloves.

I went to google to find a solution. It suggested I change the auto-lock to 1-5 minutes or NEVER. I want "never". These were the instructions: Settings —> Display & Brightness —> Auto-Lock —> Never.

It doesn't work. My screen still locks after a minute or two even though "Auto-Lock" shows NEVER. How do I stop it from locking? When I want to switch radio stations, I now have to take off a glove to unlock.

Maybe I'm doing the wrong thing to control screen locking

Please tell me how I can get rid of this headache on the SE. Thanks.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I had this problem with iOS 10. I think there may be a way to revert to the previous behavior by selecting an option in the Accessibility menu.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diburning
I had this problem with iOS 10. I think there may be a way to revert to the previous behavior by selecting an option in the Accessibility menu.
I had no issue with wearing my touchscreen gloves and pressing the home button on 10.3.3. When I depressed the home button, I got the passcode screen. Now on iOS 11.2 I can't get that screen.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Analise
I had no issue with wearing my touchscreen gloves and pressing the home button on 10.3.3. When I depressed the home button, I got the passcode screen. Now on iOS 11.2 I can't get that screen.
Did you power off the phone and then turn it on again? I just tried what you stated the problem was and it worked on my 7 plus. I will try on my wife’s SE later today. Anyway, restarting the phone fixes things just like restarting a computer often does.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer

Did you power off the phone and then turn it on again? I just tried what you stated the problem was and it worked on my 7 plus. I will try on my wife’s SE later today. Anyway, restarting the phone fixes things just like restarting a computer often does.
I tried it on my SE. If you use the wrong finger, or any finger really other than the one that is used for TouchID, it will take you to just the home screen. If you use something that has has "heat" it will bring up the passcode since it isn't able to authenticate the TouchID.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by WIRunner
I tried it on my SE. If you use the wrong finger, or any finger really other than the one that is used for TouchID, it will take you to just the home screen. If you use something that has has "heat" it will bring up the passcode since it isn't able to authenticate the TouchID.
Just updated the SE and using the wrong finger twice does bring up the passcode. You're right, I think, about the heat because it doesn't work with gloves on. Same with the 7 plus. If it's supposed to, it didn't when I tried.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:32 am
Original Poster

I powered it off yesterday. Nothing changed. This 11.2.1 update eliminated my ability to use touchscreen gloves to unlock the screen.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
You should always wait at least two weeks before updating. No point in being Apple's beta tester. Far too many reports over the years of problems with premature updates. There's no hurry as long as your phone is working fine.
I'm with you unless there's a major hole being patched. OS updates often force a lot of other updates and sometimes it breaks legacy software that might be important and not have any update available. Generally I won't use the first release of any major OS update, and like to stay a little behind unless there are major security patches. High Sierra was released *with* a major security hole.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisl137
High Sierra was released *with* a major security hole.
I read about that which is why I have delayed upgrading to High Sierra
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And back to the iPhone question - my work SE is on 11.1.2 (it looks like they pushed it, because I kept declining updates and then it went and did it one day) and behaving ok. I'm avoiding 11.2.x until they push it or something later as well.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
I think it's about time luddites finally put to bed the conspiracy/speculation that iOS updates are slowing down your phone intentionally/unintentionally (respectively), it's the software reducing power consumption on your phone to conserve battery life as the battery ages and holds less with the goal of stopping your phone from shutting off altogether (like when it gets too hot or too cold for the iPhone to operate in) that's really causing it.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/20...raded-battery/
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

I find it really annoying that this new release removes my ability to use the home button to unlock the screen when I wear touch screen gloves. If I press the home button for a few seconds, the Apple Pay screen appears but not the screen that allows me to enter the code to unlock the screen. I don't understand this!
Old Dec 20, 2017, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
I find it really annoying that this new release removes my ability to use the home button to unlock the screen when I wear touch screen gloves. If I press the home button for a few seconds, the Apple Pay screen appears but not the screen that allows me to enter the code to unlock the screen. I don't understand this!
If I press the home button with my thumbnail so the fingerprint doesn't register, it prompts me to enter my passcode. *shrug*
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
If I press the home button with my thumbnail so the fingerprint doesn't register, it prompts me to enter my passcode. *shrug*
When I press the home button with one of my knuckles from any of my fingers, I am prompted for my passcode. Why does that work?? Shrug indeed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.