Reload this Page >

Google Fi abroad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Fi abroad?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Pookynubbers
I would if it were they allowed iPhones. ;-)
You could use the Project Fi SIM on an unlocked iPhone (I do) if the SIM has already been activated on a Project Fi approved unassigned phone. On an iPhone you don't get the automatic switch between CDMA (Sprint) and GSM (T-Mobile) depending upon which signal is stronger. I have two Project Fi numbers, each activated on separate Google phones, and then the SIM of one of the phones is used in the unlocked iPhone as my SO's primary phone as she prefers the iPhone to the Nexus 6P and prefers FaceTime over other similar apps.

You can also get any number of free Data Only SIMs to use in tablets and other devices that accept SIMs. The Data Only SIM shares the data of the primary number it is connected to.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle
You could use the Project Fi SIM on an unlocked iPhone (I do) if the SIM has already been activated on a Project Fi approved unassigned phone. On an iPhone you don't get the automatic switch between CDMA (Sprint) to GSM (T-Mobile) depending upon which signal is stronger. I have two Project Fi numbers, each activated on separate Google phones, and then the SIM of one of the phones is used in the unlocked iPhone as my SO's primary phone as she prefers the iPhone to the Nexus 6P and prefers FaceTime over other similar apps.

You can also get any number of Data Only SIMs to use in tablets and other devices that accept SIMs.

ive read up on using it in an iPhone. I think I would actually do that activating it on an approved device first. On the data only sim - is that the same plan cost as voice/data plans on Fi?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The Data Only sim has no additional "line" charge. It feeds off the same Data the fi Phone uses at the $10/GB rate. For example someone had 1 phone that used 0.65 GB during a billing cycle and one tablet with the data only sim that used another 1.1 GB it would be $20+ $10/GB (1.75) = $40 with $2.50 credited to the following billing cycle for the unused portion of the 2 GBs of purchased data.

ive read up on using it in an iPhone. I think I would actually do that activating it on an approved device first. On the data only sim - is that the same plan cost as voice/data plans on Fi?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, United Silver
Had a trip to HK, Shenzhen/Guangzhou, and Macau where I would only be in each place a day or two. I had just upgraded my previous phone to a Pixel 2 and decided to try out Fi during the trip with a new number, while keeping my AT&T SIM in the phone with my regular number.

International coverage during the trip was great - no need to get a local SIM in 3 different countries. In HK and Macau roaming coverage was through Three with mostly HSPA+ signal, and in the mainland through China Unicom with LTE signal. Certainly more cost-effective than AT&T's $10/day pass to use your domestic plan abroad, or their roaming packages for $60/300MB.

Within the US I've found the coverage to be OK but not as great as AT&T. At ORD the phone decided that roaming on Verizon 3G (via the US Cellular network) was the best option... Cost-wise, if you are not open to using Fi as your main carrier YMMV depending on how often you roam and how much data you need while abroad. As other posters have mentioned, theoretically you can pause service up to 3 months at a time so would be equivalent to paying $80/year for having the option to use Fi.

All things considered, I am seriously considering making the switch permanently and moving my number over from AT&T.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:07 pm

On a recent trip to Japan and South Korea, Fi worked well. In SK, it switched between the local carriers but had consistent speed/coverage. However in Japan, some devices defaulted to Docomo while others preferred Softbank. The devices on Softbank had better performance while the ones on the former seemed to stutter. Forcing the devices to Softbank resolved the issues.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:19 pm

Two tings to add.

You can suspend the FI service for months at a time and pay nothing.

With the Pixel 2, you can use Fi with an esim - you essentially download a virtual SIM to the phone. You can put a real SIM in the SIM slot, and swith back and forth in settings.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I switched to a Pixel 2 to take advantage of Fi, coming from an iPhone. I'm still getting used to Android but I have to say I'm impressed so far. There are niggles but these are mostly just muscle memory trying to do things the iPhone way rather than the Android way.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmonkey05
I switched to Fi about a year an a half ago and it's been a life saver for travelling. I've saved so much money overseas! And it's nice to know I don't have to panic about finding wifi everywhere I go. Some remote areas don't have fast coverage, but there's usually at least a little bit. I also have a data only sim for my iPhone and it works like a charm.

So for the data only SIM - does that mean I can just use that SIM while I'm traveling - meaning I don't need a reoccuring monthly charge?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The Data Only Sim is only useable when the primary service is active.

So for the data only SIM - does that mean I can just use that SIM while I'm traveling - meaning I don't need a reoccuring monthly charge?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The concept looks really attractive especially if I can trick it into working on my factory unlocked Iphone 7+ - but at $10/GB that is really pricey! Right now I pay $40/mo for ATT Prepaid including 6GB in the US/Canada/Mexico and unlimited calls/texts in/to/between the US/Canada/Mexico. While I would love to keep one SIM to use when in Japan and Taiwan, I'm not going to pay an extra $30 a month for the convenience.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The concept looks really attractive especially if I can trick it into working on my factory unlocked Iphone 7+ - but at $10/GB that is really pricey! Right now I pay $40/mo for ATT Prepaid including 6GB in the US/Canada/Mexico and unlimited calls/texts in/to/between the US/Canada/Mexico. While I would love to keep one SIM to use when in Japan and Taiwan, I'm not going to pay an extra $30 a month for the convenience.
i actually just switched from att to T-Mobile. - I was leery prior because of my impression that they had weaker coverage. I’m good locally though and I assume that most of my travel will continue to be in larger cities so no worries there. But the fact that they also have unlimited data in many countries overseas is very appealing its capped at 128kbps which is obviously fairly slow (ok really slow) but you can double the speed for an extra $15 a month (turn off/on as needed) and there are plenty other reSons that made me switch compared to the att offerings and plan that I was on. I still may end up buying local sims in certain countries - never done that before so I’ll learn next week.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I thought it was pricy also, till I looked at my actual data usage.

95% of my domestic life is spent on wifi. On average I use less than 2GB domestic. Internationally is where I really need full speed LTE, and there $10/GB is actually not a bad deal at all.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by LordHamster
I thought it was pricy also, till I looked at my actual data usage.

95% of my domestic life is spent on wifi. On average I use less than 2GB domestic. Internationally is where I really need full speed LTE, and there $10/GB is actually not a bad deal at all.
It is actually quite pricey in many places in Asia. For Taiwan, you can get a super-expensive unlimited high-speed (faster than most US home internet connections) for $30 for a month (tourist sim). In Japan I just used a wifi hotspot (cause data-only has no benefit over that). And in other parts of Asia obviously it would be even cheaper.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I switched to a Pixel 2 to take advantage of Fi, coming from an iPhone. I'm still getting used to Android but I have to say I'm impressed so far. There are niggles but these are mostly just muscle memory trying to do things the iPhone way rather than the Android way.
I'd love to see your list of issues if you have time. Maybe a different thread? I'm a computer engineer by training and we as a group tend towards Android rather than the caged garden (prison) that is iOS. I'm curious what issues you have had.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I'd love to see your list of issues if you have time. Maybe a different thread? I'm a computer engineer by training and we as a group tend towards Android rather than the caged garden (prison) that is iOS. I'm curious what issues you have had.
I am platform agnostic, but tend toward android. I have a work paid phone on Sprint and a personal Moto X4 on project Fi. The Moto X4 has been really great for international travel and "affordable" as an option. Before the X4 was released I was on a Nexus 6. So in my travels to Russia, several northern european countries including Iceland, Spain, and Portugal, Fi data was MUCH better than T mobile (ipad mini data sim), or my Sprint phone LG V20 with "international" data. To quote Apple, it just works. The only glitch I had was in Copenhagen. I have done the "run around and buy a local sim" thing, and I am glad I am past that. I will ultimately give up the Sprint work phone and probably the T mo, but unless something dramatic happens, I will keep the Fi. And I got a great number that I dont want to give up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.