Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Moving my Tmobile iPad sim to my Thinkpad? Will this work?

Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:45 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

I have one of the T-mobile sims in my iPad from the old deal that gives 100 free mb/month.

I have a WWAN card in my laptop which currently has an AT&T sim and I'm paying an extra $10/month to have that WWAN device added to my AT&T shared family data plan.

I almost never use the Tmobile wifi sim in my iPad, and only occasionally (and only for checking pop3 email) to I use the WWAN in my laptop.

Can I simply a) move the Tmobile sim to the Thinkpad, and b) then cancel the Thinkpad WWAN from my shared family data plan?

What software would I need? (I presume the AT&T connection manager software isn't going to recognize a Tmobile sim)

TIA!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
I think no, but its worth a try. I think the T Mobile SIM is married to the device it was activated on (IMEI number).
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:25 am

I don't think you can. On T-mobile site, it said

Free Data for Life can only be used on that specific tablet.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by cblaisd
...<<<snipped>>>...Can I simply a) move the Tmobile sim to the Thinkpad, and b) then cancel the Thinkpad WWAN from my shared family data plan?...<<<snipped>>>...
If your ThinkPad came with an in-built SIM tray with an AT&T SIM, then chances are that your device is SIM locked to AT&T and you may have to have it unlocked. I have an older ThinkPad X61 (which has a small stick antenna on the side which you pull out to get a good connection) which I use as a backup device for my Surface Pro. When I opened up the case and tried to use a non-AT&T SIM I could not get cellular connection and only an AT&T SIM worked.

If your wireless modem is SIM locked you may find a used unlocked one on eBay or you may try getting it unlocked by one of several online services.

Last edited by ROW2Aisle; Nov 21, 2017 at 7:12 pm Reason: To add note on getting the device unlocked
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:49 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Is there a way to find out if the modem card is sim-locked without putting the Tmobile sim in it?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Well, I went ahead and tried it. It works, sort of.

Access Connections connects just fine -- but only at Edge speeds.

And still having the timeout issue after 1-3 minutes.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Well, I went ahead and tried it. It works, sort of.

Access Connections connects just fine -- but only at Edge speeds...
Here is a web site to get useful information about a cellular device once you get the IMEI information from the properties in Device Manager. You need to be able to send the modified GSM AT commands (Modified Hayes Modem Commands) to the modem to make changes. I don't recall the steps I took to send the commands to the modem from the Windows Command Prompt and perhaps this site may have some useful information.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Buy an Ericsson F5321GW for $10 on eBay - a lot of WWAN cards didn't take well to Windows 10.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

I have Windows 7 Pro

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.