Search

Help Syncing Outlook 2016 contacts & calendar to iPhone

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Help Syncing Outlook 2016 contacts & calendar to iPhone

I made the terrible mistake of updating my Office 2007 to Office 2016 while I could still buy a client copy. After spending half a day trying to get my email to work properly and as it used to, I gave up and will deal with it as it is.

Then I discovered another big problem..... iTunes will no longer sync my Outlook calendar & contacts. It worked perfectly before. Note that I use my desktop version of contact & calendar to send TO the phone and not the other way around.

I spoke with Microsoft, which told me it is not supported (!!!!!) and that it might work if I used iCloud and/or the MS version, and Apple tried valiantly to get it to sync, but it still wouldn't work. I have been searching to find a solution, and the best I could find is to get a 3rd party solution that will do the sync from the outlook.pst file. One mentioned was Sync2Cloud, and I did see another product that did not involve the cloud and synced via wifi.

I did read that one person and a very determined Apple rep discovered that calendars & contacts were syncing, just to the wrong folder. Once it was corrected by copying to the correct folder, it started working again. But there were no further details, such as which folder (I assume one of the itunes folders on my computer).

Anyone here have any ideas what I should do or try next?

Thanks.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I made the terrible mistake of updating my Office 2007 to Office 2016 while I could still buy a client copy. After spending half a day trying to get my email to work properly and as it used to, I gave up and will deal with it as it is.

Then I discovered another big problem..... iTunes will no longer sync my Outlook calendar & contacts. It worked perfectly before. Note that I use my desktop version of contact & calendar to send TO the phone and not the other way around.
<<<snipped>>>
I have no problem syncing my Windows 10 Outlook 2016 to my iPhone using iTunes and a USB cable. From your reference to iCloud I infer that you may be on a Mac platform. In Windows I run iTunes in Admin mode and then select the connected iPhone, then select "Info" in the side bar and then select the appropriate boxes and include Contacts and Calendar from the Advanced box.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I failed to mention I'm on Windows 10.

I only referred to icloud because it was a suggestion from them to download iCloud for Windows.

I normally sync exactly as you say. However, I don't know if I'm running it in Admin mode. Can you tell me how? Are you syncing email? I'm just trying to get contacts & calendars.

As I said, it all worked just fine until I upgraded to Office 2016.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I spoke with Microsoft, which told me it is not supported (!!!!!) and that it might work if I used iCloud and/or the MS version, and Apple tried valiantly to get it to sync, but it still wouldn't work. I have been searching to find a solution, and the best I could find is to get a 3rd party solution that will do the sync from the outlook.pst file. One mentioned was Sync2Cloud, and I did see another product that did not involve the cloud and synced via wifi.

I did read that one person and a very determined Apple rep discovered that calendars & contacts were syncing, just to the wrong folder. Once it was corrected by copying to the correct folder, it started working again. But there were no further details, such as which folder (I assume one of the itunes folders on my computer).

Anyone here have any ideas what I should do or try next?

Thanks.
Click the Windows icon in the task bar, then go up to Control Panel, Add/Remove programs, then select Microsoft outlook.

When it's finished uninstalling, sign up for a web-based email/contacts/calendar account.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Thanks. I failed to mention I'm on Windows 10.

I only referred to icloud because it was a suggestion from them to download iCloud for Windows.

I normally sync exactly as you say. However, I don't know if I'm running it in Admin mode. Can you tell me how? Are you syncing email? I'm just trying to get contacts & calendars.

As I said, it all worked just fine until I upgraded to Office 2016.
Right click on the iTunes icon and you'll see the option to "Run as Administrator" which is what you need to select.

I don't sync my mail as I prefer to use my Surface Pro 4 to keep all my email on my laptop. I've configured my incoming mail as POP mail so that I have everything on my laptop going back decades and have them removed from the incoming mail server. I have also configured my two smartphones (iPhone and Android) with the appropriate settings so that I can read new mail if I need to that has not already been downloaded to my laptop and removed from the mail server.

My pst files are automatically backed up to two NAS devices on my network which are also accessible via VPN when I'm travelling and so I don't have to worry about losing decades of mail or other files. They are also backed up to OneDrive.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by nerd
Click the Windows icon in the task bar, then go up to Control Panel, Add/Remove programs, then select Microsoft outlook.

When it's finished uninstalling, sign up for a web-based email/contacts/calendar account.
Totally useless post and does not address the OP's problem.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle
Well, it would help the OP get emails/contacts/calendar synced on an ongoing-basis, which is what she is having problems with.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd

LOL... I uninstalled and reinstalled Office at least 3x trying to get it to work like it did in 2007. What's one more time ?? But seriously, I want to keep using it.

I took it in the light intended, which was a joke.

Right click on the iTunes icon and you'll see the option to "Run as Administrator" which is what you need to select.

I don't sync my mail as I prefer to use my Surface Pro 4 to keep all my email on my laptop. I've configured my incoming mail as POP mail so that I have everything on my laptop going back decades and have them removed from the incoming mail server. I have also configured my two smartphones (iPhone and Android) with the appropriate settings so that I can read new mail if I need to that has not already been downloaded to my laptop and removed from the mail server.

My pst files are automatically backed up to two NAS devices on my network which are also accessible via VPN when I'm travelling and so I don't have to worry about losing decades of mail or other files. They are also backed up to OneDrive.
Thanks. I suspected that would be it. I understand that it will work if you run your email account as an exchange account. I also backup my .pst to a couple of different places, but it's just a backup, I don't access it when I'm away.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Trying to follow along here... what kind of email account are you using -- is it POP3-based without any kind of cloud-based architecture? Just wanting to understand why the need to use one specific PC as the 'master' (I know this doesn't specifically address the OP's question but would still like to understand.)
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by tai4de2
Trying to follow along here... what kind of email account are you using -- is it POP3-based without any kind of cloud-based architecture? Just wanting to understand why the need to use one specific PC as the 'master' (I know this doesn't specifically address the OP's question but would still like to understand.)
Must be. Otherwise OP could just sync online.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
That is my question as well. What is the Outlook getting mail from? My iPhone syncs to multiple email accounts but never Outlook although my copies of Outlook do sync to one of those accounts. I’m not clear on the setup here. What is the email server?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:36 pm

To Mary2e. When your phone is selected in iTunes, in the "Info" sidebar selection check to make sure that you have selected Outlook as the source to sync with and not Windows contact or any other calendars or contacts. In addition, in the Advanced selection box where it shows "Replace Information on this iPhone" make sure that you select Calendar and Contacts
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:26 am
Original Poster

I am trying to sync with an IMAP account - AOL to be specific. It is my main email and all I use for most of my correspondence. I have gmail accounts, but I don't sync them. I just leave them in those account and access either via web client or as one of the email accounts on my phone. I like to use the contacts & calendar because I find it easier to store things in one place an move them to my phone as necessary. I also find Outlook to be more feature rich, though I haven't investigated other services such as gmail, etc.

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Must be. Otherwise OP could just sync online.
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
That is my question as well. What is the Outlook getting mail from? My iPhone syncs to multiple email accounts but never Outlook although my copies of Outlook do sync to one of those accounts. I’m not clear on the setup here. What is the email server?
I have 2 AOL IMAP accounts and that's all I'm trying to sync. Actually, it's not even necessary that I sync one of them.

To Mary2e. When your phone is selected in iTunes, in the "Info" sidebar selection check to make sure that you have selected Outlook as the source to sync with and not Windows contact or any other calendars or contacts. In addition, in the Advanced selection box where it shows "Replace Information on this iPhone" make sure that you select Calendar and Contacts
I'm 100% certain of that.

I also tried running iTunes as an admin with the same results. Syncing gets stuck on contacts and doesn't go any further.

To review - I changed nothing except for new Office software. Everything worked perfectly before the upgrade.

I suspect that there is really no way to do it now without using a 3rd party service until MS & Apple get together and decide to allow this type of sharing. From the best I can see, others who also use outlook calendars & contacts as their primary source have the same issue, though some have started using Sync2Cloud to get the data moved back and forther.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
An iPhone can apparently sync natively with an AOL email account -- or at least when adding an account on an iPhone, AOL is one of the choices. It seems it's also possible to get contacts and calendar from an AOL account via CardDAV (also native on the iPhone).
https://help.aol.com/articles/aol-mail-mobile-mail
http://www.betterhostreview.com/aol-...ad-iphone.html

Settings -> Accounts & Passwords -> Add Account

I realize that this is not answering the OP's specific question, but in the bigger picture may provide a solution.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:23 am

....<<<snipped>>>....
I suspect that there is really no way to do it now without using a 3rd party service until MS & Apple get together and decide to allow this type of sharing. From the best I can see, others who also use outlook calendars & contacts as their primary source have the same issue, though some have started using Sync2Cloud to get the data moved back and forther.
I've had no problems syncing my contacts and calendar from Office 2016 to my iPhone on Windows 10 and don't use any third party software and I sync every day. I wonder if your computer has lost its trusted computer status in your iPhone or requires an update driver in Windows.
The trusted computer status can be reset in your iPhone Settings by selecting General, Reset, and then Reset Location and Privacy.
Another thing to try in Windows 10 is to go to Device Manager in Control Panel, then select Portable Devices and then try to update the driver.
Does your iPhone show up as device in Windows File Explorer when it is connected via USB and if so can you see its contents in the Internal Storage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.