Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Can Verizon Ellipsis Jetpacks bypass Gogo Inflight?

Old Oct 21, 17, 6:41 pm
Moderator: Travel with Pets
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Verizon Ellipsis Jetpack hijacks Gogo Inflight, we can't connect to Delta Studio

I was on DL966 MIA-LGA today and it took me over a half hour for me to connect to GoGo because there were 2 Verizon Ellipsis Jetpacks stealing the GoGo bandwidth and we could not connect with the Delta Studio. Others could not connect at all and simply gave up. There were several people complaining to the FA's and finally they made an announcement asking whoever had these devices to turn them off. One of the FA's mentioned to me that they couldn't even connect with their credit card scanners because of this interference.
Old Oct 21, 17, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
I noticed a couple of these on my flights this week and was wondering if they were being used in someway to get WiFi without have to go through GoGo.
Old Oct 21, 17, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ledfish View Post
I noticed a couple of these on my flights this week and was wondering if they were being used in someway to get WiFi without have to go through GoGo.
Yes and they are stealing the bandwidth from Gogo so many have issues connecting.
Old Oct 21, 17, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL peon
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp View Post
One of the FA's mentioned to me that they couldn't even connect with their credit card scanners because of this interference.
Well, one would think this would get DL's attention.
AANYC1981 and hi55us like this.
Old Oct 21, 17, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Detroiter View Post
Well, one would think this would get DL's attention.
I agree, there were 2 doing this on my flight and people were pissed!
Old Oct 21, 17, 10:39 pm

How do the jetpacks steal all the Gogo bandwidth? I thought jetpacks are for creating a wireless network using cell signal. How do they interfere with gogo?
Old Oct 21, 17, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ATLMike1234 View Post
How do the jetpacks steal all the Gogo bandwidth? I thought jetpacks are for creating a wireless network using cell signal. How do they interfere with gogo?
Most likely the Jetpacks were set to use the same channel as GoGo. Can cause prpblems with bandwidth/connection. Other issue is if the device has a malfunction. In that case it can prevent others from even seeing other wifi networks and even if see it, prevent a connection to the network.

Jetpack should've been turned off. It's not approved device for use in flight and it's not going to be connected anyway.
Old Oct 22, 17, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Most likely the Jetpacks were set to use the same channel as GoGo. Can cause prpblems with bandwidth/connection. Other issue is if the device has a malfunction. In that case it can prevent others from even seeing other wifi networks and even if see it, prevent a connection to the network.

Jetpack should've been turned off. It's not approved device for use in flight and it's not going to be connected anyway.
Are you sure about that last statement? The FA I spoke to said that she had seen them being used on many flights lately, that they were causing major issues for other passengers trying to connect to Gogo and it would be a major coincidence that all of these people would have their jetpacks powered on if they weren't using them.
Old Oct 22, 17, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Are you sure about that last statement? The FA I spoke to said that she had seen them being used on many flights lately, that they were causing major issues for other passengers trying to connect to Gogo and it would be a major coincidence that all of these people would have their jetpacks powered on if they weren't using them.
They may be on, but shouldn't be connecting to a network.
Old Oct 22, 17, 6:49 am
Original Poster

They may be on, but shouldn't be connecting to a network.
IMO, there will be no reason to have these Jetpacks powered on unless people were using them. Especially considering they were two being used on my 717.
Old Oct 22, 17, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

IMO, there will be no reason to have these Jetpacks powered on unless people were using them. Especially considering they were two being used on my 717.
They might pick it up, however I'm betting most get left on by accident.
Old Oct 22, 17, 7:16 am
Original Poster

They might pick it up, however I'm betting most get left on by accident.
One maybe, two maybe not. Either way they are connecting to the same server as Gogo and robbing us of bandwidth.
Old Oct 22, 17, 7:24 am
Original Poster

On a DL flight yesterday, 2 people were using Verizon Ellipsis Jetpacks and as a result a large number of passengers could not connect to Gogo as these Jetpacks were stealing the bandwidth. In fact the FA's could not even process payments on their credit card scanners. My question is whether these Ellipsis Jetpacks can actually be used to connect to the onboard server and by doing so allow people to circumvent having to pay for Gogo?
Old Oct 22, 17, 7:48 am

Programs: DL PM
One maybe, two maybe not. Either way they are connecting to the same server as Gogo and robbing us of bandwidth.
I have never seen or used a Jetpack device but my understanding is they receive Verizon 4G LTE spectrum and rebroadcast Wi-Fi. Someone please explain how this would interfere with GoGoís separate wi-fi network because I am not buying it. And donít say because a flight attendant said so. I say GoGo is just being GoGo.
ryandc99, Zeeb and hi55us like this.
Old Oct 22, 17, 7:53 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Did anyone report this to GoGo?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: