FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Can Verizon Ellipsis Jetpacks bypass Gogo Inflight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1873355-can-verizon-ellipsis-jetpacks-bypass-gogo-inflight.html)

RSSrsvp Oct 21, 2017 6:41 pm

Verizon Ellipsis Jetpack hijacks Gogo Inflight, we can't connect to Delta Studio

I was on DL966 MIA-LGA today and it took me over a half hour for me to connect to GoGo because there were 2 Verizon Ellipsis Jetpacks stealing the GoGo bandwidth and we could not connect with the Delta Studio. Others could not connect at all and simply gave up. There were several people complaining to the FA's and finally they made an announcement asking whoever had these devices to turn them off. One of the FA's mentioned to me that they couldn't even connect with their credit card scanners because of this interference.

Ledfish Oct 21, 2017 8:33 pm

I noticed a couple of these on my flights this week and was wondering if they were being used in someway to get WiFi without have to go through GoGo.

RSSrsvp Oct 21, 2017 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ledfish (Post 28961057)
I noticed a couple of these on my flights this week and was wondering if they were being used in someway to get WiFi without have to go through GoGo.

Yes and they are stealing the bandwidth from Gogo so many have issues connecting.

Detroiter Oct 21, 2017 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp (Post 28960803)
One of the FA's mentioned to me that they couldn't even connect with their credit card scanners because of this interference.

Well, one would think this would get DL's attention. :D

RSSrsvp Oct 21, 2017 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Detroiter (Post 28961212)
Well, one would think this would get DL's attention. :D

I agree, there were 2 doing this on my flight and people were pissed! :mad:

ATLMike1234 Oct 21, 2017 10:39 pm

How do the jetpacks steal all the Gogo bandwidth? I thought jetpacks are for creating a wireless network using cell signal. How do they interfere with gogo?

flyerCO Oct 21, 2017 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by ATLMike1234 (Post 28961286)
How do the jetpacks steal all the Gogo bandwidth? I thought jetpacks are for creating a wireless network using cell signal. How do they interfere with gogo?

Most likely the Jetpacks were set to use the same channel as GoGo. Can cause prpblems with bandwidth/connection. Other issue is if the device has a malfunction. In that case it can prevent others from even seeing other wifi networks and even if see it, prevent a connection to the network.

Jetpack should've been turned off. It's not approved device for use in flight and it's not going to be connected anyway.

RSSrsvp Oct 22, 2017 5:59 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 28961301)
Most likely the Jetpacks were set to use the same channel as GoGo. Can cause prpblems with bandwidth/connection. Other issue is if the device has a malfunction. In that case it can prevent others from even seeing other wifi networks and even if see it, prevent a connection to the network.

Jetpack should've been turned off. It's not approved device for use in flight and it's not going to be connected anyway.

Are you sure about that last statement? The FA I spoke to said that she had seen them being used on many flights lately, that they were causing major issues for other passengers trying to connect to Gogo and it would be a major coincidence that all of these people would have their jetpacks powered on if they weren't using them.

flyerCO Oct 22, 2017 6:39 am

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp (Post 28961919)
Are you sure about that last statement? The FA I spoke to said that she had seen them being used on many flights lately, that they were causing major issues for other passengers trying to connect to Gogo and it would be a major coincidence that all of these people would have their jetpacks powered on if they weren't using them.

They may be on, but shouldn't be connecting to a network.

RSSrsvp Oct 22, 2017 6:49 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 28962000)
They may be on, but shouldn't be connecting to a network.

IMO, there will be no reason to have these Jetpacks powered on unless people were using them. Especially considering they were two being used on my 717.

flyerCO Oct 22, 2017 6:51 am

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp (Post 28962027)
IMO, there will be no reason to have these Jetpacks powered on unless people were using them. Especially considering they were two being used on my 717.

They might pick it up, however I'm betting most get left on by accident.

RSSrsvp Oct 22, 2017 7:16 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 28962034)
They might pick it up, however I'm betting most get left on by accident.

One maybe, two maybe not. Either way they are connecting to the same server as Gogo and robbing us of bandwidth.

RSSrsvp Oct 22, 2017 7:24 am

Can Verizon Ellipsis Jetpacks bypass Gogo Inflight?

On a DL flight yesterday, 2 people were using Verizon Ellipsis Jetpacks and as a result a large number of passengers could not connect to Gogo as these Jetpacks were stealing the bandwidth. In fact the FA's could not even process payments on their credit card scanners. My question is whether these Ellipsis Jetpacks can actually be used to connect to the onboard server and by doing so allow people to circumvent having to pay for Gogo?

DLASflyer Oct 22, 2017 7:48 am

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp (Post 28962099)
One maybe, two maybe not. Either way they are connecting to the same server as Gogo and robbing us of bandwidth.

I have never seen or used a Jetpack device but my understanding is they receive Verizon 4G LTE spectrum and rebroadcast Wi-Fi. Someone please explain how this would interfere with GoGo’s separate wi-fi network because I am not buying it. And don’t say because a flight attendant said so. I say GoGo is just being GoGo.

Xeno Oct 22, 2017 7:53 am

Did anyone report this to GoGo?