Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Can Verizon Ellipsis Jetpacks bypass Gogo Inflight?

Can Verizon Ellipsis Jetpacks bypass Gogo Inflight?

Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
Gogo was definitely on as that network appeared on my device.
Well, it was something else. The Jetpacks won't use the GoGo bandwidth. They create a WiFi signal, not use one. I've certainly seen GoGo showing up as a network on my iPad but not being able to connect to the ground. As I recall it even shows up under 10,000 feet but it doesn't work.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:45 am

Could it have been the possibility that one or more of the Jetpacks was operating on the same wifi channel/frequency as GoGo? There aren't a lot of channels to choose from in the 2.4GHz range, which I suspect is what GoGo uses.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
Could it have been the possibility that one or more of the Jetpacks was operating on the same wifi channel/frequency as GoGo? There aren't a lot of channels to choose from in the 2.4GHz range, which I suspect is what GoGo uses.
No. It's OK for different access points to use the same frequency.

My guess is that this is a case of confirmation bias. GoGo wasn't working on a previous flight. Someone pointed out to the FA that there was a Verizon JetPack network visible in their wifi networks list, and said they thought that was the cause of the problem.

Thereafter, the FA knew to look at an available wifi networks list when GoGo didn't work. They happened to see JetPack on the list and concluded that the previous passenger's explanation was right.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Bottom line is that Verizon Jetpacks are cell phones, not to used from the time the cabin doors are closed until the wheels are down on the runway.

I don't recall seeing any "airplane" mode for my Verizon Jetpack.

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
IMO, there will be no reason to have these Jetpacks powered on unless people were using them. Especially considering they were two being used on my 717.
They should not be powered on in flight except when cell phones are allowed. They are 4G LTE cell phones (capable of degrading to 3G or 2G as needed) with a wireless router built in.

Nobody is "stealing" the bandwidth. The frequencies allotted to 801.11 wireless are available to everyone provided that his devices conform to the IEEE specs (which I'm sure the Jetpack does).

Originally Posted by gabdusch
The Jetpack device is meant to create a Wifi hotspot using a 4G data signal.
The WiFi side of it is created with 802.11 hardware. The 4G (and sometimes 3G & 2G) communications is for the uplink to the internet.

Originally Posted by gabdusch
There is no 4G or any cellular signal available in flight. So it would not be of any use during cruise....
Simply not true. At my cabin in northern MN I have used my Verizon Jetpack approx 6-7 miles from the tower, with some small hills in the way. 4G performance was tolerable, occasionally dropping to 3G. If you are flying over an area well covered by Verizon towers, you should have no problem getting a signal 30,000 feet up.

Also recall that on 9/11, the passengers on UA 93 & AA 77 were talking to their families during the hijacking, and from all accounts the connections were working reliably.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Oct 24, 2017 at 12:18 pm
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Bottom line is that Verizon Jetpacks are cell phones, not to used from the time the cabin doors are closed until the wheels are down on the runway.

I don't recall seeing any "airplane" mode for my Verizon Jetpack.

They should not be powered on in flight except when cell phones are allowed. They are 4G LTE cell phones (capable of degrading to 3G or 2G as needed) with a wireless router built in.

Nobody is "stealing" the bandwidth. The frequencies allotted to 801.11 wireless are available to everyone provided that his devices conform to the IEEE specs (which I'm sure the Jetpack does).

The WiFi side of it is created with 802.11 hardware. The 4G (and sometimes 3G & 2G) communications is for the uplink to the internet.

Simply not true. At my cabin in northern MN I have used my Verizon Jetpack approx 6-7 miles from the tower, with some small hills in the way. 4G performance was tolerable, occasionally dropping to 3G. If you are flying over an area well covered by Verizon towers, you should have no problem getting a signal 30,000 feet up.

Also recall that on 9/11, the passengers on UA 93 & AA 77 were talking to their families during the hijacking, and from all accounts the connections were working reliably.
I agree with the substantial majority of what you said, however cell tower antennae are typically directional and are not pointed up at the sky. Quite the opposite - the antennae are optimized to get a signal to people on the ground. It may be possible to receive a signal - even a usable one - at lower altitudes, but certainly not at cruise. On 9/11, keep in mind some of the planes were still equipped with air phones, and the cell phone calls that did go through were believed to only do so due to the planes' low altitudes.

After all, as you stated first, a mobile hotspot is basically a cell phone without the voice capabilities. You don't see everyone with a Verizon phone passing on a Gogo plan because their phones are usable in the sky.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I see people leaving their hotspots on (or their phones in hotspot mode) on virtually 100% of flights. The fact that someone saw a hotspot in their wifi list when GoGo wasn't working really has no correlation.

This is something many people are misinformed about. It is much MUCH better to have two networks on the same frequency than on adjacent frequencies. Frequency bands 1 and 2 overlap almost totally. 1 and 3 overlap a little. Likewise 2 and 3 overlap a lot and 2 and 4 a little, etc, etc. Wifi has mechanisms to share frequencies but this only works if they are in the same exact channel band. What this means is that there are only a maximum of 3 non-overlapping channels 1, 6, and 11. Anyone who sets their wifi network to channels 2-5 or 7-10 when 1, 6, and 11 are the norm is not only making their own device go slower but slowing down everyone else around them. It is a (censored) dork (/censored) move. Use 1, 6, and 11 on 2.4GHz.

https://www.metageek.com/training/re...ls-1-6-11.html
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:19 pm

Really, thinking about this a bit will show how implausible it is. JetPacks do not receive WiFi signals, so they can't receive the GoGo WiFi signal on the plane. Most places I go there are multiple WiFi networks to choose from. One is selected but no matter what, the others aren't interfering.

These JetPacks receive a Verizon LTE (cellular) signal. Unless the GoGo does the same from ground based towers, they wouldn't interfere. If they were capable of interfering with that signal then anytime someone turned on a JetPack on the ground, it would interfere with all cell phone signals farther from the tower than the JetPack - in other words all planes and most ground based cell phones. Of course this doesn't happen. And neither did the interference on the plane.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Oct 24, 2017 at 2:38 pm
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Most useful comment from the DL Forum thread by user BenA. I feel like it should be "case closed" after his comment.

Originally Posted by BenA
As an engineer who deals with Wi-Fi all the time, it’s highly unlikely the mobile hotspots were the cause of the problem.

For one, there are typically 3+ Gogo access points on each aircraft, so the hotspots (with their relatively small antenna) would easily be overpowered by the Gogo APs... and if only two mobile hotspots were present on the plane, at least one of the zones should have been fully unaffected.

Furthermore, I believe the three APs each use unique channels (1,6,11) - so that further reduces the likelihood of WiFi interference. And even if everything was on the same channel, WiFi is designed to work anyway - otherwise apartment dwellers would never have working Internet. (I can see 35+ APs from my condo, for example.)

For two, my understanding is that Delta Studio content is served up from an onboard server. No downlink to the ground is involved, so since it wasn’t working on OP’s flight we can entirely eliminate cellular service as a variable.

What really likely happened here is that the Gogo system was on the fritz of its own volition, and the FAs only source of troubleshooting was other things they saw advertised in the WiFi settings on their phone. That registered as something they thought might be a problem, so they made an announcement asking people to turn them off.

Remember, there’s nothing special about a mobile hotspot - it’s just the guts of a cheap smart phone in a box with a big battery and some dedicated software. They should definitely be in flight mode to prevent them from searching for cell network signal at high power, just like a phone should, but that wouldn’t cause WiFi issues or problems with Delta Studio, so we can eliminate that as a cause of OP’s issues.

On nearly every flight I’ve taken, somebody has forgotten to turn off their mobile hotspot - and it never causes problems with Gogo. It’s unfortunate that OP’s flight was having issues, and I’m sure the FAs were trying to troubleshoot in good faith, but it’s extremely unlikely this was an interference issue.
Also, if interference were such an issue, we'd never be able to connect in condos/apts (as BenA points out) or in coffee shops where there are multiple jetpacks, phones sending wifi signals, and others using the store wifi. Or airports, for that matter.
crank1225 and ajGoes like this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:15 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Upon discussion with the OP, we have merged two threads that were started in different forums (Delta and Travel Technology). This assures that the subject gets the widest audience, since the problem isn't truly limited to DL.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
JetPacks do not receive WiFi signals
Yes, they do.

Jetpacks connect to Verizon via cell phone (usually 4G LTE). They communicate with their end users either via direct USB connection, or they can support a WiFi hotspot with up to 10 users.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Yes, they do.

Jetpacks connect to Verizon via cell phone (usually 4G LTE). They communicate with their end users either via direct USB connection, or they can support a WiFi hotspot with up to 10 users.
You actually said yes they do, then went on to explain, correctly, that they don’t. LTE is not WiFi.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:55 pm

You actually said yes they do, then went on to explain, correctly, that they don’t. LTE is not WiFi.
If they can't receive wifi signals, how can they provide hotspot functionality? they have to provide both send-and-receive LTE and wifi.
MikeMpls and ajGoes like this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:45 pm

If they can't receive wifi signals, how can they provide hotspot functionality? they have to provide both send-and-receive LTE and wifi.
They cannot log on to a WiFi network though, only to LTE networks. They can only serve as a WiFi hotspot to provide a connection for other devices.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:00 pm

They cannot log on to a WiFi network though, only to LTE networks. They can only serve as a WiFi hotspot to provide a connection for other devices.
Of course. I was simply disagreeing with what I felt was an over-broad description of the hotspot's wifi functionality, and I believe that was MikeMpls' issue with it as well.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I don't pretend to know that much about how this stuff works, so can you explain why a mobile hotspot would need to receive a WiFi signal?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.