Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Can Verizon Ellipsis Jetpacks bypass Gogo Inflight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Gotcha. I've neer used the jetpack so didn't know if that feature was built-in.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by danielonn
I could also not connect to Gogo Wifi on both CRJ jets and it kept saying obtaining IP address on my Android Cellphone and would not bring me to the TMobile Gogo Login Page.
I've had significant problems getting gogo wifi on CRJ's lately. Way worse than previously even. Its gotten to the point where I now fly the route that gets me the most bigger jet coverage just because wifi is so important to me while I fly.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL GM
This thread is hilarious. People with actual knowledge of wifi systems and portable hotspots debunking all speculation. But still people are widely speculating, depsite not having any actual knowledge of the systems. The Internet at it's finest.

PS. The JetPacks didnt interfere with the wifi.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
How so? It's causing interference with the GoGo signal, thus preventing use. It's not using the signal, nor reading it. This is unfortunately a not rare occurrence with Wifi devices.
Interference isn't a binary thing. Even if the jetpack is using the same channel, it won't just make gogo 100% useless. It might (and this is a MIGHT) cause some signal degredation, possibly some slowdowns, but we have zero evidence that this is what was occuring here. Wifi isn't as fragile as some people here are implying, just having different access points on the same channel isn't a complete disaster.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Even if the Jetpacks were connected they wouldn’t interfere with GoGo. They aren’t related systems. Jetpacks don’t use the GoGo WiFi. They use cell service.
No argument on that point. I just couldn't help but point out the another flaw in the FA's explanation.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
No argument on that point. I just couldn't help but point out the another flaw in the FA's explanation.
Understood. I think the FAs were just making something up. Probably the pilot forgot to turn on the GoGo system or something.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 1973 Ford Pinto
Interference isn't a binary thing. Even if the jetpack is using the same channel, it won't just make gogo 100% useless. It might (and this is a MIGHT) cause some signal degredation, possibly some slowdowns, but we have zero evidence that this is what was occuring here. Wifi isn't as fragile as some people here are implying, just having different access points on the same channel isn't a complete disaster.
I'd say it was probably GoGo just operating as normal. IE not.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Understood. I think the FAs were just making something up.
Agreed. From a technical standpoint, what the FAs allege is impossible.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Question for the wifi experts - is there a thread here anywhere that discusses/describes the Jetpack? For example, I hate to use hotel wifi b/c it's not secure. Would the Jetpack make my wifi connection more secure?

Again, if there is a better thread to deal with this question, my apologies. Please point me in the right direction. Thank you!!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
Question for the wifi experts - is there a thread here anywhere that discusses/describes the Jetpack? For example, I hate to use hotel wifi b/c it's not secure. Would the Jetpack make my wifi connection more secure?

Again, if there is a better thread to deal with this question, my apologies. Please point me in the right direction. Thank you!!
Not sure there is a thread here, but yes, using a Jetpack or other cellular wifi hotspot is more secure than hotel wifi for the following reasons:

1) You create your own wifi network using your mobile hotspot and have control over its security settings. So unlike most hotel wifi, which is open and unencrypted, you can enable WPA2 and protect the traffic between your devices and your wifi hotspot. (Note that most sensitive traffic - such as when you log in to your bank - should already be protected by HTTPS even when using public wifi networks... and you can also use a VPN to mitigate this risk... but having your own encrypted wifi network is another layer of protection.)

2) No one else can (without great effort) connect to the wifi network set up by your mobile hotspot, so your computer is not sharing a network with other devices that may be compromised or malicious, and attempting to breach your own computer.

3) The mobile hotspot connects directly to your cellular provider, so your traffic is shielded from the hotel's network and internet service provider.

4) Prying eyes (well, except for government) cannot easily intercept traffic between your mobile hotspot and your cellular network, so your traffic is shielded from eavesdroppers during that hop also.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC

Javabytes is right on target here. Using your own network via a hotspot is definitely a little better and helps protect from malicious computers sharing the local network, but you can’t really trust *any* internet connection to be truly secure from eavesdropping - the security really needs to come from your communications with the remote server. That means security for corporate data should be provided by a VPN back to your company's network, and security for general web browsing is best achieved by always using HTTPS whenever possible (so an intruder can only see which server you’re connecting to, not the information you’re requesting or sending).

I really like the Chrome extension “HTTPS Everywhere”, which automatically attempts to use https whenever possible even if you request the insecure version of the page. Nearly every web server supports it these days!

That said, this is rapidly straying from Delta-relevant conversations and would be a better topic for the Travel Technology forum. If you want to start a thread there and post the link here, I’ll make sure to follow the discussion over to its new home
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenA
That said, this is rapidly straying from Delta-relevant conversations and would be a better topic for the Travel Technology forum. If you want to start a thread there and post the link here, I’ll make sure to follow the discussion over to its new home
Interestingly, OP already cross-posted it.

Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by javabytes
Interestingly, OP already cross-posted it.

Hmm...
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold

The security provided by WPA2 used by jetpacks etc is basically the difference between having no door and having a screen door with no lock. It might (maybe) keep people from randomly wandering in but if someone wants to get in it's not going to stop them.

If you're concerned about security you should be using a VPN regardless of what access point you're connecting to.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Understood. I think the FAs were just making something up. Probably the pilot forgot to turn on the GoGo system or something.
Gogo was definitely on as that network appeared on my device.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.